Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Catholic Church: Sterilization is a deadly sin (article)

Posted by kidlesskim 
The Catholic Church: Sterilization is a deadly sin (article)
December 06, 2008
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/dec/08120506.html
(Full article, "Texas Bishop Reaffirms that Sterilization Is Contrary to Church Teaching and True Health Care")

"...The bishop had made headlines in November when he publicly acknowledged and repented of his "failure" as overseer of two Catholic hospitals in his diocese, after an anonymous report revealed they had both performed several sterilizations. Corrada ordered the institutions to cease performing the procedures after conducting an independent audit.

... Direct sterilization is also a misguided attempt at healthcare, says Corrada, because "it destroys—it does not heal—the body’s reproductive capacity. No one may do evil so that good may come of it."

While he notes that some therapy may indirectly end in sterilization without being immoral, nonetheless direct sterilizations such as tubal ligations "treat no illness and serve only to destroy the reproductive capacity of a patient," and those involved in such procedures with full knowledge and consent "commit a deadly sin."

Corrada again affirmed that all Catholics and Catholic institutions are forbidden to provide or tolerate such procedures....."

confused smiley I had always known that many religions thought that sterilization was a sin, but I didn't know how severe of a sin or why they thought it was a sin, especially if they already had 6 or 8 kyds, but apparently they do. I STILL don't know why they think it's a sin, even after having read what the Bishop said. I had to look up "deadly sin" and for those of you who don't know, here's what that means;

Deadly Sin: mortal sin: an unpardonable sin entailing a total loss of grace.

This is confusing to me because I thought that in the Christian faith that ALL sins were pardonable. I have read that even suicide can possibly be forgiven under certain circumstances such as the person was not mentally capable of making a rational decision, so they were therefore not culpulable. I thought the only unforgivable sin was the sin that wasn't confessed. It blows my mind that someone can commit a sin considered so grave that it can't be forgiven, such as a tubal ligation after having birthed 10 kyds, but murderers on death row can make their confession while the needle goes into their arms and slither right on through the Pearly Gates unscathed. If women who have had abortions can be forgiven, then why not the women who have had tubals? If anyone knows the answer to that and as to WHY it's considered a sin in the first place, then I sure wish that they would share it, as I was raised Baptist and am not familiar with the rules and regulations of The Catholic Church.
Doesn't it strike you as odd that a Catholic bishop, of all people, didn't bring up one single shred of Scripture that supports their anti-sterilization stance? Now why might that be do you think?

Getting snipped is NOT a sin and it is NOT the same as abortion. It is a choice left to individual people. The entities that should involve themselves in said choice an be counted on the fingers of one hand.

And BTW their line about 'Deadly Sin' is a load of bull. It's nothing more than a recycled scare line that dates back to when the Catholic church extorted money from the illiterate masses by selling pardons for misdeeds on every other street corner. The only act that even comes close to a 'Deadly Sin' is suicide, and the evidence for that is tenuous at best.
Re: The Catholic Church: Sterilization is a deadly sin (article)
December 06, 2008
These fucking clowns can stay the hell out of my uterus and concentrate their efforts on the choirboys they are so good at...I'm not their age anyway.

p.s. there is no such thing as sin, but there is WRONG which does not appear to be in their lexicon.
"it destroys—it does not heal—the body’s reproductive capacity."

Well of course it destroys the body's reproductive capacity and women does it because they choose not/do not want to have a baby.
Or CF woman says - Do not want fetus/parasite growing inside them.

This is all a good thing if they choose not to have a kid.
The deadly sin-thing is nothing but a scare tactic and rather let them breed to poverty just like the usual turd world.
Now I know why my grandparents walked away from the Catholic church.

Reminds me to send my annual donation to Planned Parenthood in honor of Archbishop Mahony!
December 07, 2008
The mentality exhibited by this bishop is one of many reasons why I stopped going to church a few years after my Confirmation in the Catholic Church.

In all my years of attending Sunday school classes as a child, I never heard of deadly sin. I think there's mortal sins and venial sins or something like that, which can all be forgiven.
When I hear crap like this, I am reminded of my favorite line from "All in the Family":

Mike Stivic: "I thank god I'm an atheist!" :gun1
December 07, 2008
Thank God/dess I'm a Pagan. They may get into this earth mother stuff, but they leave the decision to breed or not up to the individual and its all good.
December 08, 2008
Atheism for the win!!
December 08, 2008
A "deadly sin"...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!bouncing and laughing

Aah, the good 'ol Catholic Church... Forever blind and backwards. So glad I got out with my sanity mostly intact.

I remember my mom telling me about how she and my dad didn't believe in this bullshit. She had her tubes tied when they were done with kids and that was THAT.
December 09, 2008
Touching little boys is okay.
Choosing not to over populate the world is a sin.
These people need to shut the hell up and clean up their own house, before they legislate the morality of others.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login