Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about the old rant board on Turtle's site

Posted by LCFM 
I used to rant and read rants quite a bit on Turtle's web site. I got away from it for a while for some reason, and then decided to take a look at his site again and it was no longer there. How long has it been gone? It seemed so popular, I'm surprised it disappeared. I'm really thankful this board is here now. There are maybe 1-2 people I can sometimes rant to and get things off my chest about CF issues, and even they get a little defensive about it sometimes.
Re: Question about the old rant board on Turtle's site
May 30, 2006
From what Mr. Turtle posted when he took the site offline, he said he was tired of the "negativity" of the CF board. I don't know how being childfree is a negative thing? I did feel a little sad when the Rant Page and his discussion board vanished. I think it is hard for a lot of people to remain strong as a childfree person. It is probably easier to cave in to society even if a person decides not to breed but to become "breeder pleasers". I do appreciate that he did provide a forum for us and helped launch the CF platform. I think he was even a guest on a talk show and news show. Wherever he is, I hope he is okay.
Eh, well. I remember he could really tell off a breeder. LOL! I just did a search after finally remembering the name of his main web site (The Weightless Dog) and found that it was still up and going, just sans the childfree part.
It's been gone since December 2004. He had left some of the other linkds up for another year or so (like Childfree Places) but even that is gone now too.
india_darshan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From what Mr. Turtle posted when he took the site
> offline, he said he was tired of the "negativity"
> of the CF board. I don't know how being childfree
> is a negative thing?

It wasn't the childfree thing that was negative but a few of the more active posters were borderline trolls and would post ridiculous rants that consisted of "OMG I was at the store and a kid was across the store and it glanced at me!!"

I have a feeling Turtle was sick of these kinds of posts since the idea behind that rant site, and I'm sure this one, is for people to blow off steam in a supportive environment. Not for people to make it their life for all the wrong reasons.
I've heard so much about the old site. It's too bad there are no archives. This is one of the very few places where you can let it all hang out and not worry about getting flamed etc. I also like how no one flames each other on this board. I hate that.
May 30, 2006
I used to have a board for AA/NA members, Lactrodectra. I also cancelled it due to trolls so I can now understand where Turtle was coming from. I have stopped posting on boards where there are these kind of troublemakers because this atmosphere does ruin it for all. Same goes for the flaming. I hate that, too!
May 30, 2006
i co run a board, and we have no real trolls, a few that post adverts etc.. but its pretty quiet. which is good.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Now that I think about it, I guess I can understand about some posters on his site being a bit over the top about it. Like the ones who said something akin to "I went to the store and there were kids there". I do actually like certain children - the ones that are well behaved, polite, and aren't allowed to run wild and scream like they're being flayed all the live-long day. Also, they must be respectful toward animals. I've read things about kids (and adults, of course) mistreating animals. First it makes me cry, and then it makes want to find them and make their lives a living hell. Also, the things that upset me the most are the entitlement mindsent of parents, kids that are allowed to run rampant in other people's yards and destroy property without any discipline whatsoever, parents who let their kids do whatthehellever because any discipline would "thwart the kids' creatitivity", and that sort of thing. The things we all rant about, basically. Nothing that would be considered over the top, I don't believe.
May 30, 2006
some people take ranting a little too seriously, or too far, i rant a lot, it stops me from killing the kids when i am out, but its not menat to be 100% serious on here. its a stress release for me.

turtle closed it down, because there was too much insider sniping, cf sniping at other cf's.. people taking the anti kids too far..and thinking its serious

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
I do love to rant amongst like-minded people. I gets a lot off my chest and keeps me sane(r).

-----

"If a child shows himself to be incorrigible, he should be decently and quietly beheaded at the age of twelve, lest he grow to maturity marry, and perpetuate his kind." ~ Don Marquis
Here's one link: http://www.google.com/search?q=+site:www.weightlessdog.com+BRATS!+rant&hl=en&lr=&filter=0
Here's another: http://www.google.com/search?q=site:fred.net+rant&hl=en&lr=&filter=0
One more: site:fred.net 44181
It's weird that so few are cached. At first, you could see all of them, but now most are gone. Oh well...
May 31, 2006
Testing 123

lab mom
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.