Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How old were you when you had a sterilization?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
How old were you when you had a sterilization?
January 13, 2009
How old were you when had a vasectomy or tubal ligation? Where did you go to get fixed? Was it hard to get one?

I personally think more people should get sterilizations so won't any "accidents". More men should seek vasectomies so their so-called "childfree" wife won't accidentally get pregnant.
Re: How old were you when you had a sterilization?
January 13, 2009
I never was. My hubby had the snip done because he had the insurance.
I don't know if he ever regretted it. He was one of those who seemed to have residual problems with pain. He talked about sometimes thinking it was too bad that I had never had a kid, but he did not obsess over that. He had a dumb teen son that took care of that.
I did end up with the damn kid infrequently: he was ok for the most part but not gonna amount to much of anything imo.
As to age, I was around 35 at the time.

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.

January 13, 2009
I was 32 and it was done in the course of laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis. It was covered by the insurance, and I just had to sign the release form. Usually, they try to "save" the plumbing, but in my case, it was so bad the Dr. just cut the tubes out.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
I was 29. I had been asking my OBGYN for a couple years about it, then finally, I pressed him on what I needed to do to make it happen. I was single at the time. Now I understand that the doctors are just trying to cover their butts when he told me in order for me to have it done I would "have to talk to someone". I went to 3 one hour session with a counselor, then he did it. The counselor simply gave me some things to consider and think about in this decision making process before I did it. Not really the worst idea in the world, it just kind of bugs me that a kid who is 15 can decide TO have a baby, but I couldn't decided NOT to have a baby without "counseling".

3.5 years ago, I met the man of my dreams, and he was fixed too.
PS
I was 29. I had been asking my OBGYN for a couple years about it, then finally, I pressed him on what I needed to do to make it happen. I was single at the time. Now I understand that the doctors are just trying to cover their butts when he told me in order for me to have it done I would "have to talk to someone". I went to 3 one hour session with a counselor, then he did it. The counselor simply gave me some things to consider and think about in this decision making process before I did it. Not really the worst idea in the world, it just kind of bugs me that a kid who is 15 can decide TO have a baby, but I couldn't decided NOT to have a baby without "counseling".

3.5 years ago, I met the man of my dreams, and he was fixed too.
I wish more women my age are like you.
January 13, 2009
I can understand the CYA reasons for the doc to mandate counseling. They probably got sued somewhere along the line by some idiot who misunderstood the procedure or what have you. Still, I would be fairly annoyed, especially at my age. I would think 99.9% of those asking for the procedure have thought it through and have come to a considered and well-weighed decision.
clematis
I can understand the CYA reasons for the doc to mandate counseling. They probably got sued somewhere along the line by some idiot who misunderstood the procedure or what have you. Still, I would be fairly annoyed, especially at my age. I would think 99.9% of those asking for the procedure have thought it through and have come to a considered and well-weighed decision.
I hate when people have sterilizations, they change their minds later on. They're ruining it for the rest of us.
January 13, 2009
I started requesting a tubal ligation at the age of 22 and was DENIED. In that area of the south at the time (and STILL), I was told that I would have to be either over age 35 or have given birth to at least two kyds before they would do it. That was a lie because when I did finally reach age 35, I was still DENIED on the grounds that I might "change my mind". I had inquired to clinics and doctor's offices in my entire region between the ages of 22 and 35 and they gave the same lame excuses. When I reached the "magic age" and called my GYN on his prior promise, he came right out and admitted the true reason. He said, "I am in the business of delivering baybees. NOT preventing them". Apparently I was the ONLY patient he had ever had who DIDN'T "change her mind", so I suppose he hadn't worried too much about his little lies. The last time I actively sought a tubal ligation, I was about 41 or 42, and I still could find NO ONE who would perform one on me without my having had the obligatory two kyds. Although there is a clinic that I located since I moved to Kentucky that will perform sterilizations on women without all of those stipulations, it is a four hour drive (one way) and it doubles as an abortion clinic, so of course the picketers would have to be addressed. WHAT FUN that would be to come out after having had surgery and do a meet n' greet with a bunch of religious fundies.eye rolling smiley

