Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Earth Hour

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Earth Hour
March 28, 2009
This letter was printed in the letters to the editor in my local fishwrap yesterday - clearly by a CFer, methinks:

"I hope if people indulge in the traditional lights-out pastime at Earth Hour they use contraception. Overpopulation is a major cause for environmental degradation. Rather than flicking out the lights, people could do something really effective by being sterilised after their two children per couple and by condemning and shaming excessive breeders."

What a hoot! And here I thought I was the only person in my entire city with such thoughts! That put a big smile on my face yesterday morning as I enjoyed my breakfast (and I'm sure caused much mooing and braying from breeders. If any of them respond tomorrow I shall post it).
Anonymous User
Re: Earth Hour
March 29, 2009
You know what? I wrote something similar on a website promoting many different things to save the environment, like we wouldn't be in this mess if there weren't so many of us. I refuse to take part in Earth Hour, because it's not going to solve anything and it's only meant to make breeders feel smug about themselves, although they are the problem.
March 29, 2009
Srsly. I try to LIVE "Earth Day" or "Earth Hour", so why would I have to go through special trouble just to do it when the rest of the world decided to pull its collective head out of its collective ass (and then can't wait to shove it back in for the rest of the year).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
March 29, 2009
Arctic_Fox
This letter was printed in the letters to the editor in my local fishwrap yesterday - clearly by a CFer, methinks:

"I hope if people indulge in the traditional lights-out pastime at Earth Hour they use contraception. Overpopulation is a major cause for environmental degradation. Rather than flicking out the lights, people could do something really effective by being sterilised after their two children per couple and by condemning and shaming excessive breeders."

What a hoot! And here I thought I was the only person in my entire city with such thoughts! That put a big smile on my face yesterday morning as I enjoyed my breakfast (and I'm sure caused much mooing and braying from breeders. If any of them respond tomorrow I shall post it).

Yes! Did any breeders with three or more shitloaves respond to the letter today?

I turn my lights off when I leave for work (or any other reason) and I had my lights ON for the phony, pretentious Earth Hour sponsored by The Beautiful People.

Keep working more hours, CF people! Millions of breeders depend on us.
CFTeen
March 29, 2009
Bah. Earth Hour; Schmerth Hour. Whoever wrote that letter nailed it - turning off the lights for one hour a year, how about give up junk food, adopt kids instead of make more, use the Heel and Toe Express instead of driving everywhere...those are things that will really make a difference.

Incidentally, someone calculated that the people burning candles instead of using modern lighting actually INCREASE their carbon footprint. >.<
Anonymous User
March 29, 2009
I did it. Lights out for an hour, which wound up being two hours! It was so peaceful and relaxing. I had soy candles lit (Earth-friendly) though I will guiltily admit that the Telly was on. The computer was completely shut down, though. winking smiley

I thought about the whole breeder situation though. Those of which already have a brood probably wouldn't do the "lights out" because it might scawe widdle pweshuses. Selfish fucks. But then again, I'm sure that the lights our was the perfect opportunity for the breeders to mate and make even more resource-suckers. Way to go, assholes.
March 29, 2009
but the electricity used is taxed, which gives it to the company, who pays the governments. so using no power means less money..

but then again turning off the power creates a power surge when everyone turns on again and its been known to blow some substations.

all this earth hour is, is a publicity stunt that does nothing

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/03/27/what-are-you-going-to-do-for-earth-hour/#more-6578

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
March 29, 2009
For some odd reason, with all those discussions about CO2 gas, very few tend to mention the fact that we all breathe out the CO2 gas. Only green leaf type plants are able to convert CO2 back into O2 during photosynthesis.

Turning lights off does very little because the generators that produce the electricity are still on and running. They only get shut off for maintenance. Reduced load does reduce some fuel consumption, but not that much. That is if an engine type generator is used. In case of turbine (most bigger ones are), it makes even less difference. Fuel is still burned as usual and in case of reduced load, the excess steam pressure is vented into the atmosphere. Water steam creates clouds which blocks the sun and slows photosynthesis.

I have nothing against cleaning up the environment, but is this really about the environment? I think not. It looks like it's more about carbon trading and money making on carbon trading. Turning off lights with current power generation technology does very little to help the environment and more to start CO2 taxation and fat cat (politicians and such) feeding.

