Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Baybee Born with the 12 Fingers/12 Toes (article and reader comments)

Posted by kidlesskim 
The Baybee Born with the 12 Fingers/12 Toes (article and reader comments)
February 03, 2009
Baby Born In Bay Area With 12 Functioning Fingers, 12 Toes
Friday, January 30, 2009 – updated: 12:17 pm PST February 2, 2009

DALY CITY, Calif. -- A Daly City couple is beaming after becoming the proud parents of a healthy but incredibly rare baby boy this month.

Baby Kamani Hubbard has six-fully formed and functional fingers and toes on his hands and feet. It's called “polydactyly” -- extra digits -- not an uncommon genetic trait, but Bay Area doctors say they've never seen a case so remarkable...........

But his dad Kris Hubbard noticed this spectacularly rare case of polydactyly: 6-perfect fingers on each hand and 6-perfect toes on each foot, which went well beyond a general trait that runs in his family......

“Some family members have had six fingers, not completely developed. But not the toes,” said Kris Hubbard, 34 and a postal worker.

In fact Kris Hubbard himself had nubs of sixth fingers removed as a child..............

But Hubbards case is so vanishingly rare according to doctors, and because the extra digits are functional, it's not a deformity to be discarded.

“It's merely an interesting and beautiful variation rather than a worrisome thing,” said Dr. Michael Treece and St. Luke's Hospital Pediatrician. “I would be tempted to leave those fingers in place. I realize children would tease each other over the slightest things, and having extra digits on each hand is more than slight. But imagine what sort of a pianist a 12-fingered person would be imagine what sort of a flamenco guitarist, if nothing else think of their typing skills.”

Kamani's mother says she hasn't had time to absorb this; her baby's specialness didn't even show up on prenatal ultrasounds.

“ I heard nothing before I gave birth so I'm still in shock, kinda,” said Gross.

“I just want him to see what greatness will be in store for him,” said Kris Hubbard.......

shrug I will agree that it's interesting and uncommon for this boy to have 12 functional fingers and all that, but WHY is it so shocking to them? The daddy says right there that OTHER famblee members, including himself, had been born with 6 fingers on each hand albeit they were mostly non functional, but it's still something that shouldn't cause them any shock. If it "runs in the famblee" then it shouldn't be any big deal, but rather it's about time that a set of six fingers on one of them was finally functional. As for the doc who says that he would "be tempted to leave those fingers in place", I think that if he didn't, it would be medical malpractice. shrug

Reader comments about the shocking and rare baybee with 6 fingers and toes:

"What's the big deal? My grandson was born with 6 digits on each hand and foot. The 6th fingers didn't develop and eventually fell off bet he still has 6 toes on each foot. The hard part is that he has to have sepcial shoes that are wide enough. He didn't make the national news when he was born: (confused smiley "fell off"?)

"One of the sons of the biblical giant, Goliath, is said to have had six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot:
2 Samuel 21:20
And there was yet a battle in Gath, where was a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant. - KJV
1 in every 500 births!

1 Chronicles 20:6
And yet again there was war at Gath, where was a man of great stature, whose fingers and toes were four and twenty, six on each hand, and six on each foot and he also was the son of the giant. - KJV " (Well that proves this was no less than inspired by God for this kyd to have 6 fingers eye rolling smiley)

"...I don't think that evoultion had anything to do with it i believe that god makes each of us just the way he wants us. and it seems god made this child this way for some reason!..." (Here we go with the "reason" something unusual or unexplained happens, He has six fingers and toes for a "reason" which only God knows, a "special purpose", more so than if he had been born with the standard issue set eye rolling smiley)

"My son, Adam, who is now 35, was born with twelve developed fingers and twelve developed toes. Likewise, they did not discover it when he was born but his father did later the same day when he was holding him. They were all perfect and fully functioning. We had the extras removed when he was 5 months old because we did not want him to suffer from the teasing of other children. However, Adam was discovered to have hydrocephalus ("water on the brain") and had to have surgery to have a shunt implanted. Later he was diagnosed with Klippel Feil Syndrome, which has as symptoms fused neck vertabrae and sometimes polydactyly. Adam went on tocomplete a two-year college computer degree. He does have some neurologial problems, but works full time and has normal intelligence....." (ooookayyyyyyy......:crz I can certainly see why they had perfectly healthy and functioning digits removed and also why she felt the need to share "Adam's" medical history and life story. shrug)

"What a stupid story to publish! My brother was born with 12 fingers and 12 toes back in the early 80's. It's not that uncommon! This story makes it sound like the kid has two heads or something. Another boring, pointless and over exaggerated story by our media. Just plain Stupid!!! " (bouncing and laughing SEVERAL comments like this with angry polydactylees pissed that no one did a news story on THEM or THEIR six toed famblee member. I guess it's like the baybee trump thing that moomies do with the "my baybee is better than yours because........." game )

confused smiley I went back to the comments to pick out some more and the comment section was deleted. It was just getting to some of the better ones too when I left it earlier today. I wonder why they deleted them? :bawl
Don't worry Kim, I'm sure you'll find something interesting to post about!

But...who gives a FUCK about a kid with extra appendages???? WHO CARES??!!!! Our state of economy is so incredibly frail that I guess the media is grasping at straws to find some small morsel of 'good' and 'happy' news. They've failed miserably with this one, geeeezzz...Mr. T: I pitty tha foold
Re: The Baybee Born with the 12 Fingers/12 Toes (article and reader comments)
February 03, 2009
I thought the baybee came out in India. My bad.:spin
those fingers and toes are actual working ones, not the usual ones.

the usual form is they are misform, with no real connective tissues, they are just nubs.

its the like simpsons episode they are talking about how they could develop (that world) into pink coloured and 5 fingered beings. if they do no harm let them keep them. especially is they work

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
People that reproduce KNOWING they have disabilities, deformities, diseases, etc., that they can pass on to their kids are the most selfish fuckers on the face of this planet.

We've got 2 polydactyl cats, of course unlike any human baby, they're the most adorable things, my little men as I call them. My Avatar is a picture of our big gray furry dude.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login