Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

has anyone else lost a marriage over reproduction?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Hi, I'm pretty new here.

I'm in my late 20s, and I have never wanted children, played with baby dolls, or had an interest in babies.

I've fallen out of touch with a lot of friends over the past few years, because they were only focused on their babies. I've made friends with a few older PNBs, where their responsible high school+ aged kids don't affect their adult relationships, but it's not the same as having friends my own age, which have been hard to find. Fortunately, I'm going to be moving from a smaller town to a larger city where I can meet some new people.

The hardest thing I've faced is going through a divorce. That was not the only issue, so my gut feeling is one of relief, not of sadness, but it was very hard to be told that he would never have married me if he'd known I didn't want kids.

I was more of a fence-sitter then, but I told him clearly and honestly before I married him that I did not see kids as part of my future, and it was very likely that I would never want to have any. I told him that when I turned 30, I would be willing to re-discuss the issue (which is not the same as saying I would want kids then). But what I said and what he chose to hear were two different things. He couldn't believe that any woman would be able to resist her biological clock and that after I got married, I would change my mind.

After we got married, his family started putting pressure on me to reproduce. He was a momma's boy (I only date orphans now!) and he fell in line with them on that and some other issues that we disagreed about, and starting choosing his family over me. He started telling me that I should get pregnant sooner, and I repeated that I didn't see kids as part of my future. It became apparent that he was never going to put me first in his life (his family also started pressing him to become more religious, and he made financial decisions with them without consulting me). And that was that.

I'm in a long-term relationship now and my boyfriend is a fence sitter. He's not interested in children, but he hasn't ruled it out completely. I guess I am not truly CF either, because I don't rule it out 100% that I will never want or have a child. But I have no desire to breed, and I am not a wannabreeder who just hasn't yet. I'm not just counting down the days until my biological clock runs out. I don't know what that makes me. What I am sure about is that someone else, like my ex-husband, is not going to control or pressure me into having a child that I do not want. I hope that even though I am not 100% CF, I can be accepted here, because there is no where else that I know of that will accept a woman who was divorced (partly) for refusing to reproduce on demand.
Re: has anyone else lost a marriage over reproduction?
January 20, 2009
Thanks for your honest post, and welcome.

If you don't feel any desire to have children, you do not have to. Fortunately, we live in a modern age where it is entirely possible to NOT procreate. If your partner has no interest in children, again it's entirely possible to live a life without creating your own children. In fact, if you do not want children in your life 24-7, and you do not have any desire to do ALL THE WORK required to turn a child into a productive adult...DO NOT CREATE THEM. It is entirely possible to be involved in the lives of children, if you so desire, without having to make any new ones.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
January 20, 2009
i would say you need to think about what you wish in life,

your screen name i think says it all free and happy.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
January 20, 2009
Hi and welcome! :bal

I hope it was at least a little cathartic for you to share that story... It's sad, but you did the right thing for you and should be proud of yourself. Good for you for holding your own and not giving in.

You've come to a great message board, there are plenty of people here from all walks of life...and they've got plenty of stories and advice for you. Like many others will tell you, it's okay to not have interest in having children. It doesn't make you a terrible, lazy or selfish person. There are other things to do in life besides procreate.
January 20, 2009
yes we are a good bunch even though sometimes it seems like we are fighting each other, i am male, i live in england, so my view would be different to seacreatures.. we all have been in situations, we have a broad range of knowledge, (i am a link master). so welcome.

captcha why7g

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
My wife and I had some early trials in our marriage that made it abundantly clear from both sides that we are infinitely more committed to each other than our families.

For the most part our families don't cause us any trouble, but we've each got a couple "choice" exceptions. But we both know that the line is drawn around us, not between.

I would, absolutely literally, wipe out every human on the planet for her without hesitation.
Well I say that I'm not 100% CF because my disinterest is in babies.

I don't think babies are cute or fun; I don't want to hold them or touch them; I don't "hate" babies, but I don't "care" about them in any special way.

