Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

There's just no dignity...

Posted by CherryBlossom 
There's just no dignity...
March 10, 2009
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1161014/Parents-baby-kept-alive-ventilator-launch-court-battle-prevent-doctors-letting-die.html

Parents of baby kept alive by ventilator launch court battle to prevent doctors letting him die

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 7:10 PM on 10th March 2009
Comments (0)
Add to My Stories

Parents of a nine-month-old boy being kept alive on a ventilator today pleaded with a High Court judge not to let him die.

Doctors caring for the baby claim he is in pain with no chance of ever getting better and want Mrs Justice Parker to let them take him off the ventilator and let him die peacefully.

But the parents of the little boy - identified only by the initials OT - are opposed to that course.

They want him kept on the ventilator to give him every chance of living in the hope he might get better.

OT is one of the longest surviving babies on a ventilator having been first put on one when he was just three weeks old.

But one of the doctors treating him told the court: ‘There is no prospect or hope of a cure.’

The little boy has suffered brain damage and is unable to breathe unaided.

The doctor admitted that once taken off the ventilator OT would die within weeks.

He became critical last week when he caught an infection, but is now stable but still in intensive care.

He is on morphine to control his pain but the doctor told the court that treatment to keep him alive only caused him more pain.

She said in nine months he had never shown any recognition or happiness, or any pleasurable response, and withdrew when anyone touched him.

She claimed that she and all the nurses and staff helping to care for him have been affected by the amount of suffering he was going through.

And she said that keeping him on the ventilator would condemn him to a ‘life of suffering with no prospect or hope of a cure because the damage to his brain is so great.’

She added: ‘There is no hope for the future. The only thing we do is inflict pain on him. I do not think he should suffer it any longer.’

The hospital was concerned about him long-term and said it was in his best interests to take him off the ventilator and give him palliative care until he dies.

But the parents named only as Mr and Mrs T are opposing the application by the NHS Trust responsible for the hospital to let him die peacefully.

It is their hope that some miracle cure will bring their son back to them and they want him to be kept on the ventilator to give him that chance.

The judge is weighing up all the medical evidence and is expected to give her decision later this week.

How utterly selfish and cruel... Just let the poor kid die already!
Gigabyte
Re: There's just no dignity...
March 10, 2009
One word: Martyr
Anonymous User
March 10, 2009
What selfish cows. Give it up already. hitting over the head with a hammer
March 10, 2009
They don't actually care about the child. It's painful to lose any loved one, but even then people understand that letting the person pass on peacefully and as painlessly as possible will allow the person to go with less distress. The child might be brain damaged and young, but one of the universal sensations any being can understand is pain, and this kid is no exception.

Nothing good will come out of the child being kept alive like this - he'll do nothing but drain resources that could go toward people who *have* a fighting chance, all the while being in horrible pain. The parents need to be kicked in the teeth, and I'm so hoping a random nurse or doctor takes pity on the poor kid and just secretly pulls the plug one day and allows the poor kid to go in peace. Right now, Moomie and Duhddy are doing nothing more than treating the kid like a junior-high science experiment and seeing how long they can poke and prod and interfere with nature to keep this tiny creature alive.

In short, these people are sadists. Everyone else around them is being affected by watching this baby get tortured and Moomie is indifferent. Sick fucks.
March 11, 2009
Yep, Cambion, somthing like this is way up there on my Soci-O-Meter. The kyd needs to be allowed to die in peace with as little pain and discomfort as can be managed. Stupid selfish, fuckhead breeders! If they really LOVED the kyd they would want to do what is best for HIM! People like this make me want to two faces puking
March 11, 2009
Gotta go with Gig-"Martyr"
Anonymous User
March 11, 2009
CherryBlossom
.....But the parents named only as Mr and Mrs T are opposing the application by the NHS Trust responsible for the hospital to let him die peacefully.

