Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Caylee Marie Anthony tribute doll

Posted by clematis 
The Caylee Marie Anthony tribute doll
January 26, 2009
from this link

A Jacksonville promotions company plans to sell a doll as a tribute to slain toddler Caylee Marie Anthony.

The Inspirational Caylee Sunshine Doll will go on sale Tuesday for $29.99.

The blonde-haired, 18-inch doll wears jeans and a T-shirt depicting a sun and the phrase: "CAYLEE SUNSHINE." The song "You Are My Sunshine" plays when her belly button is pushed.

Jaime Salcedo, president of Showbiz Promotions, said he is not selling a doll that looks exactly like Caylee because it would be too morbid and difficult for the public.

Instead, he said, they want to honor and respect Caylee's life by bringing awareness to her case.

"We want it to be a tribute," he said.

Salcedo said this is the first product his promotions company will sell that is inspired by the victim of a crime.

Salcedo said he plans to donate a portion of the proceeds to charity -- though he does not have an organization lined up yet.

Salcedo said he's waiting to hear back from several organizations, including the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. He is considering donating $3 for every doll sold.

Asked about whether it's appropriate for his company profit on Caylee's death, Salcedo said he is anticipating critics.

"I think that that is going to come up," he said.

Salcedo said the public does not understand what it costs to make the doll, ship it, import it, and his company's expenses.
Re: The Caylee Marie Anthony tribute doll
January 26, 2009
I think that this is a vulgar and poorly disguised attempt at a "tribute" with the token "donation to charity" (yet to be named)nothing more than a cover up for his trying to turn a profit at the expense of a murder victim's memory and of the family. It's even worse considering the circumstances surrounding her death and that her own mother is accused. I think that an injunction should be filed against his being able to use the girl's name or likeness in the manufacturing or sale of any toy. JMO.
January 26, 2009
Oh my gosh, this is the lowest of the low. Selling a doll of a dead child. Now I've heard it all. I'm surprised someone hasn't capitalized on Jon Benet Ramsey and created a little fashion doll of her.

Sick people. Just let the child rest in peace.
January 26, 2009
What a way to make money off tragedy.=P
January 26, 2009
married with rabbits
The kid WASN'T a bottle blonde.

Seriously! The doll looks nothing like her!

The whole thing is beyond creepy, anyway.
January 27, 2009
Charming and tasteful, no? The interesting part is that Cindy Anthony, Caylee's grandma, said to be bankrupt, has trademarked the name, "Caylee Marie Anthony." The doll is called the "Caylee Anthony" doll. Many people speculated in the newspaper article's comment section whether the grandparents were in on the doll sales, since they had a trademarked name. Others wondered if the deliberate use of the short form of her name and obvious physical differences were the manufacturer's attempt to do an end run around the Anthonys' trademark.
January 27, 2009
just shows, the ghoulish attitude of people,

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
January 27, 2009
Fucking twisted opportunist. Let's buy one for her slut mom.
Gang, I just searched the US Patent and Trademark Office trademark site and can't find any evidence that "Caylee Marie Anthony" or even just "Caylee" has been trademarked. Nor does anything readily come up under Google.com using "Caylee Anthony trademark", except in comments to an Orlando Sentinel story. I did not go through all those comments because nothing else on the Google search results page confirmed it. Sounds like rumor...

I'm not a lawyer, see one if you need legal advice, etc., but I have a little passing familiarity with the subject from patent and trademark research. Receiving a trademark takes time and money that most people aren't going to want to spend. You can't just get a trademark overnight; the application process is not simple or instantaneous. Receiving one on a person's name would be very difficult. The child's likeness would be a different matter, and that's where the doll maker has wisely chosen to make the doll appear differently from the actual girl.

However, another online version of the story says that the outfit making the doll also produced the "Michael Vick Chew Toy for Dogs". You might remember that Vick is the football player busted for dogfighting and animal cruelty. In my opinion, either all of this about the doll is a hoax ($29.99? Who's gonna buy it?), or Mr. Salcedo has a bizarre sense of humor.
January 27, 2009
This is sick. Twisted and demented.
January 27, 2009
twisted and demented but not in the good way

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
January 27, 2009
Jacksonville company to suspend sales of Caylee Anthony doll
By Amy L. Edwards | Orlando Sentinel Staff Writer
10:54 AM EST, January 27, 2009
ORLANDO - The Jacksonville promotions company that announced plans Monday to sell a doll inspired by Caylee Marie Anthony is now suspending its launch.

In an e-mail statement this morning, Showbiz Promotions president Jaime Salcedo stated: "After reviewing the response to our media introduction of the Sunshine Caylee Doll and listening to the advice of the general public ... We feel that is it (sic) best to suspend the launch of The Sunshine Caylee Doll."

The company planned to start selling "The Inspirational Caylee Sunshine Doll" today for $29.99. The doll plays the song "You Are My Sunshine" when her bellybutton is pushed.

The blond, 18-inch doll wears jeans and a T-shirt depicting a sun and the phrase: "CAYLEE SUNSHINE."

The Caylee Anthony case: From the beginning Salcedo told the Orlando Sentinel on Monday that the doll purposely does not look like the slain toddler, whose remains were found near her east Orange County home last month, because that would be too morbid.

News of the product outraged the attorney representing Caylee's grandparents, George and Cindy Anthony.

"This is an example of another person trying to profit from the tragedy of Caylee's death," lawyer Brad Conway said Monday. "He has never met my clients, spoken to my clients and has not gotten authority of any type to do this. And after I have a chance to research it, I will likely take whatever legal action I can."
January 27, 2009
Whaaa??? Stop the launch of the biggest dead baby cash cow EVER? What are they afraid of Nancy Grace or something?
She'd probably be all over this shit.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login