Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternative to moo leave

Posted by barbara 
barbara
Alternative to moo leave
January 04, 2009
This breederific, moo-pandering story was written by the NY times:

SEVERAL years ago, Joyce DeLucca became pregnant at the same time she was building her new company, Kingsland Capital Management, an investment boutique in Manhattan. Her employees wondered: Was she going to take a maternity leave during this crucial period?

She did not. Instead, Ms. DeLucca decided to bring her newborn to the office with her. She set up an enclosed playroom adjacent to her office, where Layla, now 3 1/2, could play, along with a baby sitter.

Layla is still coming to the office. “If I have a break I can stand up and walk into her room,” said Ms. DeLucca, who is 42 and works 12-hour days. “She knows her way around the office, and sometimes she’ll visit me on the trading desk. But it’s not like she comes with me to meetings. If I put my finger to my lips, she knows to be quiet.” Layla’s sister Ariana, who is 7 months old, now comes to the office, too.

More companies are allowing women — and some men, too — to bring their babies to work. The advantages are clear: The women don’t lose money by taking maternity leave. They can breastfeed conveniently. And they can bond with the baby rather than worry that he or she will develop a closer connection with a nanny or a day-care provider.

Of course, disadvantages are clear, too. The needs and noises of babies have the potential to be highly disruptive and to stir resentment among co-workers.

Susan Seitel, president of WFC Resources, a workplace consulting firm in Minneapolis, put it this way: “The business of business is business. I think it’s a little distracting to have children at the office.”

Critics also say that both child and job could lose out because the parent can’t be 100 percent devoted to either one.

Ms. DeLucca’s firm has about two dozen workers, and she says they are welcome to bring in their children as well; about five have done so for brief periods. Her employees like having children around, she said: “I have not heard anyone react other than enthusiastically.”

The Parenting in the Workplace Institute, a nonprofit group that started in June 2006, has a database of 117 baby-friendly companies of all sizes, among them retail stores, banks, law firms and state agencies.

“This has been going on for 15 years in a limited fashion, but in the last two years it’s really taken off,” said Carla Moquin, the founder of the Parenting in the Workplace Institute, who lives in Framingham, Mass.

“It’s partly economic concern,” Ms. Moquin said, because there are many more women in the workplace. “Also, the Family and Medical Leave Act requires companies to give new mothers three months off. Even though it’s unpaid, it’s hard on businesses for an employee to be gone. That, combined with the fact that more people are seeing this as a viable idea, has inspired companies and mothers to work something out.”

The most successful programs, Ms. Moquin said, are ones in which companies have written policies — to designate another employee as an alternate caregiver in case the parent is temporarily unavailable; to specify areas for breastfeeding or changing diapers; and to spell out the ages when children are allowed in the office. Usually, babies are allowed up until 6 to 8 months, or before they start to crawl.

Even women who advocate bringing babies to the office say it can be rough. “It’s far better for me to have my child at home. It’s hard to be your best work person and your best mom because you’re doing both things at one time,” said Denise McVey, president of S3, a 25-person advertising agency in Boonton, N.J., who brought her son to the office for his first eight months.

Borshoff, a communications firm in Indianapolis with 40 employees, has a Bring Your Baby to Work program for infants ages 6 weeks to 6 months. The firm pays 80 percent of an employee’s full salary when the child is in the office.

That way, the parent can devote energy to the child without feeling guilty. “It feels very fair,” said Susan F. Matthews, principal of the firm. “We keep time sheets so we can monitor productivity, and we see that parents really don’t maintain the same productivity levels.”

Alison Gopnik, a psychology professor at the University of California, Berkeley, says she believes that taking children to the office can only enhance their development. “There’s no reason to believe that children need to have absolute single-minded attention being paid to them with nothing else in the background,” she said.

Jacqueline Grace, president and chief executive of LifeTime Media, a publishing company in New York with nine employees, has been taking her daughter Alexandra, now 5 years old, to work since she was 2 months old — all day, every day.

Initially, Ms. Grace said, it was easy to work with Alexandra in her office. “She slept, nursed and slept more,” said Ms. Grace, who would hold conference calls while breastfeeding or while Alexandra was asleep. “As she grew and needed more space to play, I gave her her own ‘office,’ ” Ms. Grace said. “She loved the idea of having an office — and a computer — like everyone else. Of course, her office had a bouncy seat for her — and her dolls and games and balls and markers and bookshelves filled with colorful books.”

Ms. Grace says that all of her employees can bring their children to the office, in the belief that having children around creates a positive environment. “People smile more; they’re more relaxed and playful,” she said. “It has been challenging at times, for them and for me — editing a book and hearing a 3-year-old sing ‘Elmo’ don’t usually mix well — but we all adapt and learn to be respectful of our office-mates.”

SHE says that the arrangement has enhanced her daughter’s “self-esteem, her sense of security” and that it “has taught her so much about who she is, who she can be, as well as some amazing office skills in the process.”

