What if we could delay/eliminate menopause so women could breed for longer??
January 26, 2024
Oh yeah, and help reduce or prevent menopause symptoms because they suck, but guys what if we could extend reproductive longevity because that's more important?!

Because yes, let's give serial breeders a way to make babies in their 70s and 80s. You know they'll do it. The idea of helping women not suffer through menopause is a nice concept for sure and I'm all for it, but do we really need something that will help people make even more unnecessary people?

The theory is that healthy ovarian tissue can be taken from a pre-menopausal woman and frozen, then re-implanted to stave off menopause symptoms, up to and including the infertility that accompanies The ChangeTM. But there are risks: if too little tissue is harvested, it might not have the intended effect. If too much is harvested, it could cause early onset menopause.

It also specifies that the potential for this to work is only for healthy women. I wonder what exactly qualifies as healthy? Being a healthy weight? Having no underlying diseases? Having no diagnosed mental illnesses? I have to assume this would only be for rich, healthy women because surely freezing tissue costs a fortune. Which is good, from the breeding aspect. It means no welfare Moos will be getting tissue re-implantation done to keep popping out loaves at age 55.

https://www.earth.com/news/study-suggests-menopause-can-be-delayed-or-even-eliminated/

In an age where medical science continually pushes the boundaries of what’s possible, a new and intriguing research area is emerging, focusing on the potential to delay or even prevent menopause in healthy women.

This research, centered around ovarian tissue freezing, is not just a scientific curiosity but could hold significant implications for women’s health and reproductive longevity.

Paradigm shift in menopause research
The topic of menopause, a natural yet complex phase in a woman’s life, is undergoing a radical re-evaluation. Experts are exploring the possibilities of extending child-bearing years and alleviating health risks and symptoms associated with decreased estrogen levels.

The debate is intense, with some seeing immense potential benefits and others cautioning against altering a natural life stage. At the forefront of this exploration is Dr. Kutluk Oktay, a renowned ovarian biologist at Yale School of Medicine (YSM).

Dr. Oktay, who performed the world’s first ovarian transplant using cryopreserved tissue in 1999, envisions a future where ovarian tissue freezing could significantly delay or prevent menopause. “For the first time in medical history, we have the ability to potentially delay or eliminate menopause.”

Mathematical model
Utilizing data from numerous ovarian cryopreservation and transplantation procedures, Dr. Oktay and his team have developed a mathematical model to predict the potential duration of menopause delay in healthy women based on various factors, including the age at procedure and the quantity of ovarian tissue harvested.

The model takes into account the survival rates of primordial follicles post-transplantation, which are expected to improve with advancing technologies.

Ovarian tissue cryopreservation
Originally used in cancer patients to preserve fertility, this procedure involves laparoscopic removal and freezing of ovarian tissue at temperatures as low as negative 320 degrees Fahrenheit. The preserved tissue can later be reimplanted, restoring ovarian function.

The new research expands this technique’s potential to healthy women, offering a way to extend their fertile lifespan and potentially delay menopause.

According to Dr. Oktay, the younger the patient, the better the potential outcomes, with the model being most effective for women under 40. The amount of tissue removed is also critical – too much could lead to early menopause, while too little may not delay it effectively. The model assists in determining the optimum amount of tissue for a given age.

Prospects for delaying menopause
Dr. Oktay’s predictions are optimistic. For women under 40, the procedure could significantly delay menopause, and for those under 30, it might prevent it entirely. Dr. Hugh S. Taylor, Chair at YSM, emphasizes the appeal of this option, especially for women who wish to defer pregnancy for professional or personal reasons.

Delaying menopause could also offer health benefits, as studies suggest that a later menopausal age is associated with longer life and reduced risks of various conditions like cardiovascular disease and bone loss. However, whether these benefits would apply to women who delay menopause through ovarian tissue cryopreservation remains to be fully understood.

Future research
While the publication of studies on the outcomes for healthy women who opt for this procedure is still forthcoming, the current research and mathematical model offer a promising start.

The potential to change the way menopause is perceived and managed is immense, but it comes with the need for continued research to fully understand the long-term benefits and risks.
Yeah, let's make more orphans.
Uh.....NO
I hate having my periods, but I think I'm going to hate menopause more. If this procedure had been established when I was younger, I'd have done it. But I'm also safely sterilized.

You know who will be able to afford this procedure? People who aren't saving for having a child, aka, us.
But I thought most women looked forward to the change: No more worries about pregnancy and save a lot of money not buying "products for women" That is what my sisters tell me.

then again, all this is more money for the makers of products for women.
As someone who is always cold, I'm wondering if the hot flashes that accompany menopause might be welcome because I might finally be warm for a change.

