Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No I don't find it cute

Posted by annie35 
No I don't find it cute
December 03, 2008
My mom can't stop telling a story from Thanksgiving about how my 3 year old cousin called fudge, pudge.
It is not cute, it is stupid. I don't get why mispronounciation is so cute. When an adult does it they are stupid, when a soul sucker does it, they are cute.
Re: No I don't find it cute
December 03, 2008
I know what you mean and it is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. The only thing worse than that is when meemaw and peepaw take the mispronounced word and "run with it", like my inlaws do. They literally speak in baybee talk when the youngest grandbrat is present. I GUARANTEE you if that kyd called fudge "pudge", then that is EXACTLY what they would start calling it too. "Aunt Kim, do you want some PUDGE icecream?", "T.J., show aunt Kim where Nana keeps her PUDGE topping",etc.........They would invent reasons to use the word "PUDGE". They already say "cawwots" for carrots, and "gween beans" for grean beans, and "go poopy","Jello beans" for jelly beans, and "macky cheesy" for mac and cheese, and "gwavy" for gravy, etc...............and THEIR grandbrat is almost FOUR YEARS OLD and doesn't even mispronounce most words anymore and he HASN'T since he was about two years old.

Everything can be going along perfectly "normal", until that kyd enters the side door with his moomie. IMMEDIATELY, the moomie, peepaw, and meemaw start talking in "baybee speak" beginning with a COMPLETE change in demeanor accompanied by that shiny gleam that grandparents get."IT'S TJ!!!!!!Look who's here!, Come see paw paw!!! Tell Aunt Kim about your new twuck". MY GOD, I can hardly bear it.
December 03, 2008
Well, I no longer call spaghetti "bisketti". Although in my house we do say 'skeds" when discussing what to have for dinner so some of them do stick.
December 03, 2008
Exactly. It may be cute when a two year old does it, but not so much when the kid is 8 years old and in speech therapy. And then the breeders wonder why their kid needs extra help learning how to speak properly.
December 03, 2008
Well, I have to admit I enjoyed my T-giving meal of turkey with mashed potatoes and < cough > "bravy." As RR said, some do stick...

...but yes, it is highly annoying when sensible adults with whom you'd like to discuss the most recent book read, or some current event, revert to babbling in the idiot speech of the nearest kid.
December 04, 2008
BRAVY! I am SO using that on Sunday. Pot roast.
December 04, 2008
I have a "cat voice" that I use with my critters which could be considered "baybee talk", but I don't subject other people to it. I don't even mind using "kiddie" ways to pronouce something with my sisters like the "PAsketti" (I think we all had ways of saying spaghetti)or even saying I have to go poopy or go night night, when I am being a bit silly. What I HATE is when an adult "goes into character", much like they are an actor on a stage who is playing the part of a 2 y/o, and their demeanor, body language, and every single word uttered and the tone is baybee talk, like my inlaws do. They will actually do this for hours at the time, when the youngest grandbrat is in the vicinity, with FEW breaks in between. They will do the goo goo ga ga shit, get a response from him, and then longingly look my way for a laugh or nod of approval at how "cute" the whole thing is NOT. They nearly FORCE you to laugh with them and if you do not, they will be offended or WORSE, they will keep doing it over and over and over, like someone who repeatedly tells a bad joke to solicit laughter, until they get the response that they want.

Talking to the kyd that way is annoying enough, but when they look directly at me across the dining room table and say, "Duz Aunt Kim Kim want some of TJ's Banilla puddin' cake? or Did Aunt Kim Kim make a smiley plate?, and the kyd is already in another room playing, is where I draw the line on what's ANNOYING. I have been around people who did the baybee talk thing my whole life and it never really bothered me too much UNTIL I met these people (inlaws). It has to be because they speak that way among themselves and to me that drives me nuts. It's ridiculous and there is just no sense in it and I am wondering JUST how long they will keep it up since he is almost four years old.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login