Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moos to be paid £100 to quit smoking.

Posted by CherryBlossom 
Moos to be paid £100 to quit smoking.
January 22, 2009
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1126653/Pregnant-women-paid-100-quit-smoking.html

Another "delight" from the Daily Fail.

Pregnant women to be paid £100 to quit smoking

By Andrew Levy
Last updated at 4:22 PM on 22nd January 2009
Comments (0)
Add to My Stories

Pregnant women are to be paid up to £100 by the NHS as an incentive to quit smoking.

Expectant mothers will receive £20 for the first week off cigarettes. They will then get another £40 after a month, and £40 more if they manage a full year.

The payments will be handed over in the form of vouchers to be used at Co-op stores for any purchases except tobacco and alcohol.

The scheme is being tested by North East Essex NHS and could be adopted by
primary care trusts across the country if successful.

But Harwich Tory MP Douglas Carswell, whose wife Clementine is expecting their first child, said that just being pregnant should provide enough motivation to quit.

'Talking as someone who is expecting their first child at the end of March, I find it pretty amazing anyone would smoke when they are pregnant. I hope that the health of the child would be all the incentive they would need,' he said.

'I am all in favour of spending money on stopping pregnant women from smoking but I am not sure that cash-style handouts are the way to go about it.

'I just can't believe there is a single adult in the country who does not know smoking is very bad for you and very bad for an unborn baby.'

Mr Carswell, who grew up in Africa where his parents were doctors, also warned the scheme was open to abuse as people could claim to be smokers in order to claim the handouts.

Mark Wallace, of the TaxPayers' Alliance, added: 'It is wrong for NHS money to be used to bribe people who wouldn't otherwise make a healthy decision themselves. The nanny state has gone too far.'

North East Essex NHS, which covers areas including Harwich and Colchester, will pay for the scheme from its £451,000 annual 'smoking cessation budget'.

Last year, more than one in five of all women from the area who gave birth said they were smokers.

Midwives and GPs will promote the programme and expectant mothers will be tested using breathalyser-type technology to measure carbon monoxide levels in their bodies during weekly visits to local health clinics.

Anyone who fails the test will be banned from receiving vouchers.

The scheme was launched on Monday, the day before government figures revealed the number of smokers giving up has barely increased since the ban on puffing in public places and in spite of a huge increase in money being ploughed into quitting schemes.

Last month, the Daily Mail revealed the proportion of men who smoke has actually risen since the ban, while there has been no change among women.

Sue White, who is in charge of the North East Essex scheme, said: 'Women who smoke during pregnancy are a key target group for our service.

'We hope by offering this added incentive of shopping vouchers it could make the difference with some women between kicking the habit or carrying on smoking.'

In October, Telford and Wrekin NHS Trust in Shropshire announced it was planning to offer pregnant women gift vouchers and beauty treatments to quit smoking.

Are they fucking SERIOUS? The tax payers already PAY for these whores to breed, now they have to pay for them to stop smoking too? Who the FUCK comes up with this shit? ranting
Re: Moos to be paid £100 to quit smoking.
January 22, 2009
OOH! I smoke and am pregnant? where is my handout (I don't smoke and well, you know the rest.) What's to keep them from taking the cash and continuing to smoke?
January 22, 2009
Yes, because don't you know? The only women who shouldn't smoke are knocked up cows or mooooooooos. Everyone else could burn to death for all they care.
January 22, 2009
nothing, its just another bribe.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
January 22, 2009
I could really use some new makeup.
January 22, 2009
they dont really want people to stop, back to the tax route, but they want the right people(read breeders) to stop.

its just to show that the "government" is caring for mothers.. thats all like any scheme this government runs its a fake and cheat and does bugger all

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Yep folks, UK handouts to breeders are so lame and easy because us British have a F@#!ing S+#T government. It's just another bribe to losers.
They should fine the moos for smoking. If they can afford the cigarettes then they can afford the fines.
January 22, 2009
I'm working my way up to smoking...the patch, the gum....then ciggies and a little baby bump....YAY!!

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
January 22, 2009
I think that they should use this opportunity to con the stupid bitches into getting on a "smoking list" and then later use it against them by denying other benefits down the road as well as criminally. I see all types of smoking bans around children from private cars to personal homes already, so it's only a matter of time before it will be illegal to be a moomare and smoke at all. Once they are on the "list", then they will be easy to track down and fine, arrest, and deny benefits when applicable. I would NEVER admit to the government, insurance companies, or most anyone if I smoked, the way things are headed. Doctors are refusing smokers as patients, insurance is denying claims, etc......even when the illness has NOTHING to do with smoking. If I smoked and got a smoking related illness, I would blame it on second hand smoke. I'd like to see the mother fucker who could deny that second hand smoke caused it since afterall, it is MORE dangerous than smoking, apparently. I have reason to believe that that can't tell the difference in first/second hand smoking related illnesses anyway and they would have a hell of a hard time proving it too, IF the patient could manage to stay tobacco free for a few days before the testing.

I know for a fact that it's already being done in workers' comp claim cases, medicare, and medicaid regarding their refusal to schedule/perform surgeries on smokers (in some areas), as well as with some denials of treatments or payment of claims within the private insurance sector, I tell the government as little as absolutely necessary, or any agency or business which is likely to report any personal health related info about me to them. They don't want your history in order to help you, they want the info to find reasons to blame you for your illness or disease or so they can deny you treatment or medical coverage, at least from what I have seen. I don't trust ANY of them because they have incentive to deny-delay treatment in more ways than imaginable if someone is a NON parent. I am not being paranoid because it really happens, not just with smoking but with other medical treatment as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login