I don't see myself ever having or caring for a baby.

But I am not closed to the idea of being a parent to an older child.

However, (it's hard to admit this, because I tend to look down on people who say things like this) I don't want to adopt because I was adopted and I know that it's an emotional situation beyond what I want to deal with. There can be so many psychological complications.

What makes me a fence-sitter is that I'd like to educate a child all the way through life. I don't actually like formal teaching, in fact I know through experience that it wears me down and I end up dreading it. I'm not nurturing by nature. It's the theory of education that I'm interested in, not having to listen to a kid repeat the alphabet over and over again... I'd like someone else to do the hands on work of parenting while I tell them what to teach the kid. Because I regret that I wasn't taught better myself, and I'd like to see someone else get the very specialized education that I, in retrospect, wish I would have had.
January 20, 2009
Well...ummm...good luck with that. I guess. It is a very difficult proposition to be able to influence a parent without joining that club yourself, they just don't seem to think their specialized, and most important, skills are transferable from real world experience. Conversely, it will be very difficult to make your own child but avoid all contact with it until it is of an interesting age. It just doesn't work out that way.

I'd ask myself these questions, if I were you...
1. Do I recognize that each child is an individual with its own personality and preferences, and that I can only influence these to a limited extent?

2. Do I really LIKE children? Do I enjoy playing all levels of children's games? Do I enjoy being with someone who is frequently rambunctious, loud, uninhibited, deliberately trying, and who requires my constant supervision?

3. Do I enjoy the idea of parenting? Specifically, do I enjoy the idea of correcting someone else, feeling like I have to correct someone else, monitoring another person's behavior and finding creative and sensitive ways of expressing the same thing over and over until it is understood?

4. Does a disrupted sleep schedule bother me? Or am I the type of person who gets irritated or ill if my 11:30-8:00 schedule is shifted or interrupted? Do I take the irritation out on other people? How will I feel when the baby cries at 2:00 and th en at 5:00? Would I ever feign sleep while my partner tends to the baby?

5. Is a committed relationship my style, or do I tend to have friends and lovers for a while and then move on when I lose interest? How do I feel about starting a close and intimate relationship with an unknown person with unknown interests (i.e., the child) that will last the rest of my life?

6. When I daydream about being a parent, am I picturing the child at a certain age? How do I feel about children at other ages? Do I fully realize that a rambunctious 13-year-old will be my responsibility just as surely as the cuddly newborn is? Am I interested in 13-year-olds?

7. When I daydream about having a child, do I picture the child doing certain kinds of activities, such as little league? How do I feel about the child engaging in activities that I am not interested in, strongly dislike, or disapprove of? (E.g., if I enjoyed contact sports as a child, will I be disoriented by my son's love of the piano and interior decorating? Will I need to "keep trying" if I have a girl?)

8. Do I lose my temper with people who don't catch on immediately? How will that translate into a parent-child situation?

9. Do I expect to be such a wonderful parent that I will never have to discipline my splendid child, or do I expect to make mistakes that I will see reflected in my child's behavior? How will I treat the child when I realize that something I have don e — such as lying to my child — has interfered with his or her purity of spirit?

10. If you are considering "giving" your lover or spouse children, though you don't especially want them, on the condition that he or she take over most of the responsibility for their daily nurture, have you considered the idea that your partner might fall ill, die, or leave you with the kids? Do you have a fallback plan for that eventuality? Or are you hoping that you will become more interested in caring for the children in such a case, or perhaps that you will be able to quickly meet another pers on who will take full responsibilty for them while you do the things that are more important to you?

11. Is your principle reason for having children that you and your lover want to "make something together" or "make something that will be part of both of us"? If so, do you also love _children_? What if the child's personality and interests doesn't much resemble either of yours — will the fact that it has half of each of your chromosomes be enough for you?

