Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reluctant Giver...when it comes to a cat of course...

Posted by Seacreature 
Reluctant Giver...when it comes to a cat of course...
December 18, 2008
But if she had a fucking sick chyyyylllldddd...

Dear Prudence,
The manager of our department at work has a cat that got sick and is now being treated at a veterinary hospital. The cost is quite high—my boss estimates that it will be more than $2,000. All of us in the department feel sympathy for our boss. Somebody suggested we get a "get well soon" card for the cat and all sign it. Somebody else suggested we all chip in $10 or $20 to help with the vet bills. I'm OK with the card, but I balk at giving money. There's an implied obligation—nobody wants to be seen as the person who will not contribute (especially when it's for the boss). And there are some in the department who do not think this is a worthy cause—they would rather give their charity dollars to causes that benefit people, not animals (or pricey vets). But because we are doing this as a department, they are afraid not to contribute. What is the best way to handle a situation like this?

—Reluctant Giver

Dear Prudence,
Your boss is entitled to spend whatever she wants (I'm going to make a wild leap that your boss is a she) to save her darling puddy cat. However, if the entire department is speaking with the hushed tones of concern you use around someone whose loved one is gravely ill, then your boss is injecting way too much feline drama into the workplace. If we're lucky, our pets' kidneys give out before ours do, and while an owner can decide it's worth it to pay for dialysis for her cat, surely no one else should be expected to help with the tab for the tabby. This is the not what the presidential candidates were referring to when they talked about the health care crisis of the uninsured, or when they said America needs to do more to ensure the well-being of our vets. And it just seems silly to make everyone sign a "get well soon, Sugar Paws" card. Your boss is in distress, so politely inquire occasionally about the prospects for her cat, then move on to more appropriate topics, such as work.

—Prudie

I especially love this line, "If we're lucky, our pets' kidneys give out before ours do, and while an owner can decide it's worth it to pay for dialysis for her cat, surely no one else should be expected to help with the tab for the tabby."

Of course not, Prudie. We shouldn't be expected to pick up the fucking tab for TABITHA, EITHER! Humans SUCK!
Re: Reluctant Giver...when it comes to a cat of course...
December 18, 2008
Ugh. You just know that if it was for a baaaaybeeee, they'd all be falling over themselves to donate some money. Fucking breeders, fucking humans... And whilst I'm at it, fuck you, Prudie. Cunt. angry flipping off
December 18, 2008
I am opposed to ALL office group "collections" for anything. This of course includes baybee showers, birthday gifts, wedding gifts, wedding showers, etc....although I think that if an office worker has an ill famblee member (even a kyd or ESPECIALLY a pet) and is experiencing extreme financial difficulty because of an accident or NON birth related illness or injury, then an anonymous jar at the front desk is ok. If people WANT to donate, then they can do so on their own and out from under pressure or coercive methods of the unofficially elected "collector", who always seems to happen up at your desk while you are looking through your purse for a tip for the delivery guy. This VERY SAME whore who is balking at helping out the cat would likely be the same one who would expect group (and/or individual) office baybee gifts, showers, presents for the AFTER the birth get together, etc.....

An office environment should not also be a place where "group gifts" are solicited. They should treat the co-employees (or boss) as they would any acquaintance or friend. They can send them an individual invitation like they do for everyone else who they want to invite to showers, parties, weddings, etc... Just working with someone does NOT mean that the relationship is familiar enough for a gift to be expected for personal or famblee events. Some of the "collections" I have contributed to in years past out of sheer peer pressure, I didn't even know the peoples' last names.
December 18, 2008
I totally agree with KK. Workplaces are for work.

And there are some in the department who do not think this is a worthy cause—they would rather give their charity dollars to causes that benefit people, not animals (or pricey vets).

Not me. Most people are vile. Humanity as a whole hasn't impressed me much yet. I'd rather write a check to the Humane Society and the Arbor Day Foundation than for any peopley charity.
December 19, 2008
Yea, begging at the office has become so common now. From candy bar sales to baby showers, it's all gotta go away. It's presumptuous and RUDE.

And there are some in the department who do not think this is a worthy cause—they would rather give their charity dollars to causes that benefit people, not animals (or pricey vets).
angry flipping off

This one really bugged me also, clematis. I hate that so many people think that humans are the superior beings on this planet. Vile is right. Heh...I forgot about that word. VILE. VVVYYYY-EEELLL.Mr. T: I pitty tha fools BLARFFF!two faces puking
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login