I pity the fool......that keeps a brain-dead infant alive.
March 11, 2009
bal-de-vis
CherryBlossom
.....But the parents named only as Mr and Mrs T are opposing the application by the NHS Trust responsible for the hospital to let him die peacefully.

I pity the fool......that keeps a brain-dead infant alive.

LOL

Seriously though, the baby was only 3 weeks old when he was put on life support. It's not like the kid is old enough to have shown his personality and they will mourn him as a person. All they are going to mourn is the loss of the perfect ideal Kodak moment castle they had built up in their heads the moment she pissed on the stick.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
March 11, 2009
They got just what they wanted, a tiny person who will never complain while they do with him whatever they want to better their own self-interests, why the hell would they willingly give that up?

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
March 11, 2009
If they truly loved the baby, they would never put it through this torture. What selfish idiots.

- The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
March 11, 2009
Wonder if we'll discuss this when I do Neonatal Resuscitation Provider recert this weekend?
March 12, 2009
Let the baby go back where it came from... Just let it go

this problem is not unique: look at the misery imposed on children because of preemies. what percentage of these creatures have permanent problems because of the fact they were born too soon? and how much of this is a genetic predisposition for being born too soon?

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
March 12, 2009
twocents
Let the baby go back where it came from... Just let it go

this problem is not unique: look at the misery imposed on children because of preemies. what percentage of these creatures have permanent problems because of the fact they were born too soon? and how much of this is a genetic predisposition for being born too soon?

That's a great example. I can't stand when someone calls a preemie who can't walk, talk, and has the same IQ as my cat a "miracle." I remember reading an article a while back where they interviewed parents of preemie babies a few years after the kids were born. All of the parents of the severly disabled kids admittied that if they could go back and do it again they would let nature take its course. Only the moo of the kid who ended up normal said she wouldn't change it, and she acted very condescending towards those who do choose to let their preemies die (quite easy for someone who ended up with a non-disabled kid).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
March 13, 2009
What selfish parents. They should just take their lawsuit money, let the kid die, and hatch another loaf. Typical Life Script for this scenario.

After which, I'm sure we'll see a blog and car magnets for whatever worthless cause they're supporting.
eileen moores
March 21, 2009
For anyone who has a tot with a disability, be very scared about this.

This is the NHS now - gettign rid of premature baby units as 'some premature babies we save are left with disabilities', and now , being given a legal right to kill. The summary of this news item isnt accurate - this child doesnt actually have a life threatening condition - what they have been given is permission to stop feeding her altoether, and to withdraw all medications and even fluids - she will therefore die within a fortnight of dehydration.

There are millions of children born with 'special needs' - who go on to be lovely family members, and with a bit of a shove from the right parents, to live independent, worthwhile and very happy lives.

It should be UP TO THE PARENT WHETHER THEIR BABIES ARE GIVEN TREATMENT, not an accountant, and certianly not the shower of dog dirt who work at this trust under the guise of 'nurses' and 'doctors'. Note well that they dont name the Trust, so that the children of babies with similar needs can avoid 'choosing and booking ' there - and so no one can organise so much as a peaceful protest there. Hitler set up similar clinics for disabled children in the 1930s called the T4 Aktioongruppe - PROTEST WHEREVER YOU CAN
eileen moores
March 21, 2009
do discuss this at your trianing session - or they'll be calling on you to back up murder or lose your job very soon..

This is the NHS now - gettign rid of premature baby units as 'some premature babies we save are left with disabilities', and now , being given a legal right to kill. The summary of this news item isnt accurate - this child doesnt actually have a life threatening condition - what they have been given is permission to stop feeding her altoether, and to withdraw all medications and even fluids - she will therefore die within a fortnight of dehydration.

There are millions of children born with 'special needs' - who go on to be lovely family members, and with a bit of a shove from the right parents, to live independent, worthwhile and very happy lives.

