Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More of the CEO-type cr*p!

Posted by india_darshan 
sprogless
Re: More of the CEO-type cr*p!
July 07, 2006
I've never been able to understand why anyone would be rude to waitstaff. They're handling people's food, and "something" could happen to it along the way...
Money can buy a lot of things, but class isn't one of them.
Sherz
July 07, 2006
Mercurior- I have trouble with tipping when the tip jar is on the counter of a place that does noting more than ring up your purchase. There are a couple of places at our mall like that. Most of the restaurants we go to are regular places in our town, and the service is usually always good. I did leave a penny for a tip once when I was on vacation, and had a horrible waitress that did nothing but sit at another table talking to her friends. She brought us the wrong meal that we had waited about an hour for, and never refilled our drinks. When we were ordering my friend asked what the special was and she said, "I have no idea." then didn't even offer to check for us. We were in a remote area with no other restaurant choices, or we would have left after that.
July 08, 2006
we never have anything like a tip jar on the counter, i say if they give bad service, then they dont deserve anything at all.. its still part of the entitlement idea, your getting paid for a job, and you expect a tip. i know some people dont get paid much, but it would mean them giving better service, instead of the sullen, gum chewing slack jaw. i reward the good and thats how it should be

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
July 10, 2006
I will always tip, unless the service is completely terrible. Having done time in the 5th circle of hell that is food service, I realize that sometimes it's pretty difficult to keep checking back on tables, especially if it's busy, or....there's a giant family involved, they're always demanding jerks. The folks who bring your food to the table do not make any where close to minimum wage. When I worked I was earning 2.45 an hour while minimum wage was 5.45, because tips would naturally make up the difference according to the powers that be. I had a family of 10 who came in 20 minutes before close with all the special requests in the world who took up 90 minutes of my time with their constant refill requests and order changes while I kissed their asses with a smile. They left me a $1. I actually threw their tip out the door at them while yelling "I've served BUMS who tipped better!" as they left.
The folks who stand at counters, take your food order and then give it to you at the same counter, they make at least minimum wage, and are just hoping that some folks will feel obligated to throw their spare change in the jar.
Anonymous User
July 10, 2006
Within the last week, I went out to my local tavern and forgot my wallet. It was the second time I did that there. The server let me run a tab for my food. I returned the following night for more food and had the same server. I remembered to leave more than double my usual tip for my inconvenience.
July 11, 2006
the problem is the UK, doesnt have a tip culture, everyone, legally gets £5.00 an hour, and if they dont they can take the employer to court. its a national minimum wage, and they dont break it.. tips havent been a british thing, we tip for good service, or if we like the staff, its not essential, no dirty looks, no insults, if someone goes above and beyond then we pay.. even if its just smiling, and being personable, when they are harrassed.. some people would be insulted to be given a tip.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.