Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Goddamn parents

Posted by Cambion 
Goddamn parents
March 30, 2009
Why, why, why do parents seem to insist on dragging their little shit-machines to my school during finals? I never see kids wandering around at any other time except the last week of the semester. Always when the *paying* students are in the school needing computers to do work, breeders have their shriek-nuggets in tow and let them run like idiots through the library or watch Spongebob in the computer labs. Or just ignore the kids while inside or right outside a busy room (like the computer lab that is always open or the animation lab) and let them scream blue murder.

My school is not kiddy-friendly. The eighth floor is filled with dangerous, hot, sharp things for the industrial design people. The ninth floor is filled with dangerous, hot sharp things used by the culinary students. There's always someone at the work stations on the fourth and seventh floors spraying toxic chemicals on their projects. Classes are in session every day on almost every floor, from 8 a.m. until 9:30 p.m. Those little bastards will always disturb someone.

I really wish my school had a "No kids" rule, because no one that young should have any reason to be in the school. And, as detailed before, there's lots of dangerous shit in the school that little kids should not be near. angry smiley If I wasn't leaving next semester, I'd write the dean a nice letter about how they should not allow little kids entry.
Re: Goddamn parents
March 30, 2009
Why are they bringing their kids in?
March 30, 2009
Cambion
If I wasn't leaving next semester, I'd write the dean a nice letter about how they should not allow little kids entry.

Cambion, even if you are only on campus for another month or so before graduation, please consider writing that letter, because I'd bet the dean is unaware of what's going on. A well-written complaint, from a recent graduate of the institution, perhaps cc'd to the college president, will certainly get everyone's attention. Make mention of safety issues and the liability to the school if an unattended child got injured, rather than how annoying it was to listen to screaming little kids in the library (after all, those screaming kids' parents are also paying tuition.) If this isn't the first time kids have been running amok on campus, others have probably felt that it wasn't worth the bother to write a letter, either. Say nothing, and nothing is sure to change. Good luck!
March 30, 2009
One time the day-care here wanted to give itself a self-guided tour of my labs. I said "No" and the lady was all, "But we won't touch anything. We just want to see how the lab works." I almost had to push them out the door.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
March 30, 2009
There is NO reason for brats to be running around a college any time, but especially during finals. I think a well-worded letter to the dean, etc. citing safety concerns would be just the ticket, Cambion.

I hate when teachers or day care personnel drag kids on field trips. I could see the odd outing to a museum or something (in my day that's about the only sort of field trip we got to take...and Goddess help you if you did anything but shut up, pay attention and stay close to the teacher). Most of the time, today, I suspect the field trips are pretty much bullshit and just a way to get out of class--like the little demons NEED any more time out of class, what with rain days, snow days, etc., ad nauseum!
March 30, 2009
I'm SO glad I went to school when I did (early 80s), because this shit was completely unheard of back then.
March 31, 2009
I worked in a locked down facility and one of my coworkers thought it would be a great idea to allow her employees into our offices with their little kids. When I reported that the kids were running around and getting into people's desks and yelling that they were "looking for candy" this person came back with the typical "they're just kiiiids and their parents were watching them!!" Yeah, right...so of course the CF person who was looking out for the safety of the kids themselves as well as our company's liability got demonized sad smiley
DrDanCorelli
March 31, 2009
I never permitted my staff to bring their brats to work because we were in a microbiology laboratory. It would be inappropriate, to use a massive understatement, to have a brat contaminate microbiology samples or to have them lick or touch a sample of Staphylococcus aureus or Mycobacterium tuberculosis. There were also all manner of noxious chemical reagents we used in the lab. As I advanced higher and supervised other research work, I maintained a strict no-brats policy for the same reasons. My last employer had a day care center for brats, and the parents were not permitted to take them any farther than that checkpoint.

Given all of the risks to brats, I am surprised the school's insurance carriers have not come down on them like a ton of bricks. It is a given that one day some brat will be injured and the breeder will sue. The very fundamentals of risk management take a negative tolerance approach, meaning you put stern guidelines in place to prevent this.
Anonymous User
March 31, 2009
Lucky for me that my school is very strict. One of the professors told me that three years ago, they have no child in class policy because they're fed up of students who kept bringing the kids into class and disrupting others so they had established the policy. After it was set up, the breeders still tried bringing the kids in but were turned off by the school officals. Of course they were pissy about it and gave them a hard time about it but the school stayed firm and told them either dump them off to their babysitter or daycare center. grinning smiley
March 31, 2009
I agree that you should write a letter. To the President, Vice President, the Deans, anybody and everybody with any authority.

And while you're at it, I'd get myself a list of the Board of Trustee members and send a copy of the letter to them, as well. You can bet your ass that none of them would be too happy to read that brats are on campus running amok, and heads would roll.

That is the ABSOLUTE LAST thing that any college President, Vice President, etc., wants, is for the Trustees to hear anything on their precious campus is less than perfect. Most times, the Board of Trustees is made up of wealthy Philanthropists who give a lot of money to the college to have things done a certain way.
March 31, 2009
do it after you passed.. once you are gone.. then send it..

focus on the "poor ickle children".. it gets more ear time.. if you say what would happen to those poor kids.. make them suffering a big bad thing.

its sad how the world works, but if you know the rules you can pretty much beat them at their own game.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
March 31, 2009
I suppose I could also include something about the kids possibly damaging the computers. I saw one kid - a toddler, I think - banging away on a keyboard once like it was a drum. It's bad enough when moron students decide to surf Myspace during busy times on school computers, but someone's little bastard kid isn't even a paying student. Not to mention the gallery, which has all manner of student and faculty work...I don't think students or instructors would be too happy to find their work had been drooled on or fondled by someone's shit-encrusted little fuckstain.

Heh...maybe I will write the dean, and after I graduate. Thankfully, no one has brought their kid to class, but it's just a bad when someone lets their kid hog up student resources in the labs.
March 31, 2009
say they could get the cables and have it fall on them.. or small fingers in fans etc etc..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login