It should be UP TO THE PARENT WHETHER THEIR BABIES ARE GIVEN TREATMENT, not an accountant, and certianly not the shower of dog dirt who work at this trust under the guise of 'nurses' and 'doctors'. Note well that they dont name the Trust, so that the children of babies with similar needs can avoid 'choosing and booking ' there - and so no one can organise so much as a peaceful protest there. Hitler set up similar clinics for disabled children in the 1930s called the T4 Aktioongruppe - PROTEST WHEREVER YOU CAN
March 21, 2009
does a child who is in pain, and suffering, has no chance of a proper life.. should they be kept alive..

one of my cousins had a child born with massive brain damage (essentially most of the brain wasnt there it was only alive by machine).. does that child need to live.. what about doctors who says about the childrens life, are they experts yes.. but no parents who have no medical experience, only see what they want to see.

i guess you are a parent..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
March 21, 2009
eileen moores
do discuss this at your trianing session - or they'll be calling on you to back up murder or lose your job very soon..

What nonsensical scaremongering, with a Godwin thrown in for good measure. And F...Y...I...no one here at B R A T F R E E has a "tot," thank heavens.

How about this. One special super-large preemie clinic is set up somewhere in a central location like Kansas. Other hospitals are allowed to curtail their preemie units to a bare minimum. If a preemie is born and the doctors and nurses decide it's best to let the child peacefully die, the parent then has the choice--against medical advice--to transfer the child to the special clinic--AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE. If the preemie lives and begins to get better, after 1 month the parent is required to transfer the child to said clinic--AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE. Our insurance--which I've used ONCE in the past 15 years for a broken bone--is sky-high because of, among other reasons, the billions spent in preemie wards, often for kids who grow up with crippling disabilities that harm their quality of life. Is it compassionate to force them to live?

Wonder how many more parents would begin to agree with the doctor's advice and, realizing they'd have to pay otherwise, nod solemnly when he or she says it would be better to let the child die. Let parents put their money where their mouths are and see what happens.
March 21, 2009
eileen moores
It should be UP TO THE PARENT WHETHER THEIR BABIES ARE GIVEN TREATMENT

You heard her, folks. LET THE PARENTS DECIDE.

The door swings both ways you daffy bint. Letting a ruling stand that gives the medical community no sway in how a patient is treated can just as easily cause the death of children who might be saved but for the objections of parents to their treatment.

Species Parent, right up there in stupidity with the Dodo Bird.

[and how in the hell do parents find this board? I don't go trolling for parent groups to post in, I don't have that time to waste. aren't these dodos supposed to be busy doing the 'most important job in the world?']
March 21, 2009
Dorisan
eileen moores
It should be UP TO THE PARENT WHETHER THEIR BABIES ARE GIVEN TREATMENT

You heard her, folks. LET THE PARENTS DECIDE.

The door swings both ways you daffy bint. Letting a ruling stand that gives the medical community no sway in how a patient is treated can just as easily cause the death of children who might be saved but for the objections of parents to their treatment.

Species Parent, right up there in stupidity with the Dodo Bird.

[and how in the hell do parents find this board? I don't go trolling for parent groups to post in, I don't have that time to waste. aren't these dodos supposed to be busy doing the 'most important job in the world?']

Yeah, I always wonder, too, how these parunts find the CF boards. I guess they condescend from their heights to enlighten us poor, benighted CF souls (sarcasm off). You breeders want the damaged loaf to live, you pay the whole costs OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKETS and stay the HELL off the CF boards! Anyhow, aren't you supposed to be doing TMIJIW (TM)?
March 21, 2009
Yeah...but since breeders are irrational by default (real parents would realize their child is in pain and let it go peacefully), they can't be trusted in terms of deciding when to end Junior's life support. Especially since they are not actually paying for the treatment and they never will.

