Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teacher holds class vote on autistic child; gets suspended

Posted by CFTeen 
The short and sweet of it: A Florida kindergarten teacher takes a class vote on wether or not to oust an autistic member, on a day when the brat is being a particularly big PITA. The county school board suspended her for a YEAR sans pay, and the kid's mom wants her fired.
-----

PORT ST. LUCIE — Melissa Barton said she is considering legal action after her son's kindergarten teacher 'led' (allowed) his classmates (the chance) to vote him out of class.

After each classmate was allowed to say what they didn't like about Barton's 5-year-old son, Alex, his Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo said they were going to take a vote, Barton said.

By a 14 to 2 margin, the students voted Alex — who is 'in the process of being diagnosed with autism' — out of the class.

Melissa Barton filed a complaint with Morningside's school resource officer, who investigated the matter, Port St. Lucie Department spokeswoman Michelle Steele said. But the state attorney's office concluded the matter did not meet the criteria for emotional child abuse, so no criminal charges will be filed, Steele said. (simple democracy at work =/= child abuse, Melissa Barfton.)

Port St. Lucie Police no longer are investigating, but police officials are documenting the complaint, she said.

Steele said the teacher confirmed the incident took place.

Portillo could not be reached for comment Friday. (smart move. the breeders have her under 'mouth arrest' - anything she says publicly can and will be twisted and used against her)

Steele said the boy had been sent to the principal's office because of disciplinary issues. When he returned, Portillo made him go to the front of the room as a form of punishment, she said.

Barton said her son is in the process of being diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, a type of high-functioning autism. Alex began the testing process in February at the suggestion of Morningside Principal Marcia Cully.

Children diagnosed with Asperger's often exhibit social isolation and eccentric behavior. (welcome to euphemism city, population 1)

Alex has had disciplinary issues because of his disability, Barton said. After the family moved into the area and Alex and his sibling arrived at the school in January, Alex spent much of the time in the principal's office, she said. (the kid's alter ego must be General Nuisance)

He also had problems at his last school, but he did not have issues during his two years of preschool, Barton said.

School and district officials have met with Barton and her son to create an individual education plan to address his difficulties, she said. Portillo attended these meetings, Barton said.

Barton said after the vote, Portillo asked Alex how he felt.

"He said, 'I feel sad,' " Barton said. (it's called GUILT, kiddo. you can feel it when people call you out for acting like a little monster)

Alex left the classroom and spent the rest of the day in the nurse's office, she said.

Barton said when she came to pick up her son at the school Wednesday, he was leaving the nurse's office.

"He was shaken up," she said.

Barton said the nurse told her to talk with Portillo, who told her what happened.

Alex hasn't been back to school since then, and Barton said he won't be returning. He starts screaming when she brings him with her to drop off his sibling at school.

Thursday night, his mother heard him saying "I'm not special" over and over. (wrongo. he IS 'special')

Barton said Alex is reliving the incident.

The other students said he was "disgusting" and "annoying," Barton said. (no s**t Sherlock! now WHY on Earth do you suppose they might say that? maybe because it's TRUE?!)

"He was incredibly upset," Barton said. "The only friend he has ever made in his life was forced to do this." (or perhaps his friend had a chance to say what he/she really felt?)

St. Lucie School's spokeswoman Janice Karst said the district is investigating the incident, but could not make any further comment.

Vern Melvin, Department of Children and Families circuit administrator, confirmed the agency is investigating an allegation of abuse at Morningside but said he could not elaborate.

-----

No wonder kids are so messed up. First they get taught that they live in a country where (supposedly) the common person can vote on things that affect them. But when their teacher puts that idea into practice on an issue that affects them every school day, their votes are nullified and the teacher gets suspended...all because one person has a powerful special-interest lobby on their side. What a cruel joke.

Oh well. I guess at least it's good practice for the real world.
Re: Teacher holds class vote on autistic child; gets suspended
November 20, 2008
I have divided feelings on this one. As usual, I think the problem should have been prevented in the first place. In this case the repeatedly disruptive kyd should have been REMOVED from a mainstream classroom by administration (LONG ago) and put in an "alternative" class, special ed, or wherever they could put him for HIS own good as well as the other kyds'and the teacher's well being and continued ability to be able to have control over her class. Regardless of the reason he is an asshole in class, he should have already been removed and in the process of being evaluated and shipped off to where ever the other asshole "special needs" kyds are or need to be housed and schooled, etc....His being "in the process" of being diagnosed with AWWTISM, ADHD, ADD, Bi-Polar bear, or whatever they say is causing his outburts, should be of no consequence. I think that, for WHAT ever reason, if the kyd won't conform to what is considered "normal" and reasonably expected classroom conduct, then he needs to be placed somewhere else that is equipped and staffed to handle him and his "special needs".

