H ousehold
I ncome
N o
K ids
E arly
R etirement
Re: Designer Baby Free of Cancer Gene
January 09, 2009
So what do they do with the ones that don't get "selected"?
January 09, 2009
argh argh argh argh argh argh argh.. more pseudo science crap..

cancer is when your own cells grow and grow and grow, and replicate, it can be caused by damage to the cell structure, damage to the self repair system. any CELL can mutate and become bad. in the trillions in your body, one can mutate for any number of reasons, chemical, bacterialogical, viral, sunlight, anything.. genetic, (Women who carry this genetic variation have an 80 percent chance of developing breast cancer and a 60 percent chance of suffering ovarian cancer during their lifetime so 80% of x amount of people could have this, or not we dont know Everyone has BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes. Only a small percentage of people wind up with mutated genes. The highest incidences happen among Ashkenazi Jews, (which Queller is).

— One estimate suggests that one in about 800 people wind up with a defective BRCA1 gene, while BRCA2 mutations are less frequent. BRCA mutations account for only five to 10 percent of all breast cancers diagnosed in America.)

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/what-is-cancer

Cancer is a term used for diseases in which abnormal cells divide without control and are able to invade other tissues. Cancer cells can spread to other parts of the body through the blood and lymph systems.

Cancer is not just one disease but many diseases. There are more than 100 different types of cancer. Most cancers are named for the organ or type of cell in which they start - for example, cancer that begins in the colon is called colon cancer; cancer that begins in basal cells of the skin is called basal cell carcinoma.

Origins of Cancer
All cancers begin in cells, the body's basic unit of life. To understand cancer, it's helpful to know what happens when normal cells become cancer cells.

The body is made up of many types of cells. These cells grow and divide in a controlled way to produce more cells as they are needed to keep the body healthy. When cells become old or damaged, they die and are replaced with new cells.

However, sometimes this orderly process goes wrong. The genetic material (DNA) of a cell can become damaged or changed, producing mutations that affect normal cell growth and division. When this happens, cells do not die when they should and new cells form when the body does not need them. The extra cells may form a mass of tissue called a tumor.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
January 09, 2009
This is pure horse shit as is this giving anti-cervical cancer drugs to girls as young as nine, to avoid their getting HPV which SOME strains are known to cause this particular cancer. Already, there have been deaths and serious illnesses associated with it and of course lawsuits abound. In a Birmingham, Al area suburb where my now 10 y/o niece is attending school, a rash of moomies jumped on the band wagon to give these injections to their daughters and chastised my sister because she said, "NO". One became seriously ill with vomiting and the runs, ended up dehydrated and hospitalized for several weeks, Another classmate who took the injections had a terrible reaction and developed sores all around the injection site and was in horrible pain for a week or longer. NINE YEARS OLD is too damned young to be giving anything like this to because these girls haven't even reached puberty. If they want to PREVENT anything, why not implant a reversible birth control devise? I don't think that ANY disease can be completely prevented anyway, so it's a false sense of security.

What some of these dimwits don't realize is that with by immunizations for completely unnecessary reasons, such as a sexually transmitted disease at age 9 that MIGHT cause a type of cancer that the drug allegedly prevents,IF they have sex and IF they contract that particular virus, they are introducing the virus into their bodies, which they may have never come into contact with otherwise. The risks FAR outweight the benefits, in these cases, IMO. While they monkey around with designer baybees in an effort to make them "perfect", they are no doubt inadvertantly causing OTHER defects, problems, and the likelihood of other diseases, mutations, and susceptibility. I can't believe that these people are SO naive' as to jump onto the bandwagon when they are toting "NO VAX" signs against known, DEADLY communicable diseases. What a bunch of idiots. "NO VAX" for the measles when there are known outbreaks, but lets roll up her sleeves 7 or 8 years before she MIGHT come into contact with HPV, doesn't make any sense what so ever.
CFTeen
January 09, 2009
I'm wondering how long it'll be before, say, insurance companies offer incentives for not having an 'unfit' child, or something equally hideous.
January 09, 2009
yes kidless, theres a chance, that it may, be the 1 in 800 comes out as 0.125% of the population, but 80% of those 0.125% can get it, or 60%, and even then theres no real data on how many people in a planet of 6 billion, has these genes, they jsut correlate this with that..

For example, in 2003 about 45,000 Americans died in motor accidents out of population of 291,000,000. So, according to the National Safety Council this means your one-year odds of dying in a car accident is about one out of 6500. Therefore your lifetime probability (6500 ÷ 78 years life expectancy) of dying in a motor accident are about one in 83.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/36765.html

statistics are worse than anything, they are so misleading

if you can read this book

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
HAHAStupidMoos
January 09, 2009
Ah yes... a fine example of eugenics is good when it serves the breeders desires. Notice how not one person will perk up in an article like this and call it what it is, E-U-G-E-N-I-C-S.
January 10, 2009
ah but eugenics is a BAAAAADDDD word, you know.. its what we have done for many years, with animals, and plants, but when it comes to humans, we should be doing a lesser version. for the good of the species

however, it is up to so much abuse, who decides whats best, what genes are acceptable. i can see the benefits and the drawbacks.

look at the film gattaca. its a very grey emotional area.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login