Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boomerang Generation #1259

Posted by india_darshan 
Sherz
Re: Boomerang Generation #1259
April 26, 2006
I think that is terrific, guest! If I had it all to do over, I would rather be living that lifestyle. I rented my entire adult life until 5 years ago. One smart thing my DH and I did when buying a house was to buy what we could afford and not live a house-poor life! THe only huge drawback is the neighborhood has gone downhill.
Grace
April 26, 2006
Parents of boomerang children are getting exactly what they deserve for raising children who are lazy, spoiled, dependent and who feel entitled to a lifestyle they cannot provide for themselves. These parents are "paying for it"--literally.

Years ago, I met a successful couple who had worked their way to an upper-middle-class lifestyle. They had worked for years to have a big house, nice cars, exotic vacations, etc. When I first met them, they were in their 50's and still worked full-time.

They have a daughter, and they paid for Daughter's college and graduate education. They also give Daughter extra money for "living expenses" (designer clothes, first-class airfare, BMW and other things that she could not afford on her own) on a regular basis. Perhaps they expected that Daughter would eventually work her way to financial success, be able to support herself and not need their financial assistance anymore? HA! Daughter is now in her early 40's and is still a financial black-hole for her parents. She chooses to work part-time jobs or lower paying jobs that are fulfilling to her. Her parents still subsidize her so that she can live the lifestyle that they live. They seem to want her to appear to be successful, so they continue to give her money. Maybe they would be embarrassed if their friends knew the truth: Daughter is a well-educated parasite?

The husband is now retired, and the wife is very near retirement age. They have little saved for retirement (perhaps because all the extra money went to Daughter instead of into a retirement fund?). They told me that they expect Daughter to take care of them when they are old, because they have done so much for her. I doubt it.

Freedom
April 26, 2006
DH's siblings live with my mother-in-law who makes about 25K a year. SIL is a single mother who works as a baby-sitter and BIL is unemployed and is a single father. SIL has one child who is now 6 yars old and got knocked up at 17 and BIL has one child who is almost 1 year old. BIL's girlfriend also lives with MIL!! Nobody really works, except for SIL who babysits about 3 times a week on a regular bases, but that's doesn't pay much and that is not a job that earns benefits liek working at a company, etc... It is so damn pathetic to see 6 people under the same roof and the only person really working is MIL and sort of SIL. SIL and BIL are in their 20s so they are still young, but why the hell breed if you are unemployed and live off your poor mother who doesn't make much! SIL has no credit, BIL is already bankrupt from being in and out of jobs and unemployed but he bred! GOOD GRIEF!!!
April 27, 2006
I see this a lot, Grace. Many of these young people want to work ""fulfilling" jobs that pay next-to-nothing so they expect Mom & Dad to subsidize them. I have always hustled when it comes to work. There were times I took very low-paying and menial jobs to keep the rent, utilities, insurance, and other cost-of-living expenses paid until I got something better. I never thought I would return to call center work but that is what pays in this area. Where I work is not bad except when the nasty teen boys are crank calling.

I know a woman who is almost my age (I am 42) who went through an inheritance her late-parents left for her. She has a younger boyfriend who quit his job once the windfall came through. He refused to work even though a few call centers wanted to hire him because of his experience. He felt "too good" to work those jobs. So...Cyndi's inheritance is Gone With the Wind and this single mother is back to being poor. It is a disgrace how her parents' hard work was p*ssed away in about one year!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.