Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moo, her sister and her kid all die of malnutrition and hypothermia when she decides to live off the grid

Posted by Cambion 
This actually happened last fall, but I forgot to share it at the time because I'm a dumbass. But the short version is a Moo decided to live off the grid and move herself, her sister and her teen son into the fucking Rockies with absolutely no outdoor survival experience. They subsisted off canned food for a while, but eventually they all succumbed to starvation and the elements.

I understand the allure of just saying fuck the world and walking off into the woods to live away from everyone and everything. But there is a lot of work and planning that has to go into living off the grid. It's a lot harder than just leaving everything behind and living in a tent.

I feel bad for the kid because he probably got dragged along or mistakenly trusted his maternal unit, meaning this asshat effectively killed her child because she wanted to go play in the woods. Some people who knew her did try to discourage her and suggested she try living "off the grid" in someone's backyard to see if she could hack it. Nope, that would make too much sense!

The kicker is another article described Moo as someone who would do anything to protect her son from harm. I guess forcing him to live in the woods and starve to death doesn't count as harm. From the sound of the article below, their bodies were all found at the same campsite. I seriously doubt they all died at exactly the same time, so why did the surviving two hang around after the first death? It sounds like intelligence doesn't run in this family.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/family-went-grid-colorado-wilderness-died-malnutrition-autopsy-finds-rcna103009

Two sisters and the teenage son of one of them who told family last year they would live "off the grid" died of hypothermia and malnutrition as they endured the elements in the Colorado wilderness, according to newly released autopsy reports.

Christine Vance, 41, Rebecca Vance, 42, and Rebecca's 14-year-old son were identified in July after three "partially mummified" bodies were discovered in a remote campsite in the Gunnison National Forest.

The teenager, who was not named publicly because of his age, weighed just 40 pounds, according to the autopsy from the Gunnison County coroner's office, first reported by The Colorado Sun. The average weight of a boy his age is 112 pounds, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Loved ones said that they were surprised the sisters would choose to forgo modern conveniences, but that Rebecca Vance had grown increasingly fearful of society after the Covid pandemic.

"It's hard to wrap your head around why they chose to go," Trevala Jara, their stepsister, said in July. "It's hard for me."

She said that Rebecca Vance had confided in her that she wanted to live in the wild.

Initially, Christine Vance didn't seem like she was going to accompany her sister but last summer, she arrived at her stepsister's home with an urn of their mother's ashes and their deceased parents' belongings for safekeeping, Jara said.

Jara said she pleaded with her stepsisters to go slow and test out living off the grid on a property, that she and her husband own in the mountains, that uses a generator. But she said Rebecca Vance declined.

None of them were known to be skilled in the outdoors. The sisters had explained in vague terms to other family members that they were going out of state, Jara said, but wouldn't detail exactly why and where.

"If you think you can go live off the grid and do it by just watching YouTube and the internet, think twice," Jara said. "You need to experience it first."

Gunnison County Coroner Michael Barnes previously speculated that the cause of the deaths may have been related to exposure to cold weather and malnutrition. It appeared they were burning tinder in empty soup cans inside their tent for heat, he said.

Dental records and fingerprints were used to help identify the bodies.

Investigators also found a "lean-to" type shelter, a roofed structure generally made from logs and used to protect from the elements, at the campsite.

Desiree McDonald, Rebecca Vance's friend and former co-worker at the now-defunct electronics chipmaker Atmel Corp., said in July that she had last texted with her at the end of 2020 as they were rekindling their friendship.

She said Rebecca Vance told her that her son was initially struggling with the transition to home-schooling and that she hoped life could go back to normal. She added that Rebecca Vance was a doting and loving mother, although McDonald hadn't seen either of them in years after they lost touch.

"I can definitely see Rebecca thinking that it was going to better their lives," McDonald said of her friend's decision to live in the outdoors. "I now know that they didn't prepare enough ahead of time. I just wish I knew."
The kid dropped from 100+ lbs to 40, and the adults couldn't have been in much better shape...why the hell didn't they go for help when they saw what was happening? These survivalist nutjobs, man. They're something else.
I occasionally watch that show Naked and Afraid. The bugs alone would do me in.

I don't get it. We spent thousands of years crawling out of the jungle, but these people want to crawl back in. No thanks.
I'm guessing this woman and her dumbass sister figured it would be living in a cabin with no outside human contact, but also with all the conveniences of living in society like internet, running water, phone service and easy access to food, but magically without needing to pay for any of it. Or that it would be like glamping.

Living off the grid is not easy. You have to secure a water source, grow your own food (or catch it), you probably won't be bathing nearly as much and probably won't have hot water to bathe or wash dishes. You have to make your own heat and know how to stoke a fire, which would be an absolute must in the mountains. You have to be prepared for animal attacks - I don't know what dangerous animals are in the Rockies, but if things like bears, coyotes and wolves live there, you would likely need a gun or other firearms. A gun would require bullets that you have to buy, unless you plan on doing some smelting.

So what was the plan when they ran out of canned food? My guess is they didn't think that far in the future and figured some canned beans would last them a lifetime. Which, in a sense, it kind of did. The lifetime just wasn't a long one.

And all of this is just stuff I assume is true of life off the grid, that I concluded by using common fucking sense. There's probably loads more to it that I don't grasp.

So did Moo just sit there and watch her kid starve to death? I wonder who died first. Were they so determined to stick to their shitty plan that they were totally unwilling to admit they have no clue what they're doing and go back to civilization?
save for the kid who had no choice, they darwinized themselves. despite their protestations, mootards don't give a shit about their kids+

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login