Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Babysitting.....

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Babysitting.....
March 25, 2009
Due to a family emergency, Mr. Pompom and I may be babysitting relatives A baby and a toddler. Both in diapers. I have never seen / touched / smelled a dirty diaper before. I have never fed a baby. If one of them spits up, I will die. I do have a work function which might preclude my babysitting, if they need us to come too early. G-d help me....
Re: Babysitting.....
March 25, 2009
Oooooh, may the Gods be smiling down on you with this situation. Good luck.
March 25, 2009
Jesus, do you have to? I'd say no.
March 25, 2009
I'm just wondering, how is it that you and the Mr. are the ONLY people available to provide this service? Even if there are no other relations in the area, surely they have friends available who probably have more experience with children. Nothing against you, but I'd assume that a responsible parent would be more comfortable leaving their small children with a person who has some experience with them.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Anonymous User
March 25, 2009
Feh
I'm just wondering, how is it that you and the Mr. are the ONLY people available to provide this service? Even if there are no other relations in the area, surely they have friends available who probably have more experience with children. Nothing against you, but I'd assume that a responsible parent would be more comfortable leaving their small children with a person who has some experience with them.

One would think Feh... but Mr. Pompom had tons of experience looking after younger siblings! That's why we were asked! I can stomach it once, but I'm worried that maybe we might be setting a dangerous precedent...
March 25, 2009
pompom
Feh

One would think Feh... but Mr. Pompom had tons of experience looking after younger siblings! That's why we were asked! I can stomach it once, but I'm worried that maybe we might be setting a dangerous precedent...

Yeah, I have to agree. I'd turn this down unless their ONLY other choice is to leave the children in a box on the street...and even then I'd be quite firm that it will only happen This One Time. Once they know you will babysit in an "emergency", suddenly everything becomes an emergency. They won't bother to get a babysitter because they know they can just say "Well, the babysitter canceled at the last minute, and we must get this lifesaving steak dinner because Moo's got low iron", or some such nonsense. I'd also charge them...just because you're family does not mean your time is worth less than what they'd pay a stranger to watch their kids.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Anonymous User
March 25, 2009
Spit cloths. Lots of spit cloths.

Good luck.
March 25, 2009
I'd say no and if Mr. Rose insisted (say, niece or nephew) then he's on his own for the evening.
March 25, 2009
pompom
If one of them spits up, I will die. ..

I'd get my affairs in order if I were you. Make a will, whatever. Because they WILL spit up.

OTOH, spit-up will NOT kill you.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
Anonymous User
March 25, 2009
I encourage you to do a bad job..that way the won't ask you back. Leave wet diaper on for hours so that baby gets diaper rash, leave the kitchen all messy with baby formula stuff that you didn't know how to clean. You want them to think you really do suck at this. Complain that you couldn't get them to stop crying after eating, and look stunned about having to burp them.
I'm sure other can chime in with other ideas. Hopefully Mr. Pompom can just do it for you.

Btw, is there any chance they are doing this so you will see how wonderful it is so you will have your own? Because if it is, I think that will backfire. I watched my niece and nephew once for a weekend when they were 8-10 and it sure did reinforce my decision NOT to have them.
Good luck
Anonymous User
March 25, 2009
PS
I encourage you to do a bad job..that way the won't ask you back. Leave wet diaper on for hours so that baby gets diaper rash, leave the kitchen all messy with baby formula stuff that you didn't know how to clean. You want them to think you really do suck at this. Complain that you couldn't get them to stop crying after eating, and look stunned about having to burp them.
I'm sure other can chime in with other ideas. Hopefully Mr. Pompom can just do it for you.

This is what I'd do, but I'm evil. And, beforehand, I'd make sure the parents see how clumsy I am. I'm sure they don't want their precious little brat dropped on his precious little head.grinning smiley
Anonymous User
March 25, 2009
I AM OFF THE HOOK! YAY! They need us too early and I have to go to a work thing at 5:30. Mr. Pompom is taking care of it. Whew.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login