Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ovarian cancer and IVF? WTF?

Posted by bell_flower 
Ovarian cancer and IVF? WTF?
July 12, 2006
I have a lot of "female" cancer in my family: breast cancer and my mom had uterine cancer a couple of years ago. I also have severe endo, which puts me at a higher risk for ovarian cancer.

I've run across a fair number of ovarian cancer blogs where the woman has had ovarian cancer and she had only her ovaries removed. I'm sure you can guess why....because she eventually wants to have a child. One in particular wants to use her husband's sperm + donor egg and put it in her uterus so she can carry a child. This requires large doses of synthetic estrogen, among other things.

Her body, her choice but all I can think is HOLY SHIT, ARE THEY CRAZY? Breast/Ovarian/Uterine cancer is usually ESTROGEN POSITIVE, which means that estrogen spurs it on, hence the reason most women immediately get a hysterectomy and ovary removal. And just because you get your ovaries removed, it doesn't mean you've completely eliminated your risk; the cancer can recur in the same area.

I don't understand why, if this procedure requires a donor egg, adoption isn't an option here. But then they wouldn't get their husband's precious DNA. I can only wonder WTF their husbands are thinking, to put their wives, who have a high likelihood of DYING, through something like this.

I personally have never understood the whole SHELBY (a la Stale Magnolias) mindest, where a woman wants to bring a child into the world by whatever means necessary. I remember watching that stupid movie, even as a teen, and thinking, great, so she had her precious "junior" BoyChild; now she's dead and a six months from now her husband will be saying, "Shelby who?" and trying to pawn the kid off on someone so he can bang someone else.

Look, I think most children are vile, but there is no way I'd have one* if I couldn't raise it. (*Of course, I'm not having one thanks to sterilization.) Why is it that people Moo about how Un-selfish MooHood is? What's so unselfish about having a kid that you'll not likely be around to raise?
Re: Ovarian cancer and IVF? WTF?
July 12, 2006
The whole thing with breeders wanting a child regardless of the costs and consequences is bullshit. Insurance companies shouldn't cover any of it. You choose to put yourself at higher risk, then you pay the bills. This is one reason health insurance in this country is out of control.
DrDanCorelli
July 12, 2006
I am against coverage of IV and other assisted reproductive technologies by insurance for the simple reason that the brats of assisted reproductive technology and geezer breeders have more than the normal share of health problems ranging from increased risk of CNS and mental disorders to poorer prognosis in cardiovascular and metabolic/immune disease states based on epidemiological studies published as soon as the first IV brat was hatched. If you choose to have that brat, you should bear the risk associated with it.
July 12, 2006
theres cancer on my side of the family, both sides, mums and dads, on fausts too.. plus mum suffers from a genetic form of asthma, i will get it eventually, maybe many years from now, or tomorrow, my side has a history of tumors brain and others, plus i have had grand mal seizures, luckily i meditate to get relaxed and it turns bad migraines into bad headaches but i can still function. plus there is a few addicts on mums side, plus they used to work in a heavy metal environment with reallly bad stuff (glass and chemical industries).. god knows what that did to the dna.. i had a lump on my leg, had local surgery to remove it, luckily it was benign.

before i learned to relax, i would be exorcist sick, and i would get paranoid, once my pupils went red, and i was quite aggressive.. said to the doctor your trying to kill me, then i threw up all over him..

(its funny now).. it seems that these people think self worth is not important, apart from the use of their sperm and ovaries.. regardless of cost. thats purely selfish.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
July 12, 2006
The male counterpart to this is undergoing an orthiectomy (testicle removal) for prostate cancer when the prostate is too badly wrapped around the urethra.

Removing the testicles slows down testosterone production, which accelerates the prostate cancer. Of course, that comes with menopausal side effects like hot and cold flashes.

That's what my late father had to endure. Well, he didn't miss the testicles at that age. We realized the cats who are de-balled probably have the same issues with hot and cold flashes as the testosterone from the pituitary gland is trying to keep up.
July 12, 2006
Cosmetic surgery is not covered by insurance...IVF is covered. Both are procedures that are choices and/or do not need to be done to save the person's life, yet only one will be paid for by insurance. It's bullshit. If IVF is covered by insurance, then cosmetic surgery should be as well. Or, looking at it the other way, if cosmetic surgery is not covered, then neither should IVF.

I don't even understand why the fuck women go through with IVF. I mean, isn't the success rate around 30% at the highest?
July 12, 2006
The entire IVF industry sickens me, words can not describe the loathing I feel for those who perpetuate that vomit inducing concept.
July 12, 2006
I agree, Feh. Whatever happened to accepting the facts? And that whole "playing God" contradiction.
sprogless
July 13, 2006
Cambion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cosmetic surgery is not covered by insurance...IVF
> is covered. Both are procedures that are choices
> and/or do not need to be done to save the person's
> life, yet only one will be paid for by insurance.
> It's bullshit. If IVF is covered by insurance,
> then cosmetic surgery should be as well. Or,
> looking at it the other way, if cosmetic surgery
> is not covered, then neither should IVF.

This one has always confused me, too. A choice is a choice. This whole IVF thing is just plain creepy. Something about creating humans in a laboratory is just wrong in so many ways. It seems sinister, and evil. Nature can only be fucked with so much, and IVF crosses the line.
July 13, 2006
Playing God is only convenient when it goes in favor of the breeders.
sprogless
July 13, 2006
About 10 years ago, some illegal immigrant from Mexico sued the state of Ca., because Medi- Cal wouldn't cover fertility treatments. She already had 5 or 6 kids on the dole, but since it was her "culture" to have as many babies as she could, she felt the state was discriminating against her. This was on the news, and she was holding her rosary, weeping and mooing in Spanish about how her family will never again know the joy of a new baby. Talk about entitlement!

The case was thrown out of court.
July 13, 2006
illegal is illegal, she should have been sent back, and had the kids there.. she had 5 or 6 already.. there.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
July 13, 2006
Our current American President Bush is all for IVF A.R.T., (artificial reproductive technologies) So all the while he is for it, A.R.T. will thrive. (He is against Stem cell research, btw. What a hypocrite.)

I'm all for adoption. I'm infertile, but I'm not going to put myself through hell just to have my own d.n.a. replicant.

lab mom
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.