Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1593 Tragedies involving kids

Posted by Sherz 
Sherz
1593 Tragedies involving kids
June 25, 2006
While it is certainly horrible when an illness, injury, or death happens to anyone, I think it is far more devistating when an adult is the victim. When a mother, father, spouse or significant other is hurt, sick or dies it affects a lot more people in a different way than when it happens to a child. Adults are caregivers, wage earners, and support systems. Children are not. Not that family doesn't have a deep lasting bond with their children, they just don't need them as much as they do the adults in their lives.

Anonymous User
Re: 1593 Tragedies involving kids
June 25, 2006
And you know what else I don't get? When people in the neighborhood raise money for the family of the deceased sprog.

I can see raising money for a funeral, if the family truly is poor. But in many cases, I've heard stories where they've set up foundations in honor of the dead sprog (to benefit the family), and the family was financially better off with the kid being dead!

Fallen police, firefighters, and soldiers' families often do not get as much as those of dead sprogs! WTF is wrong with this picture?

Also, why do they have to name laws after dead sprogs? Here in Massachusetts we have "Melanie's Law", which was named for a kid who was killed by a drunk driver. What about all of the ADULTS who've been killed by drunk drivers? And then there is "Megan's Law", which has to do with sexual abuse. I guess all adults who've been raped can fuck off and die. Only sprogs being raped is cause for worry.

I'm certainly not saying that sprogs should be raped, killed by drunk drivers, or whatever, but that such things are tragic no matter WHAT the age of the victims.
In Texas an Amber Alert is broadcast on radio and television stations whenever a child is reported missing. Of course, the police find the child safe and sound a few hours later and return it to a tearful moo who claims that she "just looked away for a second" and the child was gone. A lot of people, including parents, have criticized the Amber Alert because there are too many false alarms due to parents not supervising their children and it diverts police attention from real crimes.
Anonymous User
June 25, 2006
Speaking of Amber Alerts...I was at the post office yesterday, and they had a poster picturing all of the new stamps coming out. One of them was honoring the AMBER ALERT.

Jeebus. The USPS can put this out, but I can't get the Spay/Neuter kitten and puppy stamps any more?

Grrrrrr......
GreenGrass
June 25, 2006
I think the Amber Alert stamp is tacky as hell. It's really disturbing. Why the hell did they make a stamp for that and not, say, Gay Pride month? (which is this month) It would be a much more pleasant stamp!
June 25, 2006
i remember a few amber alerts where the kids were discovered at a neighbours house, and one the kid was upstairs in their own house. we dont have anything like amber alerts in the Uk,

we had one kid that vanished, from his home, and the police came and helicopters, he was discovered in the house next door, i was empty and he had a nap. it seems that the slightest vanishing act causes yet another amber alert,

http://www.knoxstudio.com/shns/story.cfm?pk=MISSING-AMBER-07-05-05&cat=AN

Twelve-year-old Larry Anthony Fountain just happened to leave his backpack on a South Carolina school playground, triggering a statewide Amber Alert that falsely reported his kidnapping, Police last year issued at least 48 Amber Alerts for children who had not actually been kidnapped, often defying federal and state guidelines on how the system should be used, according to Scripps Howard's study.

Police also violated federal and state guidelines by issuing dozens of vague alerts with little information upon which the public can act. The study found that 23 alerts were issued last year even though police didn't know the name of the child who supposedly had been abducted. Twenty-five alerts were issued without complete details about the suspect or a description of the vehicle used in the abduction

In the 48 cases in which Amber Alerts were issued for children whom police later determined were not kidnapped, authorities were often forced to retract the bulletins or to say the youths were "recovered" after misunderstandings among family members had been sorted out. (In at least two cases, the alerts were canceled after police found the children were in the company of their grandparents.)

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
June 25, 2006
but have you noticed on these tragedies, that they mention women more than men, men are people, women are females or mothers..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
June 26, 2006
You can thank President Bush for the stupid Amber Alert. I kid you not.

lab mom
June 26, 2006
What the hell am I supposed to do when they call an Amber alert anyway? Storm out of my house with a pitchfork and torch to try to hunt down the kidnapper? Get my gun and jump in the pick-up with the rest of the posse? Lock the doors and seal the windows because there's obviously a dangerous person on the loose out to victimise me as well? Troll the streets looking for a kid who looks kidnapped? It's a stupid waste of resources, and benefits no one.

Anonymous User
June 26, 2006
Feh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What the hell am I supposed to do when they call
> an Amber alert anyway? Storm out of my house with
> a pitchfork and torch to try to hunt down the
> kidnapper? Get my gun and jump in the pick-up
> with the rest of the posse? Lock the doors and
> seal the windows because there's obviously a
> dangerous person on the loose out to victimise me
> as well? Troll the streets looking for a kid who
> looks kidnapped? It's a stupid waste of
> resources, and benefits no one.
>
Also...I bet that if one of my cats got out, no one would help me look for it. So why shoulkd I help search for some stupid brat, who likely took off with someone s/he *met* on MySpace?

Fuck that shit. And they put it on a postage stamp. Sad.
June 26, 2006
That's so funny, I recently said the exact same thing in another thread. I hate that emphasis on the pwecious kyyyyds so much.
Anonymous User
June 27, 2006
Feh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What the hell am I supposed to do when they call
> an Amber alert anyway? Storm out of my house with
> a pitchfork and torch to try to hunt down the
> kidnapper? Get my gun and jump in the pick-up
> with the rest of the posse? Lock the doors and
> seal the windows because there's obviously a
> dangerous person on the loose out to victimise me
> as well? Troll the streets looking for a kid who
> looks kidnapped? It's a stupid waste of
> resources, and benefits no one.
>
> Ah Feh you are the bee's knees kid!! Pitchfork and torch tee-hee. You can use the pitchfork to skewer the little shit when you find it.
>

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.