Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

#1622 - Bingoed by physician

Posted by Anonymous User 
I once asked my gyno "Is it a risk to my health if I take my bc pills for three months straight and then take a month off instead of taking a week off every month?" She looked at me blankly and asked why would I want to do that. I explained that I only wanted to have a menstrual period 4 times each year instead of 12, unless there was a health risk involved. She looked at me blankly again, and asked "Why would you want to do that?" I actually had to explain that, because I am not trying to conceive a child at the moment, it seems unnecessary to endure 12 menstrual periods. I have gotten depo provera shots for the past 4 years, and they completely eliminate the monthly menstrual period. Sorry if that's TMI, but when I see advertisements for Pamprin, tampons and Midol, I just think: Why are so many women still suffering each month? It's like doctors purposely keep women in the dark about things like this. I think the very idea that a women would choose not to breed (and can make that choice) really scares some people, even doctors who are supposed to care about women's health. But think about it, most people get a flu shot each year so that they won't have to suffer from the flu, and flu shots are widely advertised and available.
Denise
Re: #1622 - Bingoed by physician
July 14, 2006
I know wot you mean, too, Sprogless. I wanted Marena, and they said it was only for moos. I don't know if I believe that mess about it not fitting on a CF woman. angry flipping off to breed-crazy doctors!!!

Grace, there are Seasonale pills that are supposed to let you have a period only 4 times a year. I wonder why they didn't tell you that. Oh, wait, I know why angry smiley
July 14, 2006
Dr. Dan, I was fortunate to have a liberal ob-gyn who had no trouble doing my tubal...but I have heard horror stories from other women. Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of liberal doctors around. I worked for an answering service years ago. Most of the docs I dealt with were nasty, foul-mouthed, right-wing jerks who felt they had the right to verbally abuse the answering service operators and the hospital nurses. I wish more MDs were like you.
As you guys already know, Mirena isn't just for moos! That is a load of bullshit! Have any doctors told you guys that IUDs don't "fit" in CF women? Bullshit. IUDs carry risk like anything else. There is a very, very, very low risk of getting pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) from an IUD. And there's a small risk that PID can lead to sterility. (I say bring it on!) Anyway, they recommend that IUDs be for women who have at least one child, because OMG, what if you become sterile and don't have any kkyyydzz yet??!!!
Denise
July 15, 2006
I KNEW that was shit, Nour. It was wot I was told by Dr.s whom I had asked for Mirena. Their policys were for moos only. WHY can't people get it through their goddamned THICK teakwood lined skulls that SOME WOMEN DON'T WANT TO BREED!!! I say bring on the sterility, too!!!

None of these asshats realise that shitting out a brat is just as damned permanent as a tubal, or sterility. They never tell wanna-moos that they are doing something soooooooooo permanent without enough thought. hitting over the head with a hammer to them!
July 15, 2006
Denise, I truly believe that medicine is very conservative when it comes to female patients. It is harder for a woman to find a tubal-friendly doctor than for a man to find a doc re: vasectomies. Most ob-gyns will not do ANYTHING for a patient who wants to avoid those babies. Even if a woman is diagnosed with a potentially fatal illness, the focus is on her fertility rather than saving her life. Dr Dan seems to be more progressive but I have heard how most doctors are so anti-childfree. I would love to be proven wrong...
DrDanCorelli
July 15, 2006
In terms of sterilization procedures, many states have laws requiring spousal notification, permission or even a waiting period prior to the physical consent to the procedure and the actual surgery itself. You can thank breeder-pandering state legislatures for that.
July 16, 2006
Yes, those f*cked up docs want women to do nothing but shell out the babies. If they think otherwise, the docs turn their heads...

lab mom
July 16, 2006
i do think in a loving relationship you should talk about it, but it should be a personal decision not a legal one.. i am all for my faust to get a tubal (her decision i hasten to add), and i will get a v after she is happy.. my decision, she said i dont need too, if i didnt want

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
July 16, 2006
Dr. Dan, I am glad you are on this site so I can get over my prejudices of doctors being jerks. People are people regardless of where they are from or what they do for pay. I work security. God knows there are many wanna-be cops, Barney Fifes, lazy a$$ses, etc. I also worked in call centers doing customer service and tech support. I can tell you stories about those places. I know a lot of the laws re: tubals are because of bints getting them done and then whining & filing suit years later claiming they were never told the procedure was permanent...I mean like, really...and requiring insurance companies to pay $$$$$$'s for a reversal so that squirming bay-beigh can be born.
sprogless
July 16, 2006
DH had a vasectomy when he was 25. They never bingo'd him at all. The only "counseling" he recieved was being asked if he was aware that this was permanent. That's it.

I've been to 7 doctors, and none of them would even listen to what I was saying. They kept pushing the pill, and those made my legs ache terribly. When I told one of the docs (#1) that my legs hurt, she said I needed to stretch more often. At the time, I was running about three miles per day. I stopped those about four years ago, and I still have some pain from time to time. I can no longer go running, either. Too painful.

