Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Awesome Parenting and Asinine Comments

Posted by SlumSlut 
Awesome Parenting and Asinine Comments
January 08, 2009
This is from Customers Suck; here is the link and the OP:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=40916

We had a couple come in with their child who looked about three years old. They tell the kid he can get a candy bar. He runs up grabs one and his mother takes it from him to put on the counter.

The kid begins to cry and then grabs another candy. The mom tells him not to cry, she'll buy that for him too. She puts it on the counter, the kid cries again and grabs another. This happens about four more times.

Soon I realize something, the kid's not crying because he wants more candy. He's crying because his mom keeps taking the candy from him. I suggest that I just ring up one of the candies on the counter instead of her taking it from him. (All the candy bars are the same price.)

Sure enough the kid stops crying and does not grab another candy. How is it that I who is not a mother figured out what was going on with kid when his mother could not? How about figuring out why the kid is crying instead of just buying him whatever he grabs?

To top it off who knows what kind of example this is setting for the poor kid?

Comment:

Maybe she was just having a rough day and not thinking, you pointed out the obvious and she went for it. Hopefully she was grateful for your brain power saving her a ton of money in candy. Yes, she was setting a bad precedent — cry and you get more of what you want, but maybe at that point she was too overwhelmed to think.

Comment:

RK, my ex-boyfriend had a child who had Williams Syndrome (a mid-functioning disorder on the autism spectrum). By all outward appearances, a normal child. However, understanding a concept like "put the candy on the belt and the lady will give it RIGHT back when she's rung it through" was completely beyond him. So we would take one from the shelf for the girl to scan, and he would hold HIS in his grubby little paws

My son, who has Aspergers, also had trouble with that type of concept when he was 3-4 years old. You can't judge what the child is capable of simply by his age.

The mom, however, was a bonehead.

Comment:

Probably because you are removed from the situation emotionally, and can look at it from an intellectual veiwpoint. This is the same reason why it is considered unethical for a surgeon to cut on a family member or loved one. Your emotions can get in the way of making the correct decision.

Yeah, she probably wasn't giving the best signals to her kid, but parenting is like that. Parents make mistakes, sometimes. I wouldn't go to hard on the mother in the OP, it doesn't sound like the kid was being a brat. Kid just couldn't understand why mom kept taking the candy she said he could have. Young kids have oddball logic sometimes.

My comment: (which I fully expect to be deleted by some breeder / [pleaser] moderator:

It sounds like the mother is the one with the developmental disability. The kid is pretty smart, learning how to exploit that at such an early age.

Me for BratFree only:

There was one comment that didn't make excuses; I didn't post that one above. But, she responded to the awwtism excuse with "Yea I guess you're right on that one". I bet there will be many more stupid breeder-pleasing comments to follow. The kyd needs candy like a hole in the head. Candy must be the cure for awwtism spectrum.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
The cure for so-called "awwtism-spectrum" behavior such as the candy bar drama above, with a tip of the hat to Ring Lardner:

Smack! "Shut the fuck up," the parent explained.
Re: Awesome Parenting and Asinine Comments
January 08, 2009
I read that as Williams-Sonoma Syndrome.
January 08, 2009
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/ :spin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_syndrome eye rolling smiley

Williams Syndrome is narrowly defined as an explicit GENETIC disorder; but I bet you have a lot of breeders out there who claim their kyd has it but has never even been tested for ANYTHING.

"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

I don't have words to describe the sheer foolishness shown in those comments, a level of such I haven't seen in one place for years (outside Washington DC).

Unless your child is so retarded that he or she is a slobbering idiot it IS possible to teach simple concepts like 'hands off!' We aren't talking teaching calculus or trying to explain religious concepts - just basic rules for daily life. If instilling such means you have to slap Bratford's hands until they're puffy red, so be it. That's not child abuse, that's parenting. Humans share this in common with the animal kingdom: enough painful reinforcement will eventually make us stop doing something.
Even if the kyd wanted more candy, even if it was possible that he was "special", even if moo couldn't understand that kyd was crying because the candy was on the belt instead of his hands, would it be the end of the world if he cried for a couple seconds/minutes till he got the candy back in his hands? Or, she just says to him, Bratley, wait one minute while she rings it up? (parunting = teaching him the right thing!)

And, all this about parunts 'make mistakes'. I'm sure if I took up breeding I wouldnt be perfect, but it really doesn't take that much thought to figure out why brat was crying and just buyinig him everything he lays his hands on is dumb and wrong, and lastly, him crying for 2 seconds while it is rung up will not kill ya, not to mention the precedent youre setting by letting him demand stuff because you took it out of his hands.

Sometimes I wish I did breed, so I could prove to myself how dumb these parunts think firsthand. Then, the breeders would think my ideas were 'spot on'.:smoke
January 08, 2009
CF Uter
Sometimes I wish I did breed, so I could prove to myself how dumb these parunts think firsthand. Then, the breeders would think my ideas were 'spot on'.:smoke

Perish the thought!
January 08, 2009
poofy_puff
This is from Customers Suck; here is the link and the OP:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=40916

We had a couple come in with their child who looked about three years old. They tell the kid he can get a candy bar. He runs up grabs one and his mother takes it from him to put on the counter.

The kid begins to cry and then grabs another candy.The mom tells him not to cry, she'll buy that for him too. She puts it on the counter, the kid cries again and grabs another. This happens about four more times.

Soon I realize something, the kid's not crying because he wants more candy. He's crying because his mom keeps taking the candy from him. I suggest that I just ring up one of the candies on the counter instead of her taking it from him. (All the candy bars are the same price.)

Sure enough the kid stops crying and does not grab another candy. How is it that I who is not a mother figured out what was going on with kid when his mother could not? How about figuring out why the kid is crying instead of just buying him whatever he grabs?

To top it off who knows what kind of example this is setting for the poor kid?

Uh, I figured out what was happening after reading as far as "The kid begins to cry and then grabs another candy." But yeah, according to the moos, I don't know anything about how children think because I've never shot one out of my cooter.

It sounds like this particular moo is one of those who believes that the word "no" will damage her brat for life. How many pieces of candy would she have bought, I wonder? I guess having an obese brat who dies of a heart attack by age 30 is better than having one who had his feelings hurt for about five seconds when he was age 3. eye rolling smiley

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
January 08, 2009
Spank my ass and call me "Captain Obvious".

January 08, 2009
Aside from the obvious, which is that the kyd shouldn't have been rewarded for his shitty behavior with yet more candy, one other thing stood out to me in this blog; The moo who compares an "objective" Walgreen's cashier, who can draw the difficult, highly noble, and wise beyond his years observations and conclusions about the best way to deal with whiny grabbing kyds :bdid..., to a surgeon's objectivity on the operating table. I can SO see how the two situations are comparable,waving hellolarious These types of in depth moo observations and analogies further illustrate their low intelligence levels and confirm that they are narrow minded dummies.
January 08, 2009
I'm not so sure that the comment you reference was made by a MOO, but the rest of your editorial (and a short one for you, Kim!) was pretty accurate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login