Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1589 Paid Leave

Posted by CFScorpio 
CFScorpio
1589 Paid Leave
June 23, 2006
Regarding how today's parents have all this paid leave stuff handed to them: I had a co-worker at my last job who was in her 50s. She had a grown son and had worked a full-time job her whole adult life. It used to piss her off to no end when we'd get these company emails about "balancing family time" and "helping families" benefits, etc. She used to say, "Where was all this stuff when I was working and raising my son? Nobody did anything for me or gave me any special treatment!"

Is parenting and working that much harder today than it was for today's empty nesters? I doubt it.
Re: 1589 Paid Leave
June 23, 2006
No, they just like to wail around with a big cross on their backs. My parents both worked and never once did I hear them complain about needing all kinds of extras. I swear the human race gets greedier with every generation.
Anonymous User
June 23, 2006
I live in Massachusetts, and this chaps my ass to no end. What I wanna know is *where the fuck is OUR paid leave?*

This is especially relevant now, because Catdaddy was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure. He's had to take a lot of time off from work for various doctor/hospital appointments. And he's als had a few bad days where he just felt too sick to go to work at all.

So far, he has not used up all of his allotted paid sick/vacation time. But what if he eventually does? As India said in her orignal rant, we'd be screwed.

If they want to have this paid leave thing, it should be for ALL. Not just for parunts.

Will the government NEVER stop finding new ways to pick our pockets?
CFBoston
June 23, 2006
Studying law, the current news in MA is that under this policy, all workers in MA will be taxed a minimum of $104 annually - through a $2 weekly payroll deduction. Small business will suffer most and most likely move out of state, due to their employees being absent for such extended periods. This is from a Boston Globe article dated 4/23/06:

"The legislation drew a cautious reaction from businesses and labor groups, which may oppose the proposed employee premiums, and could face a tough fight in the House. The premium amount has not yet been determined, but Travaglini aides said it would likely be between $1.50 and $2.50 a week.

Under the bill, all employees would be required to pay into the fund, regardless of whether they believe they would ever take advantage of the benefits."

sprogless
June 23, 2006
A question (if anyone knows):
If everyone has to pay into this fund, is everyone eligible to use it? Or, is it only for child- related leave?
Catmommy, I'm sorry to hear about Catdaddy's illness. I really hope he's feeling better soon.
CFBoston
June 23, 2006
It's my understanding that this would only be utilized to care for a newborn or a sick relative. However, I've got the impression that this was geared for newborns. 12 weeks annually - 100% of pay up to $750. Can you imagine an employee being gone though for 12 weeks every year? And the employer legally obligated to hold the position?
June 23, 2006
It's even worse here (Canada) - they get a whole YEAR off! And then they either decide they're not coming back to work, or they're already knocked up with their next sprog when they do.

And so sorry about Catdaddy, Catmommy. Best of luck to you both. Do you have disability insurance?
June 24, 2006
Catmommy, good thoughts are going your way. {{HUGS}} I dealt with an ill spouse, went down to one income for awhile, screwed up my credit helping him, and the beat goes on. I will not post the story again and bore everyone. Just know I am rooting for your Catdaddy!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.