Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rants #543 and 544

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Rants #543 and 544
October 19, 2005
Oh, I understand your frustration over the pets issue. I live in the Boston area, and it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to even FIND a rental that will allow that many pets. We have eight cats, and we stay in a rental that we really don't like anymore, only because there is no place else to go right now. We will move only when we can BUY a home.

I have a friend (also CF) who moved to this area last year. She and her hubby have two large dogs, and they found exactly TWO apartments that would accept them. Both had Hugh Jass pet deposits. Having no other options at the time, they chose the less expensive of the two places, and paid the deposit.

The apartment development has a rule about cleaning up after your dogs when they shit, and my friend always complied. But there was this breeder famblee nearby who also had a dog. They let it shit all over the place, and never fucking bothered to clean it up.

Well, now I bet you can guess who got blamed for all of the dog shit that was all over the place! It certainly wasn't the Breedersons!

At least my friend will not have to put up with this much longer...they bought a house and will be closing on it soon.

As for the township calling up...every year, my town sends us a census form, that we MUST fill out, or be removed from the voter registration list. It asks how many cats and dogs we have. I always tell them that we have none. My husband used to live in a town that had an ordinance that limited homes to four cats and/or dogs. He and his ex had 13 cats there at one time, and as far as we know, she still does have all of those cats. They just never told the government about them. And that's why I won't tell any government people how many kitties we have. It's none of their fucking business, anyway.

I also put a fake phone number on the form (usually my old cell #), so they can't call me...my real number is unlisted.
Feh
Re: Rants #543 and 544
October 19, 2005
The area I live in is a little less craptastic for renting with pets, but there are still fees and charges added to the security deposit, rent and oftentimes you won't get your full deposit back becuase they'll take out a carpet cleaning "fee" - even if you cleaned the carpets yourself before you moved. I've also been chared for "de-fleaing" apartments, even though my cats are indoors only, and have never had fleas. Total bullshit. However if you're willing to pony up the money, pretty much any landlord will rent to you, I mean, who's going to turn down at least an extra $600 a year in pet fees?

I hope someday I can figure out the house buying thing so I don't have to deal with this bull any more.
mercurior 1
October 19, 2005
the sooner we all get working on a cf town/island, none of this rubbish with pets, the better, that way we can sod you to all those breeders
PS
October 19, 2005
Here is the other side of this arguement.

I own my own home and have pets. Two cats, two birds and a dog, so I like pets. One of my cats is a cranky old man who refuses to use the litter box appropriatly. This week, out of frustation, I have put him in the basment so that I can try to clean the smell out of my house. Really, if anyone has ideas how to break him of this, I am all ears.

A co-worker of mine comes in regularly with "how my dog destroyed... the couch, the drywall, etc. (and she rents a house)

It is experiences like this that make me hesitate to have pets in my rental house. So far I have had one tennent and right now its vacant. I would prefer to rent to someone with pets over kids, esp since the yard is large and fenced in. I think I'll wing it.. if I get to meet the pet and like him.. I think I will. Better than baby puke on the carpeting I guess.
Feh
October 19, 2005
This is a really good website for cat urine problems. I hope it helps! http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/litter_box_problems.htm

And here's a good website for cleaning up cat urine.
http://www.baneclene.com/articles/pet-odors.html

My cat had some problems with urinating outside the cat box, I tried everything I could, but she only stopped after I moved to a much larger apartment. Unfortunately, I know that would be difficult as a home owner.

Pets4MePlease
TO PS - Litterbox Problem Re: Rants #543 and 544
October 20, 2005
I have a psychotic black cat who likes to think my kitchen floor is his personal toilet. He shits in the litter boxes with all the other cats but he will not pee in them. Thank the Gods and Goddesses he's limited his peeing to a surface I can easily clean. To rectify this, I took my dog's large crate that he doens't use anymore and set it up in an empty bedroom with a litter box in it. I snag him up, tell him we're going to "use the potty," put him in it and he pees right away. I praise him what a good little man he is and let him out. Voila! Everyone's happy. If I am gone for a long time, he is starting to learn to hold it until I can put him in the potty. I keep the door shut to the room so the other cats can't get in there since that seems to be his problem - won't pee in a box another cat has used. He's insane. You can try this. Hopefully it will work for you too.
Pets4MePlease
TO PS: KITTY CLEAN UP Re: Rants #543 and 544
October 20, 2005
There is an enzyme cleaner that I've used called Simple Solution. You can buy it at most pet stores - Petco, SuperPetz, etc. I've had great success with this - on everything from food stains, vomit, to pee.
PS
October 20, 2005
I've been using Nature's Miracle for the urnin smell on my carpeting, but it just doesn't seem to do the trick. I know I need to replace the carperting but am hesitant till the old man dies. (I would never think of having him put to sleep, but he is 17 already) So, I will try the Simple Solution.

My cat will not hold it. Period..and he's not real fussy about where he pees. I was told once to put Aluminium foil down because they don't want it to splash back up at them and they don't like the feel. Not him..its like his personal little challange. He will pee on carpeting, bare floor, and on stuff like my back pack. (and once he did it right in front of me) I have locked him in the basment for the time being, see if I can get him to use the litter box down there. He is not happy, and there is the potential for him to go on other stuff down there. If that happens.. he might have to take over the dog crate. Oh.. and he does not like for anyone to watch him pee, so I dont think the taking him to the litter box and praising him will work. Maybe I need to take him to the kitty psysic. lol
Feh
October 20, 2005
You could try the dog crate/litter box thing with a sheet or something over it. You know, put him in there, shut the crate, and then put the sheet over it and come back in a few minutes with some treats. Or put the crate in the basement, shut the door and leave him alone for a while. I think it more depends on why he isn't using the box. Is another cat ambushing him? Does he really hate to be watched? Does he dislike the texture of the litter? Have you washed out the box recently? If it's a covered box, you might try removing the lid.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.