We are better off having fewer people to slow CO2 production, leave native vegetation alone by not developing over it and find renewable sources such as wind and solar energy. However, no one admits it, but solar and wind power are not sufficient enough to supply power to the number of people we have. I have no idea what will happen when we run out of fossil fuels. Will have plenty of breeding and earth talk nonsense meanwhile.
March 29, 2009
techie thats a good site with lots of techie stuff.. i understand about half of it.. its well worth a read.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
March 29, 2009
I wouldn't have minded turning off my lights, but I totally forgot about it. I'm not that broken up about it....I know that by not having kids, I am doing more for the Earth than any of the sanctimonious Breeders.

I have to laugh, I work in a super-conservative environment and a general e-mail reminding everyone about the event went out this week.

The next day, another e-mail was sent out, I'm guessing in response to the backlash, that said something like this:
1. "lights out" is not a political event.
2. one can substitute the words "conservation" or "energy-saving" for "global warming."
3 conservation is always a good idea.

So it appears the original e-mail unleashed a flurry of Fundie backlash. Because they don't believe in global warming or overpopulation and who cares anyway because The Rapture isn't too far away. Fucktards.
dd
March 30, 2009
recycling sucks. who cares if you do earth day every day.
March 30, 2009
oh i am not saying we shouldnt conserve but thats financial, or recycling, but just that empty symbolism. is whats wrong.

we do more in not wasting things because our entire lines ends with us so no kids or grandkids will use electricity..

March 30, 2009
Evidently the Christians have some kind of hyper breeding movement going on. Talk about scary.
March 30, 2009
Same here.

poofy_puff
Srsly. I try to LIVE "Earth Day" or "Earth Hour", so why would I have to go through special trouble just to do it when the rest of the world decided to pull its collective head out of its collective ass (and then can't wait to shove it back in for the rest of the year).
Anonymous User
March 30, 2009
married with rabbits
Rose Red
Evidently the Christians have some kind of hyper breeding movement going on. Talk about scary.

Yes, specifically the Quiverfullers. I stumbled onto a former QF woman's blog and I have a much better understanding of what it all means. Apparently it's way more than simply 'accepting God's blessings.' It's about building an army so that they can outvote the 'enemy'. Back to back pregnancies and even facing uterine ruptures and death are all considered 'casualties' or "dying in the line of duty."

What I don't get is that if they are ready for the rapture, and believe it's about to happen, why they think 'outbreeding the enemy' is going to have any actual impact.

It would be hugely satisfying to discover that a large majority of those future "Christian soldiers" they're breeding end up saying "fuck you" to their batshit crazy parents and go CF.
March 31, 2009
bal-de-vis
married with rabbits
Rose Red

Yes, specifically the Quiverfullers. I stumbled onto a former QF woman's blog and I have a much better understanding of what it all means. Apparently it's way more than simply 'accepting God's blessings.' It's about building an army so that they can outvote the 'enemy'. Back to back pregnancies and even facing uterine ruptures and death are all considered 'casualties' or "dying in the line of duty."

What I don't get is that if they are ready for the rapture, and believe it's about to happen, why they think 'outbreeding the enemy' is going to have any actual impact.

It would be hugely satisfying to discover that a large majority of those future "Christian soldiers" they're breeding end up saying "fuck you" to their batshit crazy parents and go CF.

Yes. Not all kids grow up to accept their parent's religion. Some do rebel and go their own way with another faith or no religion at all. Homeschooled kids are more likely to stay within the "fold" as they know no other way due to isolation from other peoples.

There are a few who will rebel in their own way. About 17 years ago, I read of a homeschooled Catholic young woman who started seeing a man when she got a job after her schooling at home was completed. She was in no way able to deal with a predator who started stalking her when she no longer wanted to date this man any longer.

Long story was she ended up killed by her ex-boyfriend. The parents were oh-so shocked. I felt they were partially responsible as they never prepared their children for adulthood and the world outside of the house. Even in the summer, the girls had to swim in long dresses.

All of this breeding will have a bigger impact besides environmental. If people think unemployment is bad now, wait until these kids all grow up...
March 31, 2009
Muslimah
Yes. Not all kids grow up to accept their parent's religion. Some do rebel and go their own way with another faith or no religion at all. Homeschooled kids are more likely to stay within the "fold" as they know no other way due to isolation from other peoples.

I'm all for people being free to practice their religion, but I draw the line at forcing an innocent third party into it to the point where they know no difference and are unable to make their own choices.
March 31, 2009
AngryReptileKeeper
Muslimah

I'm all for people being free to practice their religion, but I draw the line at forcing an innocent third party into it to the point where they know no difference and are unable to make their own choices.

I hate that, too. I have known folks of different religions (usually the monotheistic faiths) who will make it so clear how their teenage children WILL attend services with them. It is one thing if the kids are too small to be left home alone. How it is attracting one's child to the religion if s/he is forced?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login