Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

AskReddit trainwreck post about sociopathic 17-year-old son; almost 2000 comments

Posted by Anonymous User 
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/ks59c/my_17_year_old_is_completely_going_off_the_rails/

Just something entertaining schadenfreude in case you haven't had your fix tonight. Go forth, gawk at and be thankful we'll never have to deal with being responsible this (or any) type of troubled brat. Oh, and there was a comment earlier claiming these issues could be easily solved by the "paleo diet" and claimed a few weeks of gluten freedom worked for the poster's kid with ADHD or autizzm - funny, but it got deleted or downvoted (hmm, wonder why).

Hello, lovely Redditers. This is my first post so go easy.

We have a 17 year old that for the last 5 years has made our life as a family a living nightmare. We are a stable married couple (almost 20 years!), with pretty run of the mill rules of the house that are not too strict, but not too relaxed, either. We've tried to strike a good balance and since we have two other kids that are doing just fine we know it's not necessarily us.

Our oldest has, in the last two years, done the following:
set fires in the house
attempted to strangle his mentally disabled brother
stolen alcohol, hundreds of pills, and drunk bottles of vanilla extract in an attempt to get high
carved cabinets with knives
took knives to school and threatened classmates
made threats to kill everyone in church and burn it down
sneaks girls in the house, unprotected sex, sexting, etc.
broken several pieces of electronic equipment by slamming it down in rage
peed and pooped on a classmate's backpack for fun
stolen money from both us and his siblings
animal abuse, can't leave him with siblings
lies constantly, manipulates everyone he comes in contact with
sexual harassment of young girls ages 13 or younger
consistently poor grades

oh, there's more, but those are the big ones. We had to commit him to a "troubled youth" facility this summer for two weeks, where he sexually harassed/molested another patient and the State showed up at our house because of that. We go to counseling as a family every two weeks, he's on meds for depression.

Honestly we've tried it all. He has made it abundantly clear that he wants nothing to do with any of us since he was about 12. I would love to kick him out but I don't think I can do that under the law.

I know there are Redditors here who have either been super rebellious or had super rebelious teens or family members. Is there anything we can do, anything that might make him stop being such a a colossal tool? Are there other options we can take, like boot camps, etc., that don't cost an arm and a leg? Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

UPDATE: hey folks, I can't believe how big this got. We're off to family therapy. I really appreciate all the help and advice and stories you've shared. If nothing else, I am encouraged by the fact that I am NOT crazy. We will be continuing to get him professional help, and I will update here when I know more. Again, thank you so much for all your help, it's amazing to me that strangers will help other strangers out like this.
Bwahahahahahahaha.........that will never be me!

Fucking little sociopath destroys your life = you send him to the state hospital where he can rot.

If this is tough love, call me the toughest bitch you ever met.
No bitch, you ain't crazy. Your fucking kid is. Ship him off to an asylum and make sure that he's given a nice, cozy Thorazine drip.
cerebralherpes
No bitch, you ain't crazy. Your fucking kid is. Ship him off to an asylum and make sure that he's given a nice, cozy Thorazine drip.
THIS^(infinity)
I'd dump him at the hospital with a note pinned to his collar saying something like, "This is our son. He's fucking crazy and we can't handle him anymore. Please put him anywhere but back in our home."

Well, he's 17, so if they've put up with this for five years, they can do it for one more and then kick his ass out. And hope he doesn't decide to rape the whole family and set the house on fire. Sociopaths feel they are never wrong about anything, so unless he's kept under lock and key forever, the first thing he'll do when he gets out of whatever facility he's in is he'll go back home and terrorize his family in retaliation.

I think their best bet is to kill him and make it look like an accident or suicide. Anti-depressants won't help him because he's not depressed - