Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boomerang Generation #1259

Posted by india_darshan 
Boomerang Generation #1259
April 21, 2006
I have posted on this issue before. There are many instances like many of our members have mentioned where moving back home was a good idea for everyone involved. Everyone benefitted. Sadly, most of today's younger people and even those close to my age do not want to take responsibility for their own lives. These young people want the goodies in life and "freedom" as an adult but still want to live like small sprogs in their parents' homes free-of-charge.

I remember my mom having to rent an apartment with a roomie after she and my father split up. It was hard on her to have to share living space with another person besides a child (me). But...my mother had too much pride to move back with her own mother or father. Housing was never"cheap" in the SF Bay Area.

As I have said, I work in a call center processing auto loans. There are many callers even in their mid- to late-thirties who live at home. When asked about rent being paid after they answer that they "live with relatives or mother", they smugly claim how they pay no rent. Yet, these are the same entitlement-minded people who think they should get financed for luxury cars despite bad credit. Or, these boomerang "kids" often admit to only working part-time.

Times have always been tough for people. For Pete's sake, my grandmother grew up in NYC during the Depression but she was actually supporting her family on a meager salary after high school when she won the short-hand contest to get a job, something that was extremely scarce. My feelings are that most of the parents of my generation have coddled their kids thinking that nothing should be difficult for the "darlings". Now...they are more than paying for it!
Re: Boomerang Generation #1259
April 21, 2006
i pay housekeeping, and it depends on how much i am earning, mostly i give £100 a month, when i am on low income, or upto £200 a month when i am having a bit more

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
April 21, 2006
Mercurio, you & your family living together do benefit each other and they probably enjoy the company. In the SF Bay Area, most families stay together in Chinatown. Extended family is important. In those situation, everyone works and puts what they can towards the house or apartmen. The younger people are not living "high on the hog" while Mom and Dad pay the rent/mortage and all of the other expenses of life.
Sherz
April 21, 2006
I knew I was allowed to come home during the summers while I was in college, but I had to work full time and pay rent. My mom died while I was in college, and my dad sold the house. I worked two jobs, and boarded at an elderly woman's home while finishing college. Some of these little shits don't even appreciate what their parents are doing for them. Many of them feel very entitled.
Water Lily
April 21, 2006
Yes, today's kids have no responsiblity, and their lazy. Maybe some of these parents better send their kids off to the military (when they are of age) so they can both grow up and learn what disipline and responsiblity is, too.
April 22, 2006
they are turning adults into kids for life. a lot of kids dont read, they dont go out, all they do is sitting at home..

some of these men are disillusioned about the world, they may be cf, but they dont KNOW they are. and so sit at home, there are others who actually do things at home.

sending a kid to military, if they are mean little bastards now, imagine them being trained to kill, and when there are no more wars or they are not needed.. you have gangs of trained killers wandering the streets looking for trouble.

at least in the past when conscription occured there were responsible parents who actually told them dont do that. but we dont have that attitude anymore, the parents of these new kids are selfish themselves. (its mostly the women who are in their 40's around the same time as feminism reared its head).

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Water Lily
April 22, 2006
Maybe they will get killed off at war. (Hopefully)
April 22, 2006
but the ones that dont will be the biggest baddest bastards, and come back to breed more bigger badder bastards.

Anonymous User
April 22, 2006
Ah...a little East Coast ditty about me mother:

"And if the devil'll take her
I'll thank him for his pain
I swear to god I'll hang meself
If I move back again."

Seriously, though, who really wants to move back with their parents? You stop qualifying as a "fully independant adult" if you're living under your parents. I understand living with elderly or ill parents to take care of them, or temporarily because of circumstances outside of your control, but voluntarily? Ack.
Ranter
April 22, 2006
Ok, I'm still Water Lily, just changed back my name. Mercurior, it depends, I guess...
Lady Cooper, those who move back with their parents are just big babies, really.
April 22, 2006
It depends on the circumstances. I lived with my Mom until I was 31 because I was at uni and could not afford to be on my own during my early 20s, and then she got sick and I had to take care of her until she died. Mom and I actually liked our arrangement - we were more like roommates. I paid a little rent and bought groceries and supplies when needed - and we felt safer and less lonely that way.
April 23, 2006
ok water. slightly confused me, well it is 6 hours in the future where i am so i cant give u the lottery numbers wink..

but sometimes those that move back, they have no choice, they get with a woman, who then oops them screws them for all the money, he cant afford a house to live in.. and he is back with his parents.(i know this has happened, it happened to a friend of mine)