12. Do you have extra money that you don't think you'll be using for anything else? Or do you expect your years with your child to be years of "sacrifice"? If the latter, are you accustomed to "hardship" or do you think it is possible that you will r esent the cost of the child who is preventing you from buying other kinds of luxuries?

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Well I certainly don't expect to actually have someone parent a child while I tell them what to teach. I'm just a little disappointed that there is one aspect of child raising that I will not get to participate in.

It's telling that that is the only aspect of child raising that I care about or regret not experiencing though.

I would not have a child to be a living "science fair project".
January 20, 2009
I think I'm going to send that list to my BF, Feh. I'd bet every nickel I have that he has not put considerable thought into almost all of those questions.
January 20, 2009
F&H, I've broke off an engagement and was divorced over the child issue. Good to you for standing up for yourself in your marriage.

Many people think if they just give in and spawn, the family pressure will stop. Actually, if he was already choosing them over you, the pressure would have been worse if you had spawned for him.

It never ceases to amaze me how one person in a marriage will badger someone to spawn even though the person doesn't want to. We're talking about creating a life here...for all their talk about the sancity of life, many breeders just don't get it: it should take two yesses to make a kid. There are many, many divorced couples out there because one person wanted a kid and the other didn't, and it certainly doesn't save marriages.

I recommend that people who know what they want get sterilized, particularly if they are single. It really makes the issue clear to prospective partners. In my case, my ex developed the baby rabies even though I was sterile, primarily because he was a whiny dumbass who turned 40 and started saying stuff like "buuuuut I feel so empty." Granted, this man never talked about wanting to spend time with children and didn't seem to particularly like them...he was struggling with depression and couldn't figure out what else to do with his life. (Very bad reason to have kids.)
At least my being snipped kept me from being oopsed by him.

You don't sound like you are there yet, and that's fine. Your post was thoughtful and I'm glad you are here.

My own reasons were this: Although I like the idea of being in a family, the day to day thought of raising kids left me cold. Also, I didn't see how having a child would make my life better. I always want to be self-supporting and to have my own pension and investments. I'd hate to work, come home and tend to a child. When I get home at the end of the day, I want my own time.

Here's an article I think you may like:

http://enlightenment.supersaturated.com/essays/text/carolynray/shame_children.html
January 20, 2009
It sounds like you would do well as a private tutor or possibly a weekend step parent, although neither of those are exactly ideal situations due to outside influences and other external variables. It seems to me that you desire to educate a child properly, but not actually be responsible for it in general. I can think of few situations where that would be a viable possibility because nannies, tutors, step-parents, etc....... have to accept some form of responsibility for the child. If you take on a child in a part time capacity to fulfill your needs such as a step parent, God mother, private music instructor or tutor, foster parent. "big brother-sister", coach, scout leader, etc..... sometimes even those choices have a way of becoming burdens and you may "want out", but in leaving the situation behind you need to remember that the child will quite possibly be affected in a negative way. I think that it would be better if you published some educational childrens' books or something and see if that helps curb your latent feelings. Whatever happens, I wish you the best.smiling smiley
January 20, 2009
I know of a few relationships that ended over a kid. What is interesting is after the the other half gets the kid they wanted, they will say that they would have been ok without a kid after all.

I would say that if a relationship is going to fail, kid will not save it. CF's split up too, it can happen to anyone. Do what is right for you, other half will never thank you for anything. Those who demand never do. I've seen it too many times.

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety" ..... Ben Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves” ..... Paul Revere

“Sometimes the greatest evils are committed by the silence of good people” ..... Edmund Burke

So, if guns kill people, I suppose pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons make people fat.
I have a friend who is going through something similar. Her husband wants a child more than anything. All his friends are having babies left and right, and so are all of his siblings. He is the only one without a baby. Unfortunately, he married my friend who is not fond of children (especially babies) and doesn't know when or if she'll ever want one. I don't think she wants one at all, but his family is religious and is starting to put the pressure on her, and I think it will crack her. I don't know why people don't have a deep, honest discussion on this issue prior to marriage. I don't think that they did, and now it is becoming a rather big issue, surely only to get worse in the next year or two as he gets into his mid-thirties.