As for the teacher allowing, encouraging, condoning, etc....the rest of the class to shame him by making the kyd stand before the class and get voted to be "ousted", where he likely was called names and God knows what else, was completely inappropriate and unnecessary. Not only was it above and beyond what should have been the little bastard's "punishment", it is teaching the other kyds that they have more power than they have or should have. It is NOT the right OR the responsibility for a classroom full of 5 y/o's to determine or decide by vote or in any other way WHO gets to stay, WHAT punishment they will receive, or HOW that might happen. This should have been an adult only decision and NO kyd's should have been involved in the decision making process or made to feel that they had any control over the outcome of another student's fate.

On the other hand, I understand the teachers' frustration as it appears that nothing was ever done about it. This sounds like school admin whose hands were either "tied", perhaps an admin on guard for liability issues, and/or some aggressive parents of little Snookums. At any rate, had the kyd been removed and placed somewhere more appropriate, rather than mainstreamed, then none of this would have happened. I think the teacher should have only gotten a verbal reprimand and been allowed to continue to teach and get paid. I am COMPLETELY against "mainstreaming" kyds with "special needs", if those "special needs" cause a disruption, a kink in the continuity of education of the other students, or if they require more or specialized attention from an already over burdened teacher with a classroom that is bursting at the seams in number. WAY too much is expected of today's teachers and dealing with this shit is no exception.

I think that the school board is "passing the buck" by placing ALL of the blame on the teacher. I would be willing to bet that this is their fault for not heeding the teacher's NUMEROUS complaints about that kyd and an effort to absolve themselves of any public blame or legal liability. However, since moomie has mooed and lowed about his "disability" in the process of being diagnosed,eye rolling smiley I am betting that it's all a set up for a big dollar lawsuit. I hate "special needs" kyds' moocows more than regular brats' moomares as they always seem to go out of their ways to solicit sympathy when the whole thing is their faults because 1)They birthed the little monstor and clearly should have prevented it 2)Their "gentle discipline" exacberates the problem if it didn't outright CAUSE it, 3)They need to suck it up, accept that this brat is a retard/reject, and ship it off to a special school. Better yet, KEEP IT AT HOME, and caged up if necessary, and teach the little bastard yourself. Maybe then they might appreciate the hell that teachers have to endure when dealing with their "special needs" mutants.shrug
November 20, 2008
I hate alex too. Now, I'll go back to eating paste.
Government school is horrible. I thought it was bad in my day but it gets worse. Everyone thinks it is so great to mainstream certain type of handicapped kids into regular classrooms. A child in a wheelchair with no mental impairments is one thing as s/he can still learn. An autistic child is going to disrupt a class and the students who can & want to learn are going to suffer. Florida schools are the worst. There is really nothing more I can say is except I can understand why many people homeschool even if they are not doing it for religious reasons.
November 20, 2008
I'm no child shrink, but aren't Asperger's and "high-functioning autism" two different things? I always thought Asperger's was sort of like Autism Lite.

I, too, am divided on this issue. On one hand...yeah, the Survivor-esque vote-out of the resident retard was a little harsh, but like with most other stories of kids being wronged, I guarantee there is another side to this story. As Kim suggested, the teacher most likely either met with Moo or wrote her letters or otherwise told about her kid's awful behavior and how he does not belong in a normal classroom. A teacher can only take so much from everyday brats - when you put a retarded kid in a class with a teacher who has not been specifically trained to educate and deal with disabled kids, there's going to be issues. This teacher is getting paid to teach normal or nearly normal children - she is not a special needs professional, and the Moo is disservicing her child, the other children and the teacher for thinking that her kid's self-esteem will be destroyed if he's in a sped classroom.

