Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Childfree cities

Posted by Latrodectra 
Latrodectra
Childfree cities
May 04, 2006
No post reference.

I'm moving out of the bay area soon and am not sure where to move to. I'm scoping out Phoenix AZ right now but I remembered I saw a list of childfree friendly cities somewhere and can't find it now. Does anybody here have any suggestions or know the list I'm talking about.

Thanks everybody.
sprogless
Re: Childfree cities
May 04, 2006
Sorry, I don't have the list, but a big congrats for making it out of the Welfare State! If you find that list, will you please post it? I'm trying to get out of here, too...
Anonymous User
May 04, 2006
I don't know the list, but I was just going to post a rant about this.

I'm moving from Calgary to Halifax in the fall (yay!). Calgary is the most American part of Canada (Texas with snow), and a big oil city. There are tonnes of kids because the economy is booming. Halifax is still a good sized city, but it's on the lower side of Canada, the fishing industry is really crappy, but Halifax is full of young adults (there are 7 universities there), but young families (they mostly move out to Calgary), so NO KIDS in Halifax! It's great! What a nightlife!
GreenGrass
May 05, 2006
I remember reading recently that Toronto was Canada's least child-friendly city. Made sense to me, as I LOVE Toronto.

Where I live (Houston) is not necessarily kind to the child-free, but I live the gay neighborhood here, where no one really has kids. Maybe you want to check into the gay neighborhoods in various cities? They always have the best restaurants and (at least in my hood) no ugly McMansions.
CF Scorpio
May 05, 2006
Generally, U.S. college towns are not very famblee-friendly and you won't see too many sprogs there. I remember my breeder ex complaining about all the dirty looks he used to get pushing a stroller in Ann Arbor, MI.
Ranter
May 05, 2006
College towns are excellant. I wish I had the list, too.
Anonymous User
May 06, 2006
God I wish I lived in a gay neighborhood! Providecetown, Mass rocks!!
If you're straigt you won't find a date, but hell look at all the fun you have. CF Scorpio dirty looks for a stroller,I love it!!!!
VLM
May 06, 2006
GreenGrass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember reading recently that Toronto was
> Canada's least child-friendly city. Made sense to
> me, as I LOVE Toronto.
>
> Where I live (Houston) is not necessarily kind to
> the child-free, but I live the gay neighborhood
> here, where no one really has kids. Maybe you want
> to check into the gay neighborhoods in various
> cities? They always have the best restaurants and
> (at least in my hood) no ugly McMansions.

Now #10 on my life's To-Do list: Move to Toronto - Canada's least child-friendly city. smiling smiley
Anonymous User
May 06, 2006
Toronto, Montreal, Halifax are all child unfriendly.

Depending on the neighbourhood, Vancouver can be child unfriendly.
Dorine
May 07, 2006
Do not consider a move to anywhere in the Mid-West. We are bulging at the seams with brats and their breeders. Every politician in the upper Mid-West, of either political stripe, panders to the family-friendly crowd with their tax breaks, incentives and handouts in every state, county and town.

May 07, 2006
Lady Cooper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Toronto, Montreal, Halifax are all child
> unfriendly.
>
> Depending on the neighbourhood, Vancouver can be
> child unfriendly.

I agree about Vancouver - just avoid the Aquarium in Stanley Park, because that's where all the brats and breeders are.

As for Montreal: no way. I'm the only single and CF house in the whole fucking neighborhood. It's Bratville everywhere, except maybe downtown (Red Light and Gay District).

KidFreeLuvnLife
May 08, 2006
The area I live in is kinda divided into 2: either very child friendly or very NOT child friendly. Guess which side I hang out on?
Feh
May 08, 2006
I do not think there is one single politican in the U.S. who doesn't bow and scrape to families. Even my congress woman, who is gay, mentions how good it would be "for families and children" to have universal health care. Granted, I know she understands that single adults also need health care, but it cheeses me off that in speeches, it's always gotta be about the "families and children". That's just the way it is here, because if you haven't sprogged, you're a worthless worker drone who is only around to make things easier for the baby makers.

Anyone know if there is a list of the "most child unfriendly" cities in the U.S.? I did find this little snippet...
March 24, 2005
Childless cities

Thriving cities have everything but children, observes the New York Times.

Portland is one of the nation's top draws for the kind of educated, self-starting urbanites that midsize cities are competing to attract. But as these cities are remodeled to match the tastes of people living well in neighborhoods that were nearly abandoned a generation ago, they are struggling to hold on to enough children to keep schools running and parks alive with young voices.

San Francisco, where the median house price is now about $700,000, had the lowest percentage of people under 18 of any large city in the nation, 14.5 percent, compared with 25.7 percent nationwide, the 2000 census reported. Seattle, where there are more dogs than children, was a close second. Boston, Honolulu, Portland, Miami, Denver, Minneapolis, Austin and Atlanta, all considered, healthy, vibrant urban areas, were not far behind.

Latrodectra
May 08, 2006
Great suggestions everybody, thank you. I would like to move to Canada but being someone who has never lived out of their homestate I think I'll try a different state rather than a different country for right now. tongue sticking out smiley

I know I live in a big childfree area but I've had it with the bay area for a varity of reasons.

I was looking at Portland as well but the snow lost my vote. Doesn't mean I can't move there later.
Ranter
May 08, 2006
I agree with that the midwest sucks.
CFBoston
May 09, 2006
Sorry - I really can't recommend any areas in Southern New England. Even though Boston is a college town, it's still very family friendly, and the fact that it is a college town presents many other issues for residents - loud parties, vandalism, and (literally) fighting for parking.

Sharon J. - Provincetown is quiet off season. However, from May until September it's stroller city! And the sidewalks are narrow, so you're walking in the streets!
CF 4 Ever
May 09, 2006
The midwest is parentville, especially near 3-digit highways. I drove around looking for an address, and I got so lost out here in Suburbia, Missouri. Around every turn, parents, kids, strollers, SUVs, moo-vans, etc. UGH. I drove down this 4-lane main road for at least TWENTY MILES, and everything just keeps repeating: McMansionville this way, Wal-Fart, Applebeez, Tile and Floor this and that, Pier-1, Red Robin, over and over and over. It reminded me of those cartoons where the same scene keeps going by. And the traffic!! These BREEDERS move away from "the city" so they can BUILD A WHOLE NEW CITY!! There was more traffic in parentville than I have EVER seen downtown! I kept thinking 'so this is where parents hide their precious offspring from the big, bad city.' And I saw THOUSANDS of McMansions and starter castles. I felt like George Costanza in the famous Parking Garage Seinfeld episode. "How can you find anything here--everything looks the same!!!!" --CF 4 Ever
Ranter
May 09, 2006
Here in the midwest, we even have breeders in the city! Not just in sprogburbia. I'm almost about to move to the country to get a way from ppl. Yes, I get sick and tired of seeing the same thing over and over. No wonder I love it when we are traveling out of the midwest... Always a refresher.
May 09, 2006
we should build our own town a cf town one that works

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.