> When I first came to the Orlando area, there was a
> lot of untouched land. Now, that is
> gone...gone...gone as the land was cleared aka
> with the "clearing fires" to build more of those
> pre-fab subdivisions, schools, gated communities,
> and....whoopee...more malls. I always felt so sad
> when I would see more wooded areas being burned
> away to get ready for construction. In my complex,
> I have recently seen more than a few egrets.
> Beautiful birds! Their homes have been destroyed
> by rampant development. I often wonder how many of
> these lovely birds get run over by idiotic drivers
> or tormented by horrible sprogs.

It's the same thing here on the Texas gulf coast. There are so many beautiful egrets, pelicans, herons, roseate spoonbills and other water birds, but they are doing so much construction and development around here that I fear for their survival. The natives here just take the birds for granted, because they're used to them. They don't know how lucky they are to have them!

It's a sick world we live in when a McMansion development with a faux-nature name like "Pelican Pointe" is more important than the land and birds.
Re: 1567 um, global cycles?
June 22, 2006
its 500 million, and they produce all thats needed for everyone else. and you have a good quality of life.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
June 22, 2006
'WELCOME TO EARTH-MAXIMUM CAPACITY 500 MILLION'

I wonder at what time in history we DID have 500 mill. (If I find it, I'll post it).

And if we were ever to get back to that amount, EVERY person living would have to think like CF's.

Paradise!!!
Anonymous User
June 22, 2006
I answered my own question...roughly 1500-1650 A.D.

http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/worldhis.html

June 22, 2006
the maximum is a hell of a lot more than there is now think its someyhing like 30 billion but a lot of those would be starving. but 500 million gives the maximum of balance within the eco-system and quality of life, and it would contribute to biodiversity.

http://www.equalearth.org/povertyoverpopulation.htm

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Nour
June 23, 2006
I recently overheard someone in a hotel say to someone else:
"Individuals are now investing in blah, blah, blah, not just companies. Individuals who are worth $100 million are putting little chunks of their money in this investment."

If someone has $100 million, isn't that enough? No! He's putting his money into more investment vehicles to make even more money. I'd say, "You're done, pal!"

We have too many people here and a lot of 'em have far more than they need. Since we don't want to share the spoils, we are screwed. People are going to have to experience hardship on a very large scale for any change to occur. And by that time, it likely will be too late. We all knew the world was going to end, just not so soon. Just waiting for Shiva.

I imagine the world one day looking a lot like "Road Warrior" (and the knockoff of that movie, IMO, "Waterworld") People hoarding fuel and fighting like wild dogs over it, or possibly like Stephen King's "The Stand"," in which a virus wipes out huge numbers of people.

Stephen Hawking wrote that humans would be long gone before the sun turns into a red giant and burns everything up on Earth in five billion years. I wonder how he sees the end of humankind ...
sprogless
June 23, 2006
100 million bucks isn't enough? Jesus Christ! I think the big killer of the human race will be greed. We're gonna consume ourselves to death...
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.