I know it can be humiliating to have a sped and to have to put him or her in a special class, but IMHO, it's far more of an embarrassment to know your child is special needs and intentionally put him in a class that he cannot deal with. It shows stupidity, ignorance, and selfishness...the cornerstones of breederism.
November 20, 2008
Cambion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A teacher can only
> take so much from everyday brats - when you put a
> retarded kid in a class with a teacher who has not
> been specifically trained to educate and deal with
> disabled kids, there's going to be issues. This
> teacher is getting paid to teach normal or nearly
> normal children - she is not a special needs
> professional, and the Moo is disservicing her
> child, the other children and the teacher for
> thinking that her kid's self-esteem will be
> destroyed if he's in a sped classroom.
>
For the record, most secondary education teachers are not dual-certified in special education, yet have special ed kids in their classrooms. Those teaching required courses have many more than those teaching upper level electives. Regular ed teachers are expected to make the necessary accomodations for the students as described in their IEP (individualized education plan,) and may or may not get much help from the special ed teacher overseeing any given kid. Many of the accomodations are no big deal--the kid goes to a special ed classroom where he gets extended time on tests, but others ARE, like the kid they claimed couldn't take notes, and wanted me to provide all classroom notes for. By the time I got that particular student, I was wise to the drill, so I stated that overhead transparencies would be available for the special ed teacher or assistant to come to my room to take for copies, and promptly return. Well, after about a week of this availability and inconvenience for someone else, it was decided that the student was (now!) able to follow the notes given in class and did not need those copies anymore. With each successive school year, the numbers of special ed kids grew, and it didn't take a genius to see that things were on a permanently downward slide. Just one of many reasons why I left a good paying position even after I was granted tenure.
Cambion,

"I'm no child shrink, but aren't Asperger's and 'high-functioning autism' two different things? I always thought Asperger's was sort of like Autism Lite."

Let's look at Wikipedia, shall we? The article there is quite long so I'll just give the summary at the top...

-----

Asperger syndrome (also called Asperger's syndrome, Asperger's disorder, Asperger's or AS) is the autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in which there is no general delay in language or cognitive development. Like other ASDs, it is characterized by difficulties in social interaction and restricted, stereotyped patterns of behavior and interests. Although not mentioned in standard diagnostic criteria for AS, physical clumsiness and atypical use of language are frequently reported.

Asperger syndrome is named after Austrian pediatrician Hans Asperger who, in 1944, described children in his practice who lacked nonverbal communication skills, demonstrated limited empathy with their peers, and were physically clumsy. Fifty years later, AS was standardized as a diagnosis, but questions about many aspects of AS remain. For example, there is lingering doubt about the distinction between AS and high-functioning autism (HFA); partly due to this, the prevalence of AS is not firmly established. The exact cause of AS is unknown, although research supports the likelihood of a genetic basis; brain imaging techniques have not identified a clear common pathology.

There is no single treatment for Asperger syndrome, and the effectiveness of particular interventions is supported by only limited data. Intervention is aimed at improving symptoms and function. The mainstay of management is behavioral therapy, focusing on specific deficits to address poor communication skills, obsessive or repetitive routines, and physical clumsiness. Most individuals with AS can learn to cope with their differences, but may continue to need moral support and encouragement to maintain an independent life. Researchers and people with AS have advocated a shift in attitudes toward the view that AS is a difference, rather than a disability that must be treated or cured.
"...in the process of being diagnosed with autism..."? From a purely medical standpoint, as a physician I am compelled to add a technical term of What The Fuck?

Unless there is a true, final diagnosis of an autism spectrum disorder, then the "process" is unimportant and is obviously a journalistic ploy to garner sympathy for the little brat. Somebody should tell the idiot journalists, who purport to be "professionals", that until a diagnosis is finally made the process of doing it is nothing more than an extended examination.

Autism, as a spectrum of various disorders, can range from barely noticeable and mild all the way up to the more readily recognizable severe forms. The brat was probably a holy fucking terror, so his moo just had to grab some browbeaten doc to hang a diagnostic label on the little fuck to cover for her shitty parenting.
November 20, 2008
I have a friend from high school whose little half brother was diagnosed with this autism lite about eight years ago. He was put into a special class for a while, put into social learning classes, put on meds, etc... You cannot put a child like that in the shitty system. He will be mauled. Shame on that stupid moo of his.

