Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I wanted to jump over her till and throttle her - my 16 year old coworker is pregnant!!!

Posted by Anonymous User 
So there was some unpleasantness at work today, and if it hadn't been while the store was open I would've danced on her skull.

H, for the sake of anonimity (sp?), came into work today looking much less cheery than last weekend. She's a student and only comes in at the weekend and for the past few weeks has been a beacon of cheerfulness because of her boyfriend (not unlike myself; for those of you who don't know it took me almost a year to find a new job and now I'm ecstatic just to be there - I can't tell you how many customers comment on my constant happy mood).

This afternoon, while it was quiet, I noticed she looked down and assumed that she's been dumped by said boyfriend. That's when she told me she was pregnant Mr. T: I pitty tha fools

Cue the stunned silence wherein a million different thoughts run thru my head. Do I say Congratulations? Do I launch into a speech about how she deserves more than a shitty life as a teen mum?

Actually I pulled a face and gawked at her for ages before finally asking "Seriously?" I wanted to jump over her till and throttle some sense into her, but by that point it started getting busy so I just dropped it.

I don't want to rock the boat because I love this job and most of the women there have kids - the best part being that they don't blather on and on and on about them. Any advice?
i would say make your own choice, to have or not to have dont let others push you into doing something you are nervous about.

you need to work out the pros and cons of having that child.. will the father stay around, will you be able to get a job.. ge them to go through the pros and cons.. and say think about your choice in life.. where you are and where you want to be..

dont dictate, say think for yourself..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Since you say you really like your job and want to keep it, I wouldn't say anything to rock the boat. This teen may misconstrue what you say to her, and then she may tell someone else that you said she should __________________.

- The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
i would actually say it in front of someone there, and say think about the future of you and your boyfriend, that way they cant miscontrue it

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
I would tell her she needs to speak with her parents/boyfriend/boyfriend's parents, and leave it at that. Unless she comes to you asking for advice it's really not your place to say anything to her. After all, she is only a work colleague, she's not a friend, relative, etc..
That girl is just a dick pocket to her so-called boyfriend, who took off the instant his seed took root.eye rolling smiley

Tell her that the kid should be caught and forced to be a duh to her spawn or pay child support. Whatever he does, he's in BIG HECK OF TROUBLE!

Seriously, most teens are more like wild animals that just go into heat and then move on as soon as the next generation is produced.

No real love involved or anything.=P
This might be overstepping some boundaries, but maybe try to get a feeling for whether she really wants to go through with the pregnancy (and given that she appears sad about it, she probably doesn't).

Then I would offer to be her driver if she decides to get an abortion. I don't know the legality of this, but assuming you wouldn't be getting yourself into trouble, it could be a really good thing for you to offer in the way of help. She may actually want to abort, but feel like there's no one whom she can trust to tell, and as far as I know, you need a driver to take you home after the abortion. Also, you could be a source of moral support for her to get through it all.

Just a thought!
Good points, Guesty, though I would sound her out if she feels like sharing with Soulie. I think this is covering some pretty delicate ground. If she does share withh you, Soulie, then if you are willing to drive her to have the abortion (assuming that is what she wants), then go for it and offer help. But given the times we're in at the moment, do not jeopardise your job.My good wishes go with you and to the young lady that she will think this out and either abort or choose to adopt the loaf out, which I think would be best for both of them.
m4p
Since you say you really like your job and want to keep it, I wouldn't say anything to rock the boat. This teen may misconstrue what you say to her, and then she may tell someone else that you said she should __________________.

Kaye
I would tell her she needs to speak with her parents/boyfriend/boyfriend's parents, and leave it at that. Unless she comes to you asking for advice it's really not your place to say anything to her. After all, she is only a work colleague, she's not a friend, relative, etc..

I agree with both m4p and Kaye...this is thin ice. I'd stick to Kaye's approach and leave it at that. The sticky part is that it's a work situation. You wouldn't want her enraged mom storming up to your workplace and unleashing a screaming tirade that your manager hears every word of...unfairly making you the "problem employee." Good luck! friendly hug
for me personally, i would rather be told the facts the truth and then make up my mind,

everyone has to follow their own path.. but to do so without the knowledge to choose right.. is a sin in my book.

everyone goes to hell in their own way, at least they can have a choice of paths..with the right knowledge

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login