I have made it this long without breeding and I am now age 46, so I suppose that I will just let nature continue to take it's course, with my baybee maker intact and a forever empty womb. I am appalled that in this day and age that an ADULT woman can not ask her regular GYN to perform a tubal ligation and be able to have it done in the privacy of his office or a medical facility, like every other medical procedure and with the patient confidentiality that everyone else is afforded for any other medical procedure. Sterilization is highly discriminatory, at least in this area. I know MANY men of varying ages from early 20's to late 60's who have asked for and received vasectomies, no questions asked, no DENIALS due to they might "change their minds", no mandatory numbers of children, and are afforded privacy and confidentiality. Reproductive rights for women is the final frontier in gender equality, IMO. It appears as if reproductive rights are taking strides backwards with these threats to outlaw first trimester abortion, all of the steps taken now to dissuade women from having an abortion with their mandatory ultrasounds and whatnot, restrictions on late term abortions and the morning after pill, refusals to perform tubal ligations, and now with this "conscience objection" nonsense which could make birth control pills or other prescription birth control more difficult to obtain.ranting

I am so glad that I am at the end of my baybee making ability because the last 25+ years of struggling to not get knocked up has been quite a harrowing experience. When "the pill", other hormonal measures, and IUD is ruled out as a birth control choice due to medical/health reasons, there are few truly reliable choices for a woman for preggo prevention. However, where there's a will, there's a way, and I am living proof as NO BAYBEE ever popped out of my body and it won't. You can take THAT to the bank and cash it.drinking coffee
January 13, 2009
I wanted to get sterilised, but there would have been no way in hell any doctor over here agreeing to do the procedure on someone my age (unless I had shat out several cuntlets). We didn't want to bother paying low-life, breeder-pleasing doctors money only for them to say no. So, my husband had his vasectomy done in September last year instead. He's 25 (I am 24). The doctor who did the procedure was recommended through our local Planned Parenthood, and he is AWESOME. He never onced bingoed us, or put on the guilt-trip, or any of the stupid shit most doctors do. Just asked us if we were sure... And two weeks later hubby got the snip. :beer
CherryBlossom
I wanted to get sterilised, but there would have been no way in hell any doctor over here agreeing to do the procedure on someone my age (unless I had shat out several cuntlets). We didn't want to bother paying low-life, breeder-pleasing doctors money only for them to say no. So, my husband had his vasectomy done in September last year instead. He's 25 (I am 24). The doctor who did the procedure was recommended through our local Planned Parenthood, and he is AWESOME. He never onced bingoed us, or put on the guilt-trip, or any of the stupid shit most doctors do. Just asked us if we were sure... And two weeks later hubby got the snip. :beer
I guess I'll go to Planned Parenthood when I'm further in my 20s or next year.
I'm in my early 30's and I'll be getting it done sometime in the next year most likely. I've wanted the ammo taken out of the gun for awhile now, just never really had much drive to get it done until I got married, and then we've always had something more pressing to put the money towards.

I'm probably going to have to do a lot of extra assurances for the doc since I'm basically going to ask "can you do it as irreversibly as possible?" since these things sometimes work themselves undone. We haven't really even checked into how much it will cost or whether the insurance covers it at all. Doesn't really matter, either, there's no way in hell it's even a fraction of the cost of some freeloading runt.
January 13, 2009
CF West
CherryBlossom

Best place to get recommendations from. Thank you
You think 21 is too young to get one?
January 13, 2009
CF West

NOT if you are certain that you won't change your mind. Just be glad that you are not female because you would NOT be able to get sterilized just because you wanted to UNLESS you had at least 2 kyds and even then, it's not a guarantee. Of course that probably depends on the area where you live. If you live south of the Mason Dixon line, you can just about forget it. If I were male, I would have been sterilized at age 22, when I first started seeking permanent birth control. I think that the sooner you do it, the better, but that's just me.
kidlesskim
CF West

NOT if you are certain that you won't change your mind. Just be glad that you are not female because you would NOT be able to get sterilized just because you wanted to UNLESS you had at least 2 kyds and even then, it's not a guarantee. Of course that probably depends on the area where you live. If you live south of the Mason Dixon line, you can just about forget it. If I were male, I would have been sterilized at age 22, when I first started seeking permanent birth control. I think that the sooner you do it, the better, but that's just me.
Yes I'm a man, thankfully. Once I get it, I won't tell anyone or my parents. Unless I met a true childfree woman, I probably would tell her.
CF West
Yes I'm a man, thankfully. Once I get it, I won't tell anyone or my parents. Unless I met a true childfree woman, I probably would tell her.

There's no reason to keep it secret unless you're ashamed of it. For one thing it's your right. For another, society does not ostracize men who choose not to have kids the way it does women.