I'm actually sorta friends with this little 15 year old. He is the sweetest teenager I've ever met. He loves animals, particularly fish and birds like me. So we can talk forever about pets. He calls me sometimes (sometimes too much and I hafta screen the calls) and I really enjoy talking to him because it makes him so happy. Plus, he's the only one who understands how exciting it is to get a new filter system for your lovely aquarium. His sister has been travelling and gone since college and I barely talk to her now because she's busy in New York with her career. It's weird because my relationship with her brother is completely separate from ours. But I'm glad I've continued to talk to this guy. He couldn't help that he was a product of the fifth marriage of his father. Shouldn'ta bred again, old man.
This made me think back to 6th grade...12 years ago. Half my lifetime ago! But I digress. I was in an elementary school with four 6th grade classes. Each teacher specialized in something, so we would frequently switch classrooms/teachers for special presentations, or even just everyday lessons. For example, my regular teacher, a crotchety older woman, Mrs. Mitchell (she was tough, and I loved her...tough teachers are the best), taught English to a bunch of us, and the teacher next door, Mr. Patrick, taught science. I guess it was good practice for middle school and high school. Anyway, so one day we had a special history presentation, and one of the other teachers (her name escapes me), brought her class over to our classroom. It was a tight fit, made tigher by having one student in particular. I don't know what the hell this kid's problem was, but he was a huge disruption, and a general pain in the ass. And my beloved Mrs. Mitchell got sick of his shit during the presentation, and LOST IT. She screamed at him, and basically chased his ass to the principal's office. It was awesome, and we were able to finish learning without the disruption. If that happened now, Mrs. Mitchell probably would have been fired, and threatened with legal action, and all the bullshit that this Mrs. Portillo is now facing.

I'm glad to have gone to public school, but I'm really glad that I went before the whole system turned to shit and the disruptive brats got to make everyone's life hell.
November 21, 2008
cfhistorian Wrote:
>
> I'm glad to have gone to public school, but I'm
> really glad that I went before the whole system
> turned to shit and the disruptive brats got to
> make everyone's life hell.

When I went through public school, having graduated in 1981, I thought the system did a good job educating us. But, oh, how things have changed! CFH, you are absolutely right on two major points: one disruptive kid can ruin everyone else's learning experience, and Mrs. Mitchell would have had to do some serious damage control in the principal's office, probably with union representation present. If she were tenured, she would most likely weather the storm, but if she were probationary, buh-bye.

As luck would have it, I ended up teaching at the same school I graduated from, a rural school that graduated about 150-200 students annually. IMO, there were countless more discipline issues these days than when I was a student. So I made a few inquiries with the old-timers (there were still a few of my former teachers on the job) and they made two comments:

1. Kids' behavior has worsened considerably in the past twenty years--from blatant disrespect and rarely showing up for school, or showing up drunk, stoned, or otherwise chemically altered, to not doing homework and generally being a high maintenance PITA. Parents are one of two types--those you never hear from, ever, or those that email you daily wanting to know what the homework assignment was as well as a lengthy discourse on how their child is doing in class.

2. If these veteran teachers were just starting out in the job, they admit they probably wouldn't have stuck it out. There's just too much crap to deal with from difficult parents, pressure from admin to get kids through your course any way possible, and the kids themselves.

Add to this mix the issues of special ed kids in the class (often more than one at a time) with their own behavior problems and genuine learning difficulties and goes a long way towards explaining why HALF of new teachers are no longer working in the classroom five years later.
Back many years, you could get your ass paddled in the hall or the principal's office for misbehaving. I did get a spanking in the office the time I dumped a bottle of glue on a boy that was bothering me. I'll be the first to admit that I earned that spanking, and when I got home my mom paddled my ass again. I never acted up in school after that.
November 21, 2008
Dr. Dan, the in-the-process thing can be translated into the following:

"I'm currently in the process of taking my kid to 15 different doctors with fake symptoms of Autism so my kid can be deemed disabled and I'll get social security for him. Of all these doctors, there has got to be at least ONE that will give him an official diagnosis of being autistic. This way, whenever he gets into trouble, I have a handy excuse and he never has to be responsible for his actions. Plus, I have a nice little lawsuit if anybody ever makes my kid feel bad about himself, we'll just use the Austistic card and win a big settlement."

DrDanCorelli Wrote:
> "...in the process of being diagnosed with
> autism..."? From a purely medical standpoint, as
> a physician I am compelled to add a technical term
> of What The Fuck?
>
> Unless there is a true, final diagnosis of an
> autism spectrum disorder, then the "process" is
> unimportant and is obviously a journalistic ploy
> to garner sympathy for the little brat. Somebody
> should tell the idiot journalists, who purport to
> be "professionals", that until a diagnosis is
> finally made the process of doing it is nothing
> more than an extended examination.
>
> Autism, as a spectrum of various disorders, can
> range from barely noticeable and mild all the way
> up to the more readily recognizable severe forms.
> The brat was probably a holy fucking terror, so
> his moo just had to grab some browbeaten doc to
> hang a diagnostic label on the little fuck to
> cover for her shitty parenting.
November 21, 2008
Hell, even when I was a wee brat, being told my mother was being called struck fear into my heart, because I knew it would lead to some serious verbal abuse when I got home.

