Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recession

Posted by annie35 
BratsNONONO
Re: Recession
October 27, 2008
My mom and dad are boomers, but my grandparents talked about how bad things were during the Great Depression. I think you have a few generations who never knew the kind of poverty that was present in those days, and they have no idea what real poverty is unless they are born into it.

Dad was a cheap bastard at times, but he was a good provider for the family. Mom knew how to pinch a penny so hard that Abe Lincoln would shit. I grew up in the 80s not having all of the crap that a lot of my friends did, but it did not bother me. Who cares if I did not wear designer jeans or any of it.

On the other hand, my sister acts like she is entitled to a closet full of designer crap, a Mercedes and a full time staff of servants. Since she doesn't have enough brains, beauty or a body to attract or retain a wealthy mate so she better get used to working just like the rest of us.

Stupid me for living within my means by having a house that I can handle, a paid-for car and no need for all of that statusy shit.
Biblioninja
Re: Recession
October 27, 2008
I remember the moment when I realized what the depression must have been like - My aunt had passed away, and we were discussing her collection of pant hems. She would always buy pants that were too long and then cut the bottoms and hem them. And she saved every pant leg bottom that she ever cut off. We found this greatly amusing until my Grandfather looked at us and said "during the depression, those hems would have been important. They could be stitched together to make a quilt or a coat that would have kept someone warm."

I wonder what kids today would think about wearing a coat made of pant hems. Much as I hate the idea of another depression, I DO like the idea of kids learning that there are more important things in life than designer lables.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login