I think if the kid has no chance of survival long term, the hospital should give the parents a week to decide what to do. If they don't decide by then, a doctor pulls the plug whether they like it or not, and then the parents will have 72 hours to come get the body for funerary arrangements; if they leave it, it gets destroyed with the rest of the medical waste. If they decide to keep their vegetable hooked up to life support, they begin making payments immediately, without loans or government help or charities. THEY must pay, first for current care and then for past care. They can be late on one payment - after that, one more late payment and the life support goes off within 24 hours.

Or, Mommy and Daddy can have life support withdrawn and they can take their kid home and let him die there. With them, in a personal place. Or maybe Momma and Duhddy can sue someone and buy a life support machine of their own, and Mommy can research nursing online and figure out how to try and care for her dying child without those meanie-head know-it-all doctors. Them assholes only go to college for 4 or more years, but Momma read two pages on someone Blogspot about nursing and now she knows better for her kid than any half-baked doctor, right? :chug

I know it sounds rough, and normally I'm not in favor of such control in medicine. But really, when we're talking about vegetating brain-dead children or premature fetuses who have no chance of long-term survival (and by 'long-term', I mean at least six months).They do nothing but take up space, resources and money.

And hell, even if the kids do grow up, chances are they will be retarded. As evidenced by some recent topics, some of these retards become threats to others. Keep your brain-damaged loaf and it grows up into a brainless murderer who has no empathy and no understanding of wrongdoing. These are the freaks who often get 'saved'.
March 22, 2009
dor and mer, they sometimes find us by trackbacks.. then if one find it they spread it to the moofia..

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
March 22, 2009
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/5027916/Baby-OT-dies-after-court-rules-his-life-saving-ventilator-must-be-switched-off.html

A nine-month-old boy known as OT has died after his parents lost a legal bid to overturn a ruling giving hospital staff the power to stop medical treatment keeping him alive, the parents' solicitor said.

Appeal judges upheld a High Court ruling that gave doctors at an unnamed NHS trust powers to turn off the ventilator keeping him alive.

The parents of the seriously ill child earlier said they were "deeply distressed" by a court ruling allowing their "beautiful and beloved boy" to die.

The NHS trust had argued that the boy was suffering intolerable pain as a result of his treatment and condition and had no prospect of recovery.

Neither the baby, the trust involved in the case, nor the parents – Mr and Mrs T – can be identified.

The Court of Appeal judges refused the couple permission to challenge a decision by Mrs Justice Parker made after a 10-day hearing.

Lord Justice Ward was told the couple had decided to wait outside the courtroom while the ruling was given as they could not face hearing the decision.

He said he would like to have addressed them personally and asked their lawyers to pass on the message that it was impossible not to feel the "deepest sympathy for their predicament".

Lord Justice Ward and Lord Justice Wilson said they would give the reasons for their decision at a later date.

The case echoes the legal battle over the treatment of baby Charlotte Wyatt in 2005. She was given just a five per cent chance of survival but is still alive four years later, after her parents won the right to force doctors to resuscitated her if she fell ill.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/5025165/Right-to-life-parents-lose-bid-to-save-baby.html

They believe that his condition – a rare metabolic disorder – is not hopeless and that he could improve and be able to leave hospital if given time.

But last night two Court of Appeal judges rejected their application to appeal, exhausting the final legal avenue to keep the baby alive.

The parents said they understood that their child's treatment would now be withdrawn within the next 24 hours and said: "We plan to enjoy what little time we have left with our son."

They added in a statement issued through their solicitor Christopher Cuddihee, of Kaim Todner: "We are deeply distressed by this decision.

"OT is our only and beloved son. He is a beautiful boy. He has an extremely rare metabolic disorder. Only one other child with his condition has ever been identified by modern medicine. So we were all in unknown territory.

"That was the real argument between us and the doctors - they think his life is intolerable and that his disability is such that his life has little purpose; but we, along with some of the nurses, believed that he experiences pleasure and that he has long periods where he was relaxed and pain free.

"Our belief in his humanity and inherent worth justified us taking every step to support him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login