Now, what used to be school authority's ace card, holds no power. Kids know that when Mommy hears how awful they were, one of two things will happen: she won't care because the kid is the school's problem for most of the day, or Mommy will berate the teachers and/or the principal for "singling out" her pweshus widdle angel, sometimes to the point of coming into the school, disrupting class and screaming at the teacher in person.

When I was a little kid, the teacher's word was law. Now, the kid's word is law...that is a very frightening change in less than ten years. Teachers can't even bloody hug or lay a hand on a child anymore because it could be construed a sexual assault...honestly, if parents are *that* scared of teachers having any sort of authority, why don't they just goddamn home-school their kids?

Oh yeah...that would mean having to interact with their kids more often, and Momma is usually too busy sitting on her widening ass, wearing stretchpants, eating cake and watching soaps while the house remains a pigsty and dinner comes out of frozen boxes every night. Having Junior at home more often would upset this delicate balance of laziness Moo builds for herself, and we can't be having that.
November 21, 2008
Te Researchers and people with AS
> have advocated a shift in attitudes toward the
> view that AS is a difference, rather than a
> disability that must be treated or cured.

How lovely. This means the little brats are supposed to be allowed to fuck up ONE ELSE'S learning experience.

BTW if it's a difference, then let's quit sending the moos of these brats money because their kid has "awwwwtism spectrum disorder" or whatever bullshit being a brat is considered these days.
November 22, 2008
I have students that are probably like the one that this teachers had, and I can understand why she cracked and did what she did. Disruptive children are pretty much allowed to run amok in classrooms today because of their special ed label. Whenver you try and contact the breeders about their behavior they hide behind the child's IEP (Individualized Education Plan - sp ed paperwork) and God forbid you do something to remove the child from the classroom because of the disruptive behavior. The parents will be on the school's doorstep with their lawyer faster than you can say "mainstreaming," because by removing the child from the classroom you are denying them an education and engaging in "non-inclusive practices." The icing on the cake is that an IEP is considered a legally binding document once it is signed by the teacher, which makes it that much easier for the breeders to drag the teacher to court.

If I had a child I would never send it to public school. I feel so sorry for the normal kids in my classes, the ones who want to enjoy my classes but can't because they're constantly being distracted by Tardley in the corner who is "expressing himself" buy banging on his drum and screaming at the top of his lungs. I can't remove him or take his instrument away because the breeders and their lawyers say he has a right to an education which, apparently, comes at the cost of the educations of the rest of the children in the room.
November 22, 2008
I have to give the kids in the class kudos for having more commonsense than the parunt of the brat that was voted out of the class.

Note: I hope that doctors start getting wise to this bullshit of the fake awwwwtism or Asperger's or whatever the fuck excuse for bratiness they are calling stuff these days. Probably not, since there's money in them thar diagnoses.
married with rabbits Wrote:
>
> That's kinda funny, considering if the child is
> loudly banging on his drum and screaming, he's not
> really learning anything is he? I think by using
> that principle, removing him should not be a
> problem.

You'd think that would be the case, but it usually isn't. There are two big reasons why the many kids suffer at the expense of the few.

As others have said, there is the element of our lawsuit-addicted society. All it can take is one financially expensive and PR-shattering from one PO-ed set of parents, and from that point forward any parent who has a drooling idiot (or a brat 'professionally diagnosed' as such) can hang a legal Sword of Damocles over the school officials.

But there's another element to it. Somewhere along the line America's goal of egalitarianism, our "give me your huddled masses" thought process, has been twisted into a sort of reverse Robin Hood approach administered from on high by hair-brained 'officials' and 'experts' with their heads in the clouds.

In education this has resulted in the focus being turned on the dregs of the student population at the expense of the star performers. Honors programs are being cut back or cut out, entire classes being held back until everyone passes a test (by whatever fair means) and there's the foolishness of 'mainstreaming'. The bright kids and/or the ones who want to learn get shafted. And when their classmates grow up to be useless employees, stupid managers and incompetent leaders we ALL suffer.

