Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not Pc enough

Posted by mercurior 
Not Pc enough
January 05, 2009
Traditional fairytales 'not PC enough'
Parents have stopped reading traditional fairytales to their children because they are too scary and not politically correct, according to research.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/4125664/Traditional-fairytales-not-PC-enough-for-parents.html

Favourites such as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Cinderella and Rapunzel are being dropped by some families who fear children are being emotionally damaged.

A third of parents refused to read Little Red Riding Hood because she walks through woods alone and finds her grandmother eaten by a wolf.

One in 10 said Snow White should be re-named because "the dwarf reference is not PC".

Rapunzel was considered "too dark" and Cinderella has been dumped amid fears she is treated like a slave and forced to do all the housework.

The poll of 3,000 British parents - by TheBabyWebsite.com - revealed a quarter of mothers now rejected some classic fairy tales.

Sarah Pilkinton, 36, a mother-of-three from Sevenoaks, Kent, told researchers: "I loved the old fairy stories when I was growing up. I still read my children some of the classics like Sleeping Beauty and Goldilocks, but I must admit I've not read them The Gingerbread Man or Hansel and Gretel.

"They are both a bit scary and I remember having difficulty sleeping after being read those ones when I was little."

Two-thirds of parents said traditional fairytales had stronger morality messages than many modern children's stories.

But many said they were no longer appropriate to soothe youngsters before bed.

Almost 20 per cent of adults said they refused to read Hansel and Gretel because the children were abandoned in a forest - and it may give their own sons and daughters nightmares.

A fifth did not like to read The Gingerbread Man as he gets eaten by a fox.

The most popular book read at bedtime is now The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.

The simple tale, which features a greedy caterpillar eating too much food, was written in 1969.

It also emerged 65 per cent of parents preferred to read their children happier tales at bedtime, such as the Mr Men, The Gruffalo and Winnie the Pooh.

Three quarters of mothers and fathers try to avoid stories which might give their children nightmares and half of all parents would not consider reading a single fairy tale to their child until they reached the age of five.

Top bedtime stories of 2008:

1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle (1969)

2. Mr Men, Roger Hargreaves (1971)

3. The Gruffalo, Julia Donaldson (1999)

4. Winnie the Pooh, A.A. Milne (1926)

5. Aliens Love Underpants, Claire Freedman & Ben Cort (2007)

6. Thomas and Friends from The Railway Series, Rev.W.Awdry (1945)

7. The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame (1908)

8. What a Noisy Pinky Ponk!, Andrew Davenport (2008)

9. Charlie and Lola, Lauren Child (2001)

10. Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Robert Southey (1837)

Top 10 fairy tales we no longer read:

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

2. Hansel and Gretel

3. Cinderella

4. Little Red Riding Hood

5. The Gingerbread Man

6. Jack and the Beanstalk

7. Sleeping Beauty

8. Beauty and the Beast

9. Goldilocks and the Three Bears

10. The Emperor's New Clothes

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: Not Pc enough
January 05, 2009
http://www.thecfcouple.proboards37.com/index.cgi?board=jokes

of course they could always read my 3 rewrites of nuresry stories in the link abovewink soon to be followed by a 4th

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
January 05, 2009
This is just ridiculous! Here we have a bunch of moos who were neurotic when young (and from what I can gather, still are) and who won't read the brats classic fairy tales. My mother read them to me when I was a sprog and I never had nightmares. Of course these are the same assholes who teach their kyds to be afraid of the dark so the little brats have to have a nightlight. Today's kyds are just plain pitiful and a lot of sissies.
January 05, 2009
Breeders still read to their kids? Now THAT'S news.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
January 05, 2009
Jeeeee-zuuuuus Christ on a cracker. I can't even begin to comment on this. I really can't.

What strikes me the most is the #10's on both lists. Apparently it's ok to read to kids about breaking and entering, but it's not ok to read to them about calling someone out when they're being a douchebag.

All I can say is this makes reason #111,093 why I couldn't be a parent today even if I wanted to. I'd be carted off by CFS for "abuse by story."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
January 05, 2009
MerlynHerne
My mother read them to me when I was a sprog and I never had nightmares.

I always rooted for the witches. Maleficent is still my favorite, followed by The Queen from Snow White.

(And I also love the Wicked Witch Of The West, of course!)
January 05, 2009
Ha! These limp-brained moos should read the originals! The original tales as collected (not written) by the brothers Grimm were incredibly dark and full of sex and hideous violence. They went through several versions of editing to smooth 'em out, but the originals are grim indeed.

You can read some of the originals here: (link at bottom of page):

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/grimm/index2.html

Long list of original stories and their fascinating histories here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimm%27s _ Fairy _ Tales (remove 4 spaces from around underlines).

Just as one fascinating example, Little Red Riding Hood goes back to the 14th century and some versions feature cannibalism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little _ Red _ Riding _ Hood (remove 6 spaces from around underlines).
Anonymous User
January 06, 2009
Hehe, like when Rapunzel got knocked up by the knight.
January 06, 2009
"...Sarah Pilkinton, 36, a mother-of-three from Sevenoaks, Kent, told researchers: "I loved the old fairy stories when I was growing up. I still read my children some of the classics like Sleeping Beauty and Goldilocks, but I must admit I've not read them The Gingerbread Man or Hansel and Gretel.........