Anonymous User
April 23, 2006
I like what India said, about extended family all living together, helping each other out. My mom wants to do this with my Grandma(who is in her 80's)my Aunt Caroline and me. (I want to move from Northern NY,land of toothless hicks to Southeastern Massacuttetts.) As Mercurior said, sometimes people do have no choice. That sucks about your friend!!! She will get a bad effect from that. Cause and effect does work.
April 23, 2006
i still live at home, i am 33, but the problem is house prices here are obscenely high, your looking at £175,000 for a house on average. the cheapest where i live is £90,000

yes i want to move out, but cant afford too, thats some of the problem

April 23, 2006
DH and I rent. We cannot afford to buy a condo or a home. I hate it when people around us say that we are thowing money out the window by renting and that we should really try to buy something to build equity. It's easy for people to suggest this, but we are the ones who know what our finances are and the bills we have to pay. We do not want to kill ourselves by working two jobs, never see each other, never be able to travel or go out to dinners to pay for a mortgage! Oh well, I guess we won't have the "American Dream" of owning a damn house!!!
April 23, 2006
It is really, really tough these days. The only way I was able to buy a house was to go into it with a relative (I'm not married). The downside is having to live with the relative. I feel for people who don't not have this kind of option. I know renting can suck. sad smiley
April 24, 2006
Medusa, that is wonderful to hear of your arrangement with your mom. You are truly an unselfish person who did what most people would not do. Feeling safe and less alone are important things regardless of our ages. If I never married the first time around, I may have stayed with my granddad. I paid him rent from the moment I worked a "real" job in my senior year of high school and stayed on 'til I was 19. I only moved because of a problem with a young man who would not leave me alone when I wanted to end things with him. I could have seen myself living with Grandpa and continuing to pay rent and be his roomie until his "time" came. I wish more of the Boomerang Generation were this way instead of just bunking at home because it is "free".
Anonymous User
April 24, 2006
Times were alot easier for the baby boomers. This is another problem of overpopulation. Mercurior,Guest, and India it seems to me if there were less people competing for space,things would be cheaper. And the politicians never address this issue of affordable housing, unless its for famblees.
Ranter
April 24, 2006
I'm sorry, I didn't mean any of my fellow CF as big babies... I meant other people offline that I know...
Ranter
April 24, 2006
sharon j. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Times were alot easier for the baby boomers. This
> is another problem of overpopulation.
> Mercurior,Guest, and India it seems to me if there
> were less people competing for space,things would
> be cheaper. And the politicians never address this
> issue of affordable housing, unless its for
> famblees.

I lived at home until I got married. It seems like everyone will "bend backwards" for famblees. Utter bullshit.
April 25, 2006
Exactly - the more brats you have, the more help you will get. If you're childfree, and especially single: screw you, you're on your own. They don't even care if you end up homeless.

(And thanks, India!)
Nour
April 25, 2006
I think more people need to really consider if they can afford a home before they over-extend themselves and buy one. "guest" said that she and her husband rent because they can't afford a home, and they are smart. Consider that in first quarter 2006, the rate of national foreclosures increased by 38 percent (since last quarter 2005). Grand total foreclosures in the U.S.: 323,102. This translates as one new foreclosure for every 358 U.S. households. The figure was higher than in any quarter of last year (2005). Additionally, foreclosures increased by 72 percent between first quarter 2006 and the same time one year ago.

Next time someone asks you why you don't own a home, give them these figures and tell 'em to fuck off. smiling smiley

April 25, 2006
Thanks Nour for your support! DH and I prefer to travel and see the world with the extra money set from our tax return or go somehwere for our anniversary then put the money towards a home! DH's cousin just bought a house with her boyfriend. They don't have kids, but she has already complained to DH that she never sees her boyfiend because he's always working extra to pay for the mortgage and she's not sure how long the relationship will last! They have been at the new place for about one month! Hmmmm! Does not sound like a lot of fun when you cannot even enjoy your significant other in a home you can't barely afford! DH and I don't want to wait until we are retired to start to travel. We often see retired couples that seem like they are starting to travel because they can now do that, since their damn kids are out of the house and they can start to enjoy life! No thanks!!
Nour
April 25, 2006
Yes, guest, I love to travel, too! Last fall I went to Paris. I've been to India, Malaysia, Thailand, Belize, Guatemala, Italy, Peru. It's great being bratfree, ain't it?
April 25, 2006
Yes! I love to travel. I have been to many countries in Europe before I met DH. But since I've been with DH, we have been to Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Montreal & Quebec, Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay. We try to pick a different country every year. I have been to more countries outside the U.S. then actual states within the U.S. One of the few cities in the US we have visited besides was San Francisco, the most CF city in the U.S.! I am honest and tell hoeowners that we prefer to spent the money on travelling and see the world! We don't want to be stuck working like slaves to pay a mortgage! Life's too short and we want to enjoy it! I would never give up travelling for a kid! Never!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.