Not only is the mere issue of having a baby a problem for them, but what will happen when it's born is the bigger disagreement. What religion will they raise it in? One is Catholic and one is a staunch Protestant who thinks the Pope is evil. Then there are his female relatives. His mother and sisters are very much into beauty pageants. My friend would sooner give up the child for adoption if it's a girl than allow them to involve it in pageants, which they've already said they'd like to do.

Children can ruin a marriage even when they're wanted by both parents. It is not a subject to take lightly. So often, people just don't consider that there is the option to not reproduce. There are so many other fulfilling things that you can do with life that do not involve diapers, strollers, and eighteen or more years of stress and regret. People need to find someone on the exact same page with them, not marry someone they hope to change or convince of their opinion down the road. It never works.

If you are interested in involving yourself with children, tutoring would probably be a good idea, as someone else suggested. What about something like Big Brothers, Big Sisters? I don't know much about that, though. If you go to church, you could always become some type of youth leader or minister. That would be a huge way to involve yourself and influence the lives of older children.
January 21, 2009
Well, one of the reasons I left my ex was that he wanted kids and he tried to change my mind. He said that he'd make sure his mommy would take care of our kids forever so we could live normal childfree lives...so what the fuckity fuck would be the point of having kids if we weren't going to raise them? He also wanted a whole litter of baybees, so when I told him none never, his response was, "Well, we'll just have one then. I want a few and you want none, so it evens out." There was a whole other laundry list of reasons I left that schmuck, not limited to him being controlling, overprotective, nuts and having a past history of being sexually abusive (and having relatives who are welfare whores and murderers). Recently, Ex proposed to and knocked up a married woman...he's doing reeeeeal good.

I'm really doing a lot of hoping as far as my BF and I. He seems to want kids, but I really don't think he wants them for the right reasons. DBF thinks he is a failure in many ways and he really is not...he could be doing better, but he could be doing much worse, and I think he wants to have kids so he feels like he's done something 'meaningful' with his life and so he can have a few Kodak moments. I like that he once said if his [potential] child screamed bloody murder, he'd lock it in the closet. That was funny. Thus far, it seems he is willing to relinquish having kids to be with me, but neither I nor he knows for sure if he will be okay with this forever and I do not want him to resent me because of it. We've had the kids talk and he knows how I feel, so I guess I just want to really hope when we have the talk again and if he says he wants me more than babies, we don't get married and he suddenly decides he wants babies. I have been honest with him, and I trust him to be honest with me.

And for the record, I have asked him if he'd consider volunteering, babysitting, or being a Big Brother in order to get a kid fix. Or adopting if I DO for some reason change my mind. He said he "didn't want to take care of another person's mistakes". And he'd also never date a childed woman. I don't think he realizes than a child being biologically your own doesn't guarantee you'll love them. And I'm sure I'd be expected to do the scutwork...I'd bet a thousand bucks that if he were to be a SAHDud, he'd go nuts. He would not enjoy having his MMORPGing or Wii-playing interrupted by a baby or a mobile toddler.

I made him promise me we will talk about this again before he tries to propose. I do not want him wasting money on a ring if we can't sort out these issues first. I'm hoping for the best because I do love him. Hopefully this won't be two relationships busted over kids.
January 21, 2009
Good points Feh. While none of us here (to my knowledge) seem to be even minded about the nurturing of children as you seem to be FreeAndHappy, suffice to say I have been in your shoes and it is very tough going. That being said, children revolt me, even at time my own relatives. Also, bear in mind that the mod has made it very clear that posts from breeders will be deleted. So take it for what it's worth.

