Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another reason to be childfree...

Posted by india_darshan 
Another reason to be childfree...
June 29, 2006
I turned down a security post in the downtown area at these "condos". The place was dangerous and the hours did not work -- overnight at 43 hours a week. After paying a debt, I no longer have to work such long hours or take jobs that are not good for me. I have the luxury to be a little more choosy, thank the gods. Being childfree also helps. As a CF person, I can be picky about where I work since I do not have "mouths to feed" at home.

The kindly site supervisor at the condo high-rise was very nice. I felt sad for her because she told me that she HAS to work that site to get the supervisor salary because she has a son in his last year of college that requires her salary. I would bet that the son is a good person because I knew immediately that this lady was a wonderful person. But...I did feel sadness knowing this good woman has to endure such long hours and conditions just for pay due to expenses for a child's college.
I'm glad you have some flexibility, India. I don't think I could easily work a night shift. I don't know that I could sleep much during the day. I hope you find just the right work situation. I need to start job hunting, too. sad smiley
Re: Another reason to be childfree...
June 30, 2006
Sherz, that schedule was H-LL at that condo community! It was worse than what the account manager had originally told me. I also felt as if this jerk tried to press me to take the position because I kept REMINDING him of my availability. It is not as if I cried "poormouth" and boo-hooed :bawl for just any post out of desperation!

I am just so grateful that I can say "no" because I don't have a brat or brats to support. I really felt for the site supervisor who is only doing this awful site because of paying for her son's last year of school. The lady has a beautiful spirit but it stuck working such an awful site because of having a child.

Get this...the client (the woman who runs the condo office) made a nasty comment. I was standing out in the lobby after the site supervisor and I spoke. Right now, the lady is mad at the account manager which she has a right and nothing new because of how this guys just views guards as "bodies". But...I overheard her make the comment of how I seemed like a "nice young woman" but not fit for a security job. That was fine by me.

Funny thing is that I am older than the lady in that office. People do say I look younger than my 42 years. I have a good reputation in the security business. However, the office lady was right how this was not the right post for me. If I could work less hours and not all overnights, I would have possibly considered it since the pay was better than most sites. Sherz, it IS hard to sleep during the day which was the main reason I said "no"... sleeping
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.