Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1303 Preg and Osteo

Posted by KidFreeLuvnLife 
KidFreeLuvnLife
1303 Preg and Osteo
May 01, 2006
Oh sure, what a GREAT reason to have a baybee!
Re: 1303 Preg and Osteo
May 01, 2006
Oh I have a reason that will make your head want to greet the wall. The same moron on the forum was talking about how her friend shat out three loaves because, apparently, pregnancy relieved her symptoms of Crohn's disease. Her kids were like widdle magick pills that cured her and shtuff! OMG! I find it kind of funny that these people will start making up their own cutesy medical fallacies when facts conflict with their bullshit. It's funny, but pathetic.
KidFreeLuvnLife
May 01, 2006
It sure is. I've done a lot of reading that any autoimmune diseases you may have in your genetic background, that are lying dormant, often come out during or shortly after pregnancy because of the toll pregnancy takes on your body.

Or people WITH already active autoimmune diseases that are told NOT to have children because they could die but then go ahead and do so anyway.
CF Scorpio
May 01, 2006
My mom has osteoporosis and so do some of my friends' moms. Yes, it's anecdotal evidence, but it at least proves that giving birth does not make you immune from osteo.

And KFLL is right: lots of diseases come out during pregnancy. My old boss got gestational diabetes while pregnant with her 3rd child.
Lynn
May 01, 2006
Osteoporosis is genetic, and I really don't think that pregnancy makes much a difference in making you immune to it.

My maternal grandmother had severe osteoporosis before she died, and she had three children. My mother, who's now 75, also has three children, and she's now in the beginning stages of osteoporosis. Her doctor has prescribed medication for her.

My own doctor has told me that because of my family history, and because I have other risk factors for the disease (it's most common in Caucasian and Asian women who are naturally small boned, as I am), I am at risk of developing it when I'm in my 60s and 70s.

So I'm taking steps now to build bone mass, such as running and doing other weight-bearing exercise at least five times a week, and eat enough calcium. Those are probably the best steps for women who are at risk for developing osteoporosis to take.

As I've seen in my family history, pregnancy isn't enough to conquer this disease. My grandmother probably developed it partially because she was a very inactive woman who never exercised, and because she probably didn't eat enough calcium-rich foods (she had a very unhealthy diet). I am glad my mother started exercising regularly when she was in her 60s, and that she's more careful to eat healthy foods than she was when I was a child. I think doing that has helped her ward off the disease as much as possible.
CF Scorpio
May 01, 2006
Lynn Wrote:

> My own doctor has told me that because of my
> family history, and because I have other risk
> factors for the disease (it's most common in
> Caucasian and Asian women who are naturally small
> boned, as I am),

It's interesting that a lot of people still think that African-Americans don't get osteo. I had a professor in college back in 1984 who studied the osteoporosis research. Apparently that misinformation is based on ONE study of about 34 women to see which ones would develop osteoporosis. There were only 2 African-American women in the group, and neither developed it, so on the basis of only 2 women, the entire medical profession tells us that African-American women don't get osteoporosis.
May 01, 2006
That's like when they tell you that your horrible monthly cramps will get better if you have a baybee. I was told that by a doc, and so was my aunt. Guess what? She had 2 kyds and was still in agony every month after that.
Ranter
May 01, 2006
You are so right, Medusa. B/c, actually, getting prgnant really doesn't help endometriosis cramps, b/c they'll eventualy come back. www.endoknow.com I read up on stuff like this.
------------------------------------------
Osteo runs in my family, too. So does depression, allergies and so on. Pregnancy does nothing to "cure" this either. Instead, it'll just pass on and others will suffer as well.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.