Welcome. :1welcome
January 21, 2009
FreeAndHappy, if you have ANY doubts, ANY whatsoever, DO NOT DO IT.
I would NEVER be a weekend step-parent. There is NO way that I would date/marry a man with children, even if he didn't see them often. (And if he weren't involved in their lives, he'd be a shitty parent, and although I'd rather not be involved with a parent at all, if I had to pick, I'd rather be with a good parent than a shitty one who can't take responsibility for his own offspring.)

I would stick to tutoring older children if I were going to do something, but honestly, I volunteer teach ESL to adults now, and I find it incredibly stressful. I would just like to see already existing children be better educated. Not so much though, that I'm going to give up my career to see it happen. Like I said before, I would never have a child that I didn't intend to care for in other ways in order to be a educational experience.

If my posts are going to be deleted as a "future breeder" (which I think I've made clear is not in my plans, I am just not ready to say it is 100% never a possibility), then I'd rather know now so I can leave without being upset. If I were the kind of person who were going to breed to save a relationship or because of external pressure, I would have done so years ago.
January 21, 2009
no i dont think you will be deleted, you need to think about the future.

you havent said anything others havent said, there are others who arent sure and we have talked to them. you havent said anything that some of us havent thought at one point or another..

January 21, 2009
Also good advice period: never marry a mammas boy.
Even if they are child-free it is never a good row to hoe.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
January 21, 2009
Cambion
Well, one of the reasons I left my ex was that he wanted kids and he tried to change my mind. He said that he'd make sure his mommy would take care of our kids forever so we could live normal childfree lives...so what the fuckity fuck would be the point of having kids if we weren't going to raise them? He also wanted a whole litter of baybees, so when I told him none never, his response was, "Well, we'll just have one then. I want a few and you want none, so it evens out." There was a whole other laundry list of reasons I left that schmuck, not limited to him being controlling, overprotective, nuts and having a past history of being sexually abusive (and having relatives who are welfare whores and murderers). Recently, Ex proposed to and knocked up a married woman...he's doing reeeeeal good.

I'm really doing a lot of hoping as far as my BF and I. He seems to want kids, but I really don't think he wants them for the right reasons. DBF thinks he is a failure in many ways and he really is not...he could be doing better, but he could be doing much worse, and I think he wants to have kids so he feels like he's done something 'meaningful' with his life and so he can have a few Kodak moments. I like that he once said if his [potential] child screamed bloody murder, he'd lock it in the closet. That was funny. Thus far, it seems he is willing to relinquish having kids to be with me, but neither I nor he knows for sure if he will be okay with this forever and I do not want him to resent me because of it. We've had the kids talk and he knows how I feel, so I guess I just want to really hope when we have the talk again and if he says he wants me more than babies, we don't get married and he suddenly decides he wants babies. I have been honest with him, and I trust him to be honest with me.

And for the record, I have asked him if he'd consider volunteering, babysitting, or being a Big Brother in order to get a kid fix. Or adopting if I DO for some reason change my mind. He said he "didn't want to take care of another person's mistakes". And he'd also never date a childed woman. I don't think he realizes than a child being biologically your own doesn't guarantee you'll love them. And I'm sure I'd be expected to do the scutwork...I'd bet a thousand bucks that if he were to be a SAHDud, he'd go nuts. He would not enjoy having his MMORPGing or Wii-playing interrupted by a baby or a mobile toddler.

I made him promise me we will talk about this again before he tries to propose. I do not want him wasting money on a ring if we can't sort out these issues first. I'm hoping for the best because I do love him. Hopefully this won't be two relationships busted over kids.

This sounds frighteningly like my first husband, who was apparently childLESS when I married him instead of childfree. I figured that at his age, which was 35 or older at the time that he started that shit up, he would have had time to be sure what he wanted, but I guess not. He didn't volunteer only his own MOTHER'S services, but he volunteered his aunts, cousins, and his sister as well. When I brought it to his attention that he was leaving out one very important person in the kyd's life he seemed a bit dumbfounded and angry then I spelled it out: Y O U! That right there was really the BEST trump card that he ever handed over during an argument,(he was a CHAMPION debater, but baybee rabies weakened him, like Sampson's hair or something) yet he STILL made excuses for his OWN lack of including himself. He "forgot". or "that just goes without saying", etc......So, in addition to leaving himself out of the equation "on accident", he was also changing his reasons for doing it. A person doesn't have to be an avid watch of Dragnet or Perry Mason to know when someone is a big fat liar.

