July 06, 2006
mercurior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> in Quebec not only is it illegal to not have a
> name, but a committee exists to check the names
> that are given to children. This committee has the
> power to refuse to allow you to name the child as
> you chose if it deems that name inappropriate

That is absolutely true. A few years ago, some nutjobs wanted to name their baybee "Spatula". I kid you not! Thankfully, they were denied.
Re: Name Game
July 07, 2006
so its not just those crazy mexicans, its more common than people think, only america and the UK for the most part have total freedom of kr8tive names..

there is creative, and just plain insane names.. its the insane ones that need to be stopped, all the parents need to do is think o the children, dear god my surname williams, gone changed to willy bum.. and thats a normal name, what will happen to the other never names.. they are setting their kids up for a lifetime of bullying

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Grace
July 07, 2006
Giving your child a name that other people cannot pronounce or spell is dumb not creative. Can you imagine being named Quartneigh Smith and constantly having to spell your first name or correct the spelling for people? I have an uncommon surname, and that is often mispronounced or misspelled. Having to correct people makes me feel annoyed not special.
Denise
July 08, 2006
I personally like some of the unusual names, but not the ones spelled so strangely they cannot be prounounced correctly.
July 08, 2006
exactly, unusual yes, but weird ones, no.. like romeo beckham, no kid on earth will leave them alone, romeo romeo where for art thou romeo.. oh your there.. and so on, parents need to think about the effect on the kids, even if the middle name is unusual with a regular name in front. that would be fine, they could use it if they want, but not if they dont.. or the other way around.. every kid should have at least one normal name.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Sherz
July 08, 2006
I can't stand names that don't make sense phonetically when pronounced. I had a parent who was going to kick my ass once because I kept pronouncing her sprogg's name incorrectly. It was spelled Shawyntealia. I pronounced it Sha-wyn-teal-ee-ah, but big old welfare moo pronounced it Shawnteeya. Some people are too f*cking stupid to be on this earth. God her kid was dumb, too.
BillyC
July 08, 2006
I have cow-irker who named her daughter Keaseagh (pronounced Kay-see) who regularly bitched at people who mispronounced her kr8tv spelling. She kept sounding it out for people, who would ask why she just didn't spell the brat's name Casey. She would give them some half-assed explanation that she wanted her brats to be unique. One of the sharp-tongued guys in our office told her that it looked like some kind of tropical disease. Of course, cow-irkers other children were Daqhota and Mikayl and Breayn. Behind her back, other co-workers refer to her miserable brats as Shingles, Rot, Diarrhea and Braindead. They are.
July 09, 2006
I notice the welfare moos are the worst about these kree8tivuh names...but the Marin County, CA upper-crust SAHMoos were just as bad. An ex-friend had a god-awful spelling for her daughter's name, Katie. The little girl actually hated the "creative" spelling and insisted on going by "Katie" instead of that atrocious spelling with apostrophies. Of course, Former Friend had her kid when she was 17!
Anonymous User
July 10, 2006
Don't those qrreee8tiiv names dare the person to think, "Oh, gee, [he/she]'s black" in a world where one wants to be treated as an equal?

It's sorta like a recent college grad listing a fraternity membership on a résumé. Alpha Kappa Alpha or Omega Phi Psi compared to Sigma Alpha Mu or Kappa Sigma, for example. (There is a strong, but not 100%, correlation between race and membership here.)
July 10, 2006
I don't care how a person spells their kids name. If they do it kre8tvelllie, it just proves to me they're an uncaring asshole who doesn't really care what folks call their kid as long as it's "come here...I got some candy, wanna ride in my van?" But I'm also the type of asshole who, if I had naming rights to a kid, would probably do something like give it a serial number to prepare it for our distopic, fascist future...or something that sounds like a super villan....Zantalor(pronounced as spelt), eater of worlds. But that's reason #128 why I don't, and shouldn't, have kids.

July 10, 2006
Sherz Wrote:
> I can't stand names that don't make sense
> phonetically when pronounced. I had a parent who
> was going to kick my ass once because I kept
> pronouncing her sprogg's name incorrectly. It was
> spelled Shawyntealia. I pronounced it
> Sha-wyn-teal-ee-ah, but big old welfare moo
> pronounced it Shawnteeya. Some people are too
> f*cking stupid to be on this earth. God her kid
> was dumb, too.

Sherz, I got a lot of the Shwayntealia types when I worked that other call center on the auto loan account. These dumb bints would act so aggrieved when I would have to ask more than once to spell their dumb names. I hate to say it but most of those callers were the ignorant welfare h* women. All of their sprogs were usually also on Social Security Disability. I only knew that when the question of income amount would be asked and these moos would ID each type of payment they got each month.

Sherz
July 10, 2006
I used to work with a black woman who absolutely hated thoses types of names. She called them project names. Her 3 children (who happen to be VERY well behaved) have very traditional names, Mary, Elizabeth, and John. She felt that her children would have more of an advantage with a nonethnic name. I know many places of employment have a human resource department that screens people by their resume and application only. A 'project' name might work against them.
July 11, 2006
Sherz, I also worked with a Black lady who hated those "ethnic" names. She also said monikers of such sounded so ghetto. Her kids also had names like Mary, Nancy, or Thomas. In the Career Builder section of the paper years ago, there as a piece how "project" names hinder a job applicant. Many employers will not even look at a resume with a name like Taneesha or Shaqauyla regardless of the person's experience or abilities.
Anonymous User
July 11, 2006
india_darshan Wrote:
> Many
> employers will not even look at a resume with a
> name like Taneesha or Shaqauyla regardless of the
> person's experience or abilities.

That's similar to what I wrote about earlier re black v. white college fraternities.

Now while that's quite illegal, the rejected applicant would have to show that such a name prevented hiring and nothing else. Employers can make up any reason they want, avoiding damages and getting Loqueesha to fork over the employye's fees and costs.
Denise
July 12, 2006
I may be in the minority here, but I can't stand the names Mary or John. Two of the most freakin' boring names on earth. I don't care for project names, or strangely spelt names, but I don't like extremely boring names, either.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.