I mean I wouldn't go around telling everyone simply because I don't tend to talk about my penis with very many people. It makes them uncomfortable simply because in order for them to be told something they assume you feel they have a need to know it. But if it's relevant to the conversation there's no reason to deliberately keep it secret.
January 13, 2009
CF West
kidlesskim
CF West

Whereas if you were a childfree woman, (in the south) you would likely have to seek a tubal ligation from an out of the area clinic where abortions are also performed and take the chance on your medical history being known by whoever is watching the 6 o'clock news in that area, due to the picketers. The staunch pro-lifers also occasionally manage to get ahold of patient/client names/addresses and build and sell mailing lists, so your privacy is invaded in that way as well. If you managed to get a private OBGYN to perform it, which is usually only on the birthing table after delivery of at LEAST kyd #2, they generally require a signed consent from the husband or at the very least, full disclosure to him of the procedure beforehand under the guise of "explaining the surgery". There is NO private GYN (in the south anyway) who will perform a tubal ligation IF the husband objects, no one. Its a good idea to not tell anyone too, as you will most certainly be judged for it, and not in a positive way.
CF West,

From the time I was 17-18 years old making a conscious decision to know if the guy I was dating/ having sex with was pro life or pro choice. Because if I got pregnant unexpectedly, I didn't need him giving me shit about what to do about it if he was of the pro life mentality. I remember hearing about some guy taking his gf to court not to abort his baby, that would not happen to me.

At that time I wasn't too keen on kids but I have a lot of people tell me "you'll change your mind". At that time I thought they might be right. With age and getting a better understanding of what I wanted out of life I finally decided to have it done at 29. We all know someone who has changed their mind, so its possible. I know I wasn't mature enough at that time to make to that decision, that is not to say that others aren't.
January 13, 2009
CF West
CherryBlossom

You will not have to look very hard. Most urologists will not give you hard time. As long as a guy is over 18, they do not usually challenge them. It is different for women for variety of reasons. For guys, the only question they will usually ask you is when do you want it done.
Techie
CF West
CherryBlossom

You will not have to look very hard. Most urologists will not give you hard time. As long as a guy is over 18, they do not usually challenge them. It is different for women for variety of reasons. For guys, the only question they will usually ask you is when do you want it done.
At Planned Parenthood? How much would it cost?
i have been looking into getting it done this year,anyway in my research it said that if i was under 25 i would need extra counselling before making any final decision, lucky im 36 then
roger
i have been looking into getting it done this year,anyway in my research it said that if i was under 25 i would need extra counselling before making any final decision, lucky im 36 then
So under 25, they want to make sure you're confident with your decision?
Just a question from a lurker, sorry for hijacking the thread. I'm quite young and definitely want to be sterilized as soon as possible (CF from the moment I found out labor would hurt, even if I didn't know the term "CF" existed). I would prefer Essure but I'm in the UK so it's not licensed here yet. My only other option is tubal ligation.

The problem is, I found testimonials from people who've undergone the procedure, and all but one of the testimonials I read complained of pain in the abdomen long after the surgery. Pain medication - apparently - had no effect. One even said "if i bend down it feels like somethings popped or moved"!

To those of you who've had the procedure, anything like this happen to you? Also, since it's a recent procedure, any such problems with Essure?

The link to the testimonials: http://experience.patient.co.uk/discussion_list.php?d=289

Thanks
Mia
Just a question from a lurker, sorry for hijacking the thread. I'm quite young and definitely want to be sterilized as soon as possible (CF from the moment I found out labor would hurt, even if I didn't know the term "CF" existed). I would prefer Essure but I'm in the UK so it's not licensed here yet. My only other option is tubal ligation.

The problem is, I found testimonials from people who've undergone the procedure, and all but one of the testimonials I read complained of pain in the abdomen long after the surgery. Pain medication - apparently - had no effect. One even said "if i bend down it feels like somethings popped or moved"!

To those of you who've had the procedure, anything like this happen to you? Also, since it's a recent procedure, any such problems with Essure?

The link to the testimonials: http://experience.patient.co.uk/discussion_list.php?d=289

Thanks
Nobody's young to get a sterilization. It's a smart choice. The think is there are too many stupid breeders out there and there are some wimpy urologists.
Mia

Thanks

I am 32 and I just had the Essure procedure done in December. Now, I am thrilled to have had it done, but I had the same experience as many of the women you mentioned. During the procedure, it was far more painful on one side than the other (and more painful than the Essure site or my doc led me to believe), and I had sharp pains on that side (as well as duller pain on the other side) for 2 or 3 weeks afterward. But, I'll tell you this...it's still far less painful and invasive than tubal ligation and is the best thing out there right now, imo. It's quick, the pain after it's done is in no way unbearable (from my experience - I was still going about my normal business despite it), and it is permanent and hormone-free. All that makes is an excellent alternative in my book. I hope Essure is approved for use in the UK soon. I highly recommend it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login