Ms. Grace added that she has been careful to hire “baby-friendly people.” “If you hate children,” she said, “LifeTime Media is not a place for you to work.”
Re: Alternative to moo leave
January 04, 2009
"...More companies are allowing women — and some men, too — to bring their babies to work. The advantages are clear: The women don’t lose money by taking maternity leave. They can breastfeed conveniently. And they can bond with the baby rather than worry that he or she will develop a closer connection with a nanny or a day-care provider.,,,,,,,,Of course, disadvantages are clear, too. The needs and noises of babies have the potential to be highly disruptive and to stir resentment among co-workers......”
(:gross ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS and completely uncalled for as well. I BET it "stirs resentment" because I would have been looking for another job as soon as she announced that bullshit. Why are only "some" men, "allowed"? Duh with bratsd )

"Critics also say that both child and job could lose out because the parent can’t be 100 percent devoted to either one."
(:yeah The critics are correct)

"...Ms. DeLucca’s firm has about two dozen workers, and she says they are welcome to bring in their children as well; about five have done so for brief periods. Her employees like having children around, she said: “I have not heard anyone react other than enthusiastically.”
(eye rolling smiley That's because they are either breeders or they do not want to lose their jobs. Believe me, MANY employess are slightly less than enthusiastic)

"....The most successful programs, Ms. Moquin said, are ones in which companies have written policies — to designate another employee as an alternate caregiver in case the parent is temporarily unavailable; to specify areas for breastfeeding or changing diapers; and to spell out the ages when children are allowed in the office. Usually, babies are allowed up until 6 to 8 months, or before they start to crawl.
(:bayybee Jesus Christ , this is hard to believe. It would be like trying to work while sittting in the middle of the fucking mooternity ward. WAH WAH WAH.........:Duh with bratsd)

"Ms. Grace says that all of her employees can bring their children to the office, in the belief that having children around creates a positive environment. “People smile more; they’re more relaxed and playful,” she said.
(waving hellolarious BULLshit)

"Ms. Grace added that she has been careful to hire “baby-friendly people.” “If you hate children,” she said, “LifeTime Media is not a place for you to work.”[/quote]
(eye rolling smiley I seriously don't think that not wanting to work at a professional publishing company in an atmosphere with breastfeeding, diaper changes, and wailing going on means that people "hate children". jeeeez. Talk about misplaced blame. Don't want to work in kindercare environment=hates kyds. What an asshole that woman is and if she didn't own the business, then she would likely be tossed out on her ass. I hope like hell this doesn't become commonplace in mainstream corporate America.
January 05, 2009
DH and I have a small stock portfolio, currently worth about as much as a jar of pennies. Let's say I have the chance to buy stock from two nearly identical companies each manufacturing the same solar panel.

Company A is staffed by the CF (just for the sake of argument). Company B allows children to be brought to the office.

I will get a much better return on my investment with Company A. The workers will be more focused and dedicated. They will not be distracted by in-office child"care". The business of a business is business. I wouldn't dream of sinking a penny into company B, or LifeTime Media, or any other company that allows this utter foolishness.
January 05, 2009
kidlesskim
"...Ms. DeLucca’s firm has about two dozen workers, and she says they are welcome to bring in their children as well; about five have done so for brief periods. Her employees like having children around, she said: “I have not heard anyone react other than enthusiastically.”
(eye rolling smiley That's because they are either breeders or they do not want to lose their jobs. Believe me, MANY employess are slightly less than enthusiastic)

EXACTLY! Of course they won't tell you how much they hate having to put up with your nasty, noisy shitlings when they're probably a paycheck away from ending up homeless.

"Ms. Grace added that she has been careful to hire “baby-friendly people.” “If you hate children,” she said, “LifeTime Media is not a place for you to work.”

Yay! More discrimination against the CF! This is for you and your breeder company, bitch: angry flipping off
January 05, 2009
Dollars to doughnuts that half the employees are silently SEETHING because of trying to concentrate on their job in the midst of a Chuck E. Cheese environment. Question: would this be considered the sort of "hostile work environment" that leads into lawsuit territory?
January 05, 2009
clematis
Question: would this be considered the sort of "hostile work environment" that leads into lawsuit territory?

That's usually reserved for psychological or sexual harassment cases, but I'd be curious to find out.
January 05, 2009
I'd like to see one of their cool but totally unappreciated 50-something female colleagues stroll in with her 24 year old daughter in tow. Daughter sits around the office being a total annoyance -- breaking things, spinning in the chairs, throwing pencils, playing on the stairs, flopping on the floor, spilling stuff, and going "Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. I said Mom. Mom. Mom look. Mom look. Mom looook!!!!" and as soon as Mom turns around, she stupidly does a pirouette in the corner, kicking over the office plant.

Well? "If you hate children, then TimeLife Media is not a place for you to work."

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
January 05, 2009
Note to self: avoid anything published by LifeTime Media. The editing is probably shoddy.

The Parenting in the Workplace Institute, a nonprofit group that started in June 2006, has a database of 117 baby-friendly companies of all sizes, among them retail stores, banks, law firms and state agencies.

I would like to see this list, please. I need to know who to avoid.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
January 05, 2009
Here is the list: http://www.babiesatwork.org/companies.html
Anonymous User
January 05, 2009
Well for fucks' sake, take a gander at some of those companies:
Mothering Magazine;
Childcare Group;
Natures Child;
Natural Lullabies;
Community Birth Services;
Kangaroo Kids

I mean, really...
January 06, 2009
The Citibank call center in Jacksonville, FL was building more to it's already state-of-the-art building by adding a day care so the people could bring their kids to work. Citi is now laying off thousands of people since the economy fell.
January 06, 2009
Krishna, I hope companies cut back on these moo-centric perks as the economy slows down rather than do layoffs (or at least do fewer layoffs). I hate the thought that some CF people will get laid off because a company "needs" to keep non-essential expenses such as daycare, and the daycare perk cannot be enjoyed by all of its employees, of course (only the breeders). We CF employees are a lot cheaper to retain and don't ask for as many special and costly perks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login