Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Well, DUH.

Posted by CherryBlossom 
Well, DUH.
December 29, 2008
http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20081229/hl_hsn/manyteensdontkeepvirginitypledges

Many Teens Don't Keep Virginity Pledges

MONDAY, Dec. 29 (HealthDay News) -- Teens who take virginity pledges are just as likely to have sex as teens who don't make such promises -- and they're less likely to practice safe sex to prevent disease or pregnancy, a new study finds.

"Previous studies found that pledgers were more likely to delay having sex than non-pledgers," said study author Janet E. Rosenbaum, a post doctoral fellow at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. "I used the same data as previous studies but a different statistical method."

This method allowed Rosenbaum to compare those who had taken a virginity pledge with similar teens who hadn't taken a pledge but were likely to delay having sex, she said. She added that she didn't include teens who were unlikely to take a pledge.

"Virginity pledgers and similar non-pledgers don't differ in the rates of vaginal, oral or anal sex or any other sexual behavior," Rosenbaum said. "Strikingly, pledgers are less likely than similar non-pledgers to use condoms and also less likely to use any form of birth control."

The findings were published in the January issue of the journal Pediatrics.

For the study, Rosenbaum collected data on 934 high school students who had never had sex or had taken a virginity pledge. The data came from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health.

Rosenbaum matched students who had taken a virginity pledge with those who hadn't. After five years of follow-up, those who had taken a pledge did not differ from teens who hadn't taken a pledge in rates of premarital sex, oral or anal sex, or sexually transmitted diseases.

Teens who had taken a pledge had 0.1 fewer sex partners during the past year, but the same number of partners overall as those who had not pledged. And pledgers started having sex at the same age as non-pledgers, Rosenbaum found.

The study also found that teens who took a virginity pledge were 10 percent less likely to use a condom and less likely to use any other form of birth control than their non-pledging counterparts.

"Sex education programs for teens who take pledges tend to be very negative and inaccurate about condom and birth control information," Rosenbaum said.

The study also found that, five years after taking a virginity pledge, more than 80 percent of pledgers denied ever making such a promise. "This high rate of disaffiliation may imply that nearly all virginity pledgers view pledges as nonbinding," Rosenbaum said.

She said teens who are religious tend to delay having sex, but that has nothing to do with virginity pledges or abstinence-only sex education programs.

Bill Albert, chief program officer for The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, said teens need to be encouraged to delay having sex, but they also need to be given the facts about safe sex.

"When pledgers fell off the wagon, they fell off hard," he said. "What have we gained if we encourage young people only to delay sex until they are older, but when they do become sexually active, they don't protect themselves or their partners?"

"The notion that it has to be either a virginity pledge or encouraging teens to have sex is a false dichotomy," Albert added. "There is a public consensus in this country to encourage teens to delay sex, but also provide them with information about contraception."

Anyone shocked? eye rolling smiley
Re: Well, DUH.
December 29, 2008
Nope. I had the same reaction you did after watching this story on this morning's Today show. Of course, Meredith Vieira acted quite surprised by the results, and I'd bet there were collective gasps from delusional parents all across the United States.

Another news flash: your little darlings are probably experimenting with alcohol and recreational drugs, too, in case you don't want to wait for the results of those studies to be published.
December 29, 2008
I saw this reported on my local TV news program earlier today. And my first and only reaction to it?

DUH!
December 29, 2008
married with rabbits
I have a friend who got pregnant twice in her teens. Last year she got pregnant (was 24 then) and I asked her how that happened. She told me they didn't use anything because then it would be like admitting they were going to have sex.
:kill

this has gotta be one of the dumbest things I've ever read.
December 29, 2008
I don't remember the figures exactly, but the stats are out there.
I think it said 1 out of 3 of these knocked up teen whores have 1 or more STD's.
Of course, one of the rewards of promiscuity is STD's and the reward of STD's is infertility in some cases.
With chlamidia (spelling??) I heard that one case and your chances of infertility go up by 33%... if you have 3 cases you can just about kiss having a baby goodbye. And this is just one STD. 40-50 years ago there were less then 10 STD's out there. Now it is over 30 as these bugs learn the opportunistic method of passing.
With this in mind, I find that the rise in infertility coincides with the so called sexual revolution and the increase in promiscuity in the intervening decades. Whatever.. no one thinks there should be any consequences to bad behaviour.

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
December 29, 2008
Thank you Captain Obvious!! I never realized that when a teenager pledges to do something, they may indeed NOT fulfill that pledge...

It's like the assclowns who thought up abstinence (or drug/alcohol free) pledges were either NEVER teenagers, or were kept locked in cellars by their parents until they were 20. Signing a piece of paper means nothing to most teenagers, this is why they can not legally enter into contracts.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
December 29, 2008
married with rabbits
Yes, those Christian teens are very bad about not protecting themselves. They think if they buy condoms then it means they were planning to sin, whereas simply having sex is an accident?? shrug

I have a friend who got pregnant twice in her teens. Last year she got pregnant (was 24 then) and I asked her how that happened. She told me they didn't use anything because then it would be like admitting they were going to have sex.

The results of this study don't surprise me one bit. And yep, the kids are definitely experimenting with all sorts of things. Tyra Banks had a show where she revealed that kids were being sexual with one another in the actual school. And that's all I'm going to say about that. blushing

There' is a lot more actual sex going on in and around public school property than they would like to admit, everywhere from the bandroom, the dug outs, locker rooms, to the 50 yard line at night. I have a friend who was teaching in what amounts to a white trash school in the early nineties and when she gathered up all of her fifth graders to go back inside after recess one day, she was missing two students. She then found them naked from the waist down and literally in the act of fucking behind some bushes on the side of the school, ages 10 and 11. The parents (of both) just grinned and giggled about it and made comments like that, "... they didn't even know what they were doing...", etc........eye rolling smiley I do not "get" this nonsense of if they use birth control then it was a planned sin mentality either. That is a very dangerous and potentially life altering game that they are playing with themselves, no doubt. The really bad thing is that their parents would probably agree. Afterall, if they get knocked up at 16, it was God's will and all. Oh yeah, MY first reaction was "NO SHIT Sherlock" when I heard about the "new study" too. Why are these people so stupid and their brains so impenetrable when it comes to common sense and logic?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login