Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

At least she had the abortion

Posted by Seacreature 
At least she had the abortion
November 21, 2008

Dear Prudence,
I'm 27 years old, and I've always wanted to be a mother. It's my special dream to have a daughter someday. I'm crazy about the man that I've been with for the past two years, and we have plans for marriage and kids in the future. A few months ago I found out that I was pregnant, even though I've been on birth control. I'm in a very difficult three-year program at school. My boyfriend is seven years younger than I am and is decidedly not ready for kids. (He said having a baby now would ruin his life.) So we made the difficult (at least for me) decision to end the pregnancy. The problem is this: My cousin and his wife are expecting their first child shortly. It's a girl, and the name they've chosen happens to be the name that I have long wanted to give to my own daughter. Even though I'm not especially close to my family, it's expected that I see the baby when she's born and attend Thanksgiving and Christmas with them as well. I'm happy for them, but I don't think that I'll be able to do any of that. I've cried a number of times about this and have decided to try to avoid them at all costs for the time being. However, my family will probably be very upset with me and demand to know why I'm not around. I can't tell them that I had an abortion because they believe that abortion is a sin. Would it be wrong for me to tell them that I had a miscarriage and hope they understand why I can't be around at the moment?

—Sad and Anxious

Dear Sad,
Yes, you are going through a painful time; and, no, nobody can force you to attend a family event. But you need to accept the choice you made and get back to living a normal life. That means attending the holidays and welcoming a new member of the family. It also means letting go of the fantasy that your cousin has usurped the name for her child that you thought you had somehow reserved for the child you didn't have. Lying about a miscarriage seems exactly the wrong way to go. First, because it is a lie; and, second, because it will only mean you have to fight off a barrage of questions about your future marital and procreative plans. If you feel so stuck that you plan to avoid any event at which you will see your cousin and his baby, then you should seek short-term therapy or join a support group to come to grips with your decision. It's hard that you can't share your sadness with your family, but leaving them baffled and worried about your absence will surely only make you feel more isolated. You also need to examine where your relationship is headed. You say you want children, but given your age difference, you need to face whether your boyfriend will be ready for fatherhood in time for you to be able to be a mother.

—Prudie

AWWW! Poor widdle thing doesn't get to be sheep just yet and she's jealous. AWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwww...it hurts too much to see other people have a baby when she doesn't. Isn't that original? At least Prudie gave some decent advice this time...
Krishna
Re: At least she had the abortion
November 21, 2008
A 27/year-old with a 20/year-old is flirting with disaster! The young man would have been gone...gone...gone had she not had the abortion. The $ and time poured into school would be gone once she realised how taxing it is to take care of a newborn. These women do hack me off because they are the ones who come around later saying how they wished they never aborted and are on the pro-lifers side of the street protesting at clinics. I heard that story so many times while doing security for abortion clinics. Gotta run and get going to meet DH for dinner. I never cried about my abortion except tears of JOY for being able to escape the onus of motherhood.
November 21, 2008
Okay, someone explain to me...is there a limited number of times a name can be used within one family? Why do people feel that if a family member "steals" the name they want to give to their own [future] offspring, that name suddenly becomes off-limits? Is there a law that says two people in the same family can't have the same first name? If so, then clearly my family missed out on the memo since my grandmother had three sisters named Catherine.

If it's that sensitive of a topic, there is no shame in saying she had a miscarriage. There's no obligation to share every single personal aspect of one's life with relatives. And yes, it's definitely good she aborted her clump, because I have a feeling this would have panned out in a classic sense had she kept the thing: The Duh runs for the hills, Momma drops out and is destined to never finish her education, pushes out her crotchspawn, goes on welfare and lives in free housing and, in between foisting her mistake off onto her family and watching soaps, looks for a new baybee-daddy either for money or to have another kid with in hopes of burying her claws deep enough in him to get child support. Which will be used on Gucci bags, designer clothes and manicures.
BratsNONONO
November 21, 2008
The whole name game is a high stinking pile of horseshit. These baby-rabid whores who act like the name they choose is reserved for them on a stone tablet need to get some Lithium. There are four men in my family named Carl--and all of them from the same side.

Somebody hit this broad with a clue by four right across her crying wannabreed ass.
November 21, 2008

Somebody hit this broad with a clue by four right across her crying wannabreed ass.

Haha...very cute.

And I love how she starts out by saying it's her "special dream" to have a daughter. Excuse me? What's so fucking special about that?!

She's happy for them...riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. More like so jealous she can't even see straight so she's gotta stay home and wallow in it. How selfish and immature. Why am I no surprised?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login