So she thinks that eating a poisen apple with a spell put on it that induces a coma in a lovely young woman, and a girl lost in the woods who breaks and enters into a BEAR'S den is a good thing, but all of the others are "scary"? I doubt that these dimwits have ever even read any of the tales and I am convinced they never have read the original versions. Can they not comprehend meanings to stories without a simple explanation after each sentence? It's absolutely ridiculous that fairy tales are now "off limits" to precious widdle kiddies. These women molly coddle, shelter, and hold these kyds back SO much, I really do not see how they will ever survive once they get into the real world. These KYDS are living in a fairy tale that is FAR more scary than the classic stories. Just the thought of a story entitled, "The Mommy Who Had Two Magic Golden Udders".for the mommy who donates breastmilk .....or "Me, Mommy and Binkies Make Three", for the mommy who is tandem nursing ....."My Nursies Got a BooBoo", a gentle weaning story......... makes me shudder in fear.:gross
January 06, 2009
Just wait a bit longer and the top book, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" will soon be rejected because it promotes gluttony or worse.eye rolling smiley
CFBitchfromLA
January 06, 2009
'Scuse me, but the dwarf reference in "Snow White" is not politically correct? Dwarfism is a medical term. Little people refer to themselves using the term "dwarf". It is "midget" that is considered highly insulting in the dwarf community. I have a dear friend who is a little person, and she is very active in her community with the LPA group. She let me know that the term "dwarf" is regularly used, and is not considered derogatory in any fashion.

Rhetorical question, but just how stupid can breeders be? With all of the TLC and other network programs, do these walking anuses ever bother to check their facts?
January 06, 2009
Banshee
Just wait a bit longer and the top book, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" will soon be rejected because it promotes gluttony or worse.eye rolling smiley

Hell, Cookie Monster can't even freak out on cookies anymore.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
January 06, 2009
Strikes me that these parents are avoiding doing any real work as parents. After all, the old fairy tales do require some explanations as to age appropriate (by age I mean the age of the world: middle ages, plaugue years, famine years, etc.) This is too much work for these folk doing TMIJITW.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Anonymous User
January 06, 2009
Modern moos are rearing a generation of pussies. I was watching horror movies at age 5 and I turned out to be a functional member of society. My friends son was raised by this type of woman and at age 15 he is scared of scary movies, fake haunted houses during halloween and roller coasters. God forbid these kids today would turn into the news or something. They wouldn't sleep for weeks.

A lot of times parents don't give their kids enough credit for being able to handle scary things though. This sort of reminds me of that Friends episode where Phoebe sings to a group of children and sings songs that the grownups deem inappropriate (dead grandmas, animal slaughter, transexuals etc) and isn't allowed to sing to them anymore and the kids find her at Central Perk calling her the "lady that tells the truth".
January 07, 2009
Kim, your proposed story titles sound hilarious! Perhaps you can add: "Mommy's Magical Cavern", about a quiverfull moo.

Has anyone read the Brothers Grimm tale where three kids want to pretend to slaughter a pig and end up slashing the throat of one child?
January 07, 2009
married with rabbits
Medusa
I always rooted for the witches. Maleficent is still my favorite, followed by The Queen from Snow White.
(And I also love the Wicked Witch Of The West, of course!)

Maleficent rules.

Kim, will you PLEASE write those satirical children's books, please??

Another vote for Maleficent. True style.
January 11, 2009

story time

January 11, 2009
LucyTrainWreck
Kim, your proposed story titles sound hilarious! Perhaps you can add: "Mommy's Magical Cavern", about a quiverfull moo.

Has anyone read the Brothers Grimm tale where three kids want to pretend to slaughter a pig and end up slashing the throat of one child?

I'll need some more ideas, because I plan on putting together quite a collection of short stories after I finish my book entitled, "I Don't Hate Your Children, I Hate YOU!". I have to whet the appetite of my target audience, which of course will be angry breeders, who I fully expect to make me a millionaire with their threats, public outcries, boycotts, and book burnings/bans. Titles are particularly important for my hateful little stories, so I would appreciate any help that I can get. Every now and then titles just pop into my mind like, "The Loneliest Little Arrow".......... Helping quiverfull parents explain infertility to a child. or maybe, "Ten Toes Up, Ten Toes Down",...... Tasteful, age appropriate illustrations explaining the birds and the bees to quiverful children.. and more recently I thought of, "Bunk Brothers and Big Boy Binkies",.......for the co-sleeping, tandem nursing, and extended breastfed male siblings, (ages 4 and up). :gross
Anonymous User
January 11, 2009
Yeah Cinderella is a bad story because she was treated like a slave. In the original version the evil step sisters hack off parts of their own feet in an attempt to fit the glass slipper, and one version has the wicked step mother sentenced to dance herself to death in iron shoes heated until they glow red.

I read a very early version of that story in the original German... as I mentioned the step-sisters cut off toes, their heels, etc to fit the glass slipper. Then as they began to leave victoriously with the prince, the birds tattled on them calling out "Lookie there, lookie there, there is blood in the shoe!" (It rhymes in German.)

Jesus. People will get outraged over anything today.

Why don't the moos just go ahead an buy houses made of Nerf? God forbid their future brain surgeon bonk its little head on something solid...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login