I assume the onset of menopause elicits different reactions for different women. Some likely mourn the loss of their fertility, either because they weren't done having kids, didn't get to have kids, or because it makes them feel "old" to no longer be fertile. Meanwhile others might feel a sense of relief over no more periods, no more need to buy menstrual products and no more need for hormonal contraception.

Even if I could afford this procedure to reduce the severity of menopause symptoms, I would fall into the age bracket where I could only delay symptoms instead of eliminate them because I am older than 30, but younger than 40.

Still, women do not need the ability to make children in their 50s, 60s and beyond. Women have a couple fertile decades in adulthood during which they can reproduce, and if they miss the boat, they can just learn to deal with it. Nobody ever died from not breeding.

I'm sure this tissue implantation method does not improve the quality of the woman's eggs, meaning all the possible complications that can arise from a seriously geriatric pregnancy will still pose a threat. Especially when paired with old sperm from presumably similarly-aged male partners, which I'm sure sharply increases the chances of birth defects. Not to mention the risk of things like heart attacks and strokes goes up with age, so I assume any woman who used this method to get knocked up late in life would automatically be considered high risk.
The age groups are a bit suspect. Women go through this naturally at different ages, some in their 30's, some in their 40's and some not until their 50's. I suspect things like stress may cause menopause to come earlier.

I have heard (idiots who were not medical professionals) comments about how perimenopause can start in a woman's twenties. I think people like to use this as a scare tactic: they know a person doesn't have brats and think a comment like this might edge them towards wanting one now out of fear.

I just heard about Moringa (for preventing calcium loss) today and put it on order so I can make sure my bones maintain density.

It is too bad the medical community doesn't care more about quality of life and sustainment of that for both men and women. It is nearly always about freaking reproduction. And what nutcases want to sluice at 50+ anyways? The quiver Fulls can reproduce until they die with this technology, I guess?
My sister went into premature menopause in her late 20s, but her health was a car crash.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
craftyzits
My sister went into premature menopause in her late 20s, but her health was a car crash.

I'd like to think that is a tiny percentage but having a hysterectomy at any age can cause immediate menopause.
freya
craftyzits

I'd like to think that is a tiny percentage but having a hysterectomy at any age can cause immediate menopause.

She didn't have a hysterectomy, and died at 39. The menopause caused hot flashes. I think her periods stopped. The hormones were a wreck due to drug abuse and needed drug use for uncontrollable asthma as a child and baby.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
For a society that claims to be all about Da Children(TM) this is not an idea to benefit children. Just like womb transplants, it's all so some too-old-to-be-breeding Moo can shit a loaf.

The older you are, the less likely you are to see your kid grow up. Selfishness, they name is Breeder.

Nowhere is safe from Breeding. Even over at the reddit forum for menopause, some vapid twit started a thread wondering how many people had a period after age 40. She's 40.5 and she's "determined to have a kid with a great guy."

No mention of their being married and what he thinks of the idea. Forty years old and trying to baby trap a guy? Grow up, Lady.
You know she's stunted.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
bell_flower
The older you are, the less likely you are to see your kid grow up. Selfishness, they name is Breeder.

And yet everyone is wetting themselves over De Niro and Pacino having baybees at and over 80.
mr. neptune
But I thought most women looked forward to the change: No more worries about pregnancy and save a lot of money not buying "products for women" That is what my sisters tell me.

then again, all this is more money for the makers of products for women.

Dry skin, hot flashes, dry genitals, worry about loss of bone density...no that does not sound like something I'm looking forward to.

I'm already sterilized so I don't worry about getting pregnant and I use reusable period products, which have been widely available for at least a decade. Cramps are already not that bad compared to when I was young. I don't enjoy my periods, but they sure seem better than the alternative.
I'm in menopause and I thought it would be a lot worse than it is. I know that it's different for everyone, so I guess I lucked out. I do get night sweats which are awful, but not all the time. I'm relieved that I don't get my periods anymore (they were painful, horrible, debilitating and heavy) and my skin has improved which is weird, but my skin used to be oily with breakouts and now I don't get that.

I used to suffer with chronic anemia and my iron levels have been better since this all stopped. My moods are mellower too.

The best part is that I don't have to worry about being knocked up. Not that I'm actively dating anyone, but it's just nice to know that I no longer have to worry.

My mother, OTOH, was horrible when she got it. She became more violent, angry and unpredictable.

The only downside is some health-related stuff but I probably would've ended up with that no matter what.
Medusa
bell_flower

And yet everyone is wetting themselves over De Niro and Pacino having baybees at and over 80.

They are likely not even going to see their kids grow up. They need their ugly asses beaten.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all."
~Sigmund Freud
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login