In the end I think the teacher from Stand and Deliver put it best:

"If you want to turn the school around, you’re gonna have to start from the top."
November 23, 2008
married with rabbits Wrote:
> That's kinda funny, considering if the child is
> loudly banging on his drum and screaming, he's not
> really learning anything is he? I think by using
> that principle, removing him should not be a
> problem.

Well, you'd think so, but that's not the case. I've gotten in trouble already for taking away an instrument and making a kid sit in the time out chair until they were calm. Their excuse was that it was "non-inclusive practices" to isolate them from their peers and that I need to be better prepared to handle the child's needs according to their IEP.
November 23, 2008
LoveToLurk Wrote:
> I've gotten in trouble already for taking away an
> instrument and making a kid sit in the time out
> chair until they were calm. Their excuse was that
> it was "non-inclusive practices" to isolate them
> from their peers and that I need to be better
> prepared to handle the child's needs according to
> their IEP.

Well then you can see how the teacher felt there ought to be nothing wrong with the kids voting on the fate of their mega-asshole classmate. How much more inclusive can you get??

I understand from an BBC documentary on the Chinese educational system that punishments in Chinese primary classrooms is mainly by the group. The offender is stood in front of the class, the teacher invites one or two classmates to state the offence that the kid committed, and comment on it briefly. She then invites suggestions as to what's to be done with the child -- mainly they ask for a verbal apology. One time they showed a little boy who destroyed a bit of someone else's property (a pencil case or an eraser or something), and they decided he had to wear this sweater all day which the teacher kept in a cupboard -- it was tatty and chopped full of holes. Their thinking was that the boy who had no respect for nice property ought to have to wear this horrible sweater the rest of the day as a reminder about keeping things looking respectable. Interesting. And totally appropriate I think.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
November 23, 2008
A little shame goes a long way, especially with kids that age. I expect that that Chinese child learned to respect other people's belongings without any further problems.
November 23, 2008
CFTeen Wrote:
> married with rabbits Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> In education this has resulted in the focus being
> turned on the dregs of the student population at
> the expense of the star performers. Honors
> programs are being cut back or cut out, entire
> classes being held back until everyone passes a
> test (by whatever fair means) and there's the
> foolishness of 'mainstreaming'. The bright kids
> and/or the ones who want to learn get shafted.
>
From my experience, this is absolutely the truth, but there is a twist to it. Schools are very driven by regional rankings, and it's a big deal for a given school's ranking to rise or fall. Here's how it works in our area:
There is a local business newspaper that ranks about one hundred schools based on certain criteria, one of which was the number of students enrolled in Advanced Placement courses (when I was working, I taught one section of Calculus in addition to other traditional high school math courses.) One might think enrollment is a good thing to look at, but it completely ignores how well kids actually SCORE on those exams, which would actually indicate how well students are doing with college level material on an unbiased test. (it's actually pretty easy for a teacher to construct a test that their kids can do well on, if that is your motivation.)

In our school, many AP teachers would allow only the students into those courses who were willing and able to perform at that level, and in our school there was an "application process" of sorts. Teachers were allowed to accept or reject students, and overall the system worked pretty well.

But administrators realized that they could alter their coveted school rankings by increasing the enrollment in those AP courses. Since no one cared how well students actually performed on the exam, and guidance counselors told parents how great it would be for their kids to "be exposed to college level material," it was an easy sell. This arrangement also pleased school boards who could now boast of huge increases in enrollment of college level AP courses, and gave parents bigger bragging rights because their kids were enrolled in more AP courses than ever. Communities loved it because real estate agents could brag about properties being in such and so school district, and the rankings were also published in the local newspapers and all over the tv news. On the surface, everything is all sunshine and lollipops.

Actually, no. The capable kids were the ones to suffer, as always, because as earlier posters have pointed out, the talented kids get held back so that everyone else can catch up. And for those kids who don't care or simply can't do the work, they never will. So making college work accessible to the high school masses (read: watering it down) doesn't work because now no one can excel. Teachers are unhappy because they have so much material to cover and can't present it all thoroughly and rigorously because they have to move so slowly, making their advanced course something of a sham, the bright kids are unhappy because they are being held back, the kids who have always been told they are so smart and can do ANYTHING are unhappy because they are finally seeing how much they don't know and can't do, and the kids who don't want to be there are unhappy too.

As another poster said, if they had kids, they would never go to public school, and I completely agree. If I had kids, there is no way I would EVER subject them to the education offered in today's public schools.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login