Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

#1600 - Yay Linda Hirshman!

Posted by GreenGrass 
GreenGrass
#1600 - Yay Linda Hirshman!
June 26, 2006
I applaud Linda Hirshman for her boldness and confrontational stance against today's so-called "feminists" who think that being able to choose to stay at home and sprog and be a housewhore is some how empowering. Those mommy bloggers really chap my ass. My ire might be due to the fact that I had a job interview today, and was asked by the interviewer if I have any kids. Excuse me, "babies". I said, "No, it's just me, my husband, and our cat." Then she went on to say that she wasn't being discriminatory, that there are lots of "mommies" in the team I was being interviewed for. Mind you, I work in a health profession that is 90% female and quite breeder-brained. Then she went on to say that husbands can be needy like children too, ha ha. WTF?? Hello, I am an educated professional - what is this bullshit? I am a fully grown woman trying to get a professional job. Not some housewhore looking for "pin money" because hubby won't increase my allowance. Plus, would a man be asked such stupid, probing personal questions? NO, it would be assumed that he would do the job regardless of family situations. I can only assume it is because people in the job that I was interviewing have been getting preggers after being in the job and then quit. Mind you, this is a job that is done almost completely from home, and takes only about 15 hours per week. What a load of shit. Sorry but I can just really relate to that article and wish I could send Linda a thank you card for her boldness to say what really needs to be said.
Re: #1600 - Yay Linda Hirshman!
June 26, 2006
GreenGrass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had a job interview today, and was asked by the
> interviewer if I have any kids. Excuse me, "babies".

That's illegal. They can't ask anything about marital/parental status.
June 27, 2006
I am glad that the lady stood up to the housewh*res. There is nothing fulfilling about housework or taking care of Bay-bee. That is why "domestic help" are paid next-to-nothing. If this "job" was actually worth something, moos would gladly pay childcare workers a living wage.

No matter how the SAHMoos try to say they are CFOs for balancing a checkbook, gourmet cooks for preparing a simple meal, or next to being a nurse because they take the sprogs' temperature, these women are still nothing more than housewives. Any idiot can stay at home and do this work.

Yeah, it IS illegal to ask about marital or parental status on a job interview. I have been asked this question many times. I can almost sympathize with the interviewer after they spend the $$$ to train and hire someone only for her to quit because of how it is too much work and care for Bay-Beigh.
CF VTer
June 27, 2006
I thought of a great way to establish someone's CF status in a job interview. Just have lots of sprog pictures in your office when you interview the person. If the person completely ignores the pictures, then you might have a keeper. smiling smiley

Anonymous User
June 27, 2006
Goooo Linda!!! Maybe we'll see more of this now that she has broken ground with it.
Anonymous User
June 27, 2006
Linda Hirshman is my hero!

GreenGrass, that interviewer was way out of line. Sounds like she made a huge ASSumption.

I work in the health profession too and yes, it's mostly filled with cuntastic breeder-brains who can be very unprofessional. I've had many nasty bitchy comments made at & about me from them & they're the most brutal people to work with as far as I'm concerned.

I went to one interview for a chiro where I had to fill out a form before the interview with questions like: "Am I satisfied with my home & married life", "how many children do I have" and "how do I feel about abortion." I was going to walk out but decided to stay for curiosity's sake.

It got worse when these weirdos started talking about how they prayed to the Creator and I was the answer to their prayers. They only wanted an employee who fit their mold. Turns out they've been looking for someone for 7 years!

Anonymous User
June 27, 2006
lv67: Unbelieveable!! I'm glad you stuck around to see what the hey was going on. What did you say to them? Do tell!!
Anonymous User
June 27, 2006
This was a married man & woman chiro team. Other odd things happened too- like when they were very curious about what nationality my last name was. I do get asked this since my last name is unusual, but with the list of questions I mentioned before, this seemed like a probing.

During the interview, I found out they were chiro/homeopaths & were about 75% against traditional medicine. (traditional anything-I thought) I asked them why they wanted to know all this info and they said they only wanted someone who "thinks like them" for an employee. I felt like I was being adopted. They were also looking for their prize employee for 7 years and think I am the one! (gasp!)

After the interview, I told them my husband was picking me up. So the guy walked me all the way into the lot. I thought ok-it's dark, he's being courteous. But this guy actually looked in at my car & at my husband inside. I felt he was further checking my life out with that. When we drove off, even my husband asked me, "what was up with that weirdo?"

They offered me the job the next day & said they prayed all night that I'd accept it. They even offered to help me loose weight homeopathicly (???)

Well, I told the dynamic duo that I did not feel comfortable taking it nor did they have the right to ask me those kinds of questions. They were all hurt & distraught. I wish I'd have told them to go pray that nobody sues them for violating some discrimination law.
Anonymous User
June 27, 2006
lv67 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>I felt like I was being adopted.

Lol

> Well, I told the dynamic duo that I did not feel
> comfortable taking it nor did they have the right
> to ask me those kinds of questions. They were all
> hurt & distraught. I wish I'd have told them to go
> pray that nobody sues them for violating some
> discrimination law.

Eww. They sound especially creepy. And their questionnaire is just begging for a lawsuit. It's just a matter of time.

I'm glad Linda Hirshman finally said it. I'm tired of seeing SAHMoos put on a pedestal. Honestly, I don't care if someone chooses not to work. I actually know of a couple of CFers who stay at home. I just don't get why they're better than those of us who work (according to the government and the media).
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.