As for the asking him to baybeesit for others and all of that, there was no NEED to ask because he made the answer clear. I used to baybeesit HIS flesh and blood nephew while his mother worked a second shift and did it over a long period of time and he was very resentful about it, jeaolous almost. NOT ONCE did he cook the kyd anything to eat, NOT ONCE did he play a game with him, talk with him, take him anywhere, do his laundry, etc.......Of course I brought it up and along came the similar bingos which you mention, "It's different when it;s your own", or any number of other excuses about how that boy had been a "mistake" because his ex BIL was an asshole, etc............I think that an unwillingness to become involved in BLOOD RELATED kyds' lives, and in this case the boy was ONLY 5, is reason enough that this person should NOT self replicate. I divorced him for unrelated reasons, but within 10 months he had hooked up with a mouse of an old highschool girlfriend who already had 3 kyds with as many men, and he knocked her up immediately. They never had another one, so something tells me it wasn't quite what he had expected, or else her babee oven finally went on the blink from overuse.shrug
January 21, 2009
Another piece of advice...it never stops at one.
If you give in and have "just one" the pressure will continue because it is socially unacceptable to have just one child. Don'cha know? Only children are selfish and psychotic. An only child will need - no Require- a sibling. Preferably of the opposite sex so you can have a "set". I've seen this happen so many times, it's not even funny....

Childed aquaintance: "I don't think I could go through this again, it's so tiring and such hard work. I can't wait until Sprogford is in school."

Feh: "You don't have to, I liked being an only child. It has a lot of benefits. And more kids just makes the work harder"

CA: "I know! I really don't want to have to stop drinking for pregnancy again. That sucked."

6 months later

CA "We're pregnant! I hope it's a girl!"

Feh: "And this is going to make your life easier, how?"

CA:"Granmoo's are going to be around to help for the first couple months, and well, they said Sprogford needed a sibiling and Duh really wanted another and well, I did come from a big family..."

Feh: "Well, good luck with that"

--Me
January 21, 2009
Adding on to what Feh said, what if you don't get the coveted boy and girl children on the first two tries? You get pushed to keep popping out kids until you get that missing gender. It is no fucking coincidence when you see a family where the five oldest kids are girls, the youngest is a boy and the parents decide only after Boy is born that they will stop spawning. Or vice versa with girls. The folk who do end up with a boy and a girl usually call it quits...unless they have a "miracle", which they just have to keep. Then when they have an uneven ratio of boys to girls, they need to try some more to even things out. You just can't have two girls and a boy - that's screwy!

And I also never understood why people lament and bitch and whine about how haaaaaarrrrrd it is to be a Moomie or a Duhddy and then go and have more kids. If it was hard with the first one, it's going to be twice as hard with two of the little bastards, so why do that to yourself?

And yikes, Kim...your ex sounds like quite a trip. Glad you got the hell away from that one.
Feh, I am actually seeing the only child thing happen with some of my friends. After one planned child, my friend was going to be sterilized, but her doctor made her wait because she "might change her mind".

Now our other friends are pressuring her to "give him a sibling". I also liked being an only child, but everyone else is doing the only children are messed up dance. And I'm like- yeah thanks for implying that I'm selfish and asocial.

When she inevitably has the second child, I'm not going to even acknowledge her pregnancy complaints.
Cambion, that hits close to home. My fucktard biological parents had SEVEN girls before having their precious baby boy.

And they put the last girl, me, into an orphanage, so that they could afford to keep trying.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login