I am so tired of "band- aid" birth control. I figure I'm taking my chances, even though DH is snipped. Why is it so easy for a man, and damned near impossible for a woman? The best answer I've been able to get out of the docs is that I'll regret it. How do they know? They don't know me at all. Sometimes I wish I was a man, just so I wouldn't have to deal with this, anymore.
July 16, 2006
Women are always told that they want those baybees and will regret the tubal. The pitiful thing is that there are many women who DO claim they have regrets and now want those squalling infants because that new husband is demanding a chy-uhld...there goes my bad-spelling-on-purpose!

Sprogless, the problem is that you are taking chances even though your husband is snipped. Women are victims of sexual attacks every day. Vasectomies seem to fail -- from what I have heard...Dr. Dan correct me if I am wrong -- more than tubals. I have always been a person who wants total control over my body so it would not matter if the man in my life had a V.

Men rarely regret a vasectomy unless he had been a lapsed Catholic but he and Wifey decided that taking chances when having sex is the Man in the Sky's will. Oh...don't get me started...I have been really cranky lately. tongue sticking out smiley
July 16, 2006
i am a lapsed catholic, but i wouldnt regret it.. there is a slim chance, its tiny, i read up on the stuff, faust wants a complete slash and burn, would give her the peace of mind. but then i am a weird lad.. wink

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
July 16, 2006
You are not a weird lad, Mercurior, but pretty d*mn cool!:smoke
July 16, 2006
awww i am weird, i wanna be weird wink.. i was taught to think, rather than beleive.. by my dad..

Anonymous User
July 18, 2006
Denise--

I know you can get a Mirena if you haven't had children, because I have one! The company that makes Mirena "strongly suggests" it should only be used for women who have had a child. When my PA suggested it, she said she had one herself and she doesn't have any kids! I love her!!! She told me the insertion would hurt more because my cervix hasn't been stretched to oblivion, but who cares? I would rather have a little pain for the device going in, than a baby coming out! Blech! Anyway, you just need to find a groovy feminist doc. They're out there. Good luck smiling smiley
July 18, 2006
I'm on the pill, but I figure it's a hell alot better than nothing. Just my h.o.p.

lab mom
July 19, 2006
there are people who have problems with the pill, it can cause pain, and other problems.. so some cant take it. its the progesterone ones, rather than the oestrogen ones i beleive or the other way around.. that can cause the problems

Anonymous User
July 19, 2006
DrDanCorelli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In terms of sterilization procedures, many states
> have laws requiring spousal notification,
> permission or even a waiting period prior to the
> physical consent to the procedure and the actual
> surgery itself. You can thank breeder-pandering
> state legislatures for that.

Sv66 & I didn't have a waiting period, but I did have to sign a consent form. I'm in Illinois. I was suprised that's all that was needed, figuring how Illinois has the highest malpractice insurance rates & largest number of lawsuits.
Anonymous User
July 19, 2006
mercurior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> there are people who have problems with the pill,
> it can cause pain, and other problems.. so some
> cant take it. its the progesterone ones, rather
> than the oestrogen ones i beleive or the other way
> around.. that can cause the problems

I'm one of those. When I started taking BC pills, they messed me up so much hormonally that I was ready for a straight jacket. Also there's the higher risk of blood clotting, etc.
>
>
July 19, 2006
Have you tried the low dose ones?

It boils my water that docs don't want to give females a tubal, but are more than willing to give a man a vestectomy. Once when I was in college, I had a professor who had 3 boys, got herself fixed, than was secretly wishing for a girl. Why don't those stupid bents just adopt??!? Thanks to stupid bents like her, it makes it double as hard for women to get sterilized. For those of us who are responsible and like taking charge of our birth control, and bodies.

lab mom
July 19, 2006
i think the lower dose ones, have a greater chance of failing.. i could be wrong.. (as a male i generally dont know this, but i am a research monster wink.)

July 20, 2006
I recommend the Nuvaring, if you aren't down with a surgical procedure, and worry about missing pills or whatever. The low does birth control pills are just as effective as the higher dose ones, but your fertility can actually be increased if you have a hard time remembering to take any birth control pills consistantly. The Nuvaring is a device that you insert and leave in for 3 weeks. I haven't had any problems with it, and my pms is actually a bit better, less cramping and crabbing.
Rapunzel111
September 23, 2006
Hi RESPONSIBLE ADULT.I don't know who accepts Tri-Care Insurance but I will tell you that if you want a tubal,go through the national Organization for Women (NOW).Look them up on the Web.There are clinics run by them in many states.Yes,they do accept insurance,so ask them about it,and yes,they do question your decision somewhat,but it is a lot easier than trying to convince a doctor to even give you an IUD.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.