Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

For the first time in ~7 years, Seattle students can now be awarded "F"s

Posted by CFTeen 
Every once in a while there is some good news coming from our national education establishment. And *this* sure ought to count.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008257416_grading12m0.html

Sometime back the Seattle public school system drunk a serious dose of progressive education Kool-Aid and did away with giving F's for Fail to those who deserved it. Instead they got an N for No Credit, which didn't even affect their GPA. In short all consequences of flunking a class got thrown right out the window.

But the system has done an about-face. Failing grades are back "effective immediately". (with E's instead of F's, but they are back) While the official reason is that the N system was a technical violation, parents and staff are readily welcoming the return of consequences for the Bratfords and Snotleighs who won't give a rat's behind about their classes.

What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall in a big Seattle school when the news hits the classrooms. Gonna be a lot of students wailing and gnashing their teeth over this!!!
I think that's good. Giving "N"s doesn't serve the students best, ultimately, if it means their weakness in a subject that will benefit them in the future will just be swept under the "N" rug and not addressed.
Honestly, if you're troubled enough that you might fail a class, your GPA is probably among your lesser worries.

This is especially given the Carnegie credit system used in high schools.
Acme Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Honestly, if you're troubled enough that you might
> fail a class, your GPA is probably among your
> lesser worries.
>
> This is especially given the Carnegie credit
> system used in high schools.

My niece is in the Carnegie program and while she's doing ok the pressure is intense.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login