CFTeen
Re: Another doozy on Craigslist.
December 04, 2008
CherryBlossom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CFTeen, I don't understand it either. I read
> somewhere that black cats and dogs are always the
> last to be adopted, and usually the most common to
> be dumped off at shelters. It's horrible.

Believe it. 4 years at the NHS; took me just three months to notice that dark-colored animals - not just cats and dogs! - get just that sort of treatment.

I keep wanting to put up signs saying "Don't discriminate against those of color" with a pic featuring a black dog & cat. ;-}
December 04, 2008
Wow. And to think that when I went to look at a Manx at her foster mom's the cat I couldn't take my eyes off of was this shaggy black monster.
CFBitchfromLA
December 05, 2008
I had a black tomcat named Boris when I was in nursing school. He was the friendliest cat I ever had. I miss him terribly.
December 07, 2008
I read somewhere that black cats and dogs are always the last to be adopted, and usually the most common to be dumped off at shelters.

Yep, that's definitely true. Last time DH and I went to the Humane S. to get a dog friend for our existing dog, at least 1/4 of the dogs at the shelter were black dogs of various breeds. One of the black dogs leapt up and greeted us with happiness and affectionate abandon. We took her. She turned out to be the sweetest, biggest-hearted dog I've ever met. Currently curled up on the rug by DH's feet. Our lovely lab-hound Molly, the most loving dog I've ever met.
December 08, 2008
It's so good to hear a shelter story with a happy ending. Molly sounds like she is one LUCKY dog to have such a wonderful family, finally.
December 08, 2008
Tiquer, thank you for your kind words...but we, not her, were the lucky ones. It's amazing how a dog can teach a normally faulty human to be wholly loving, and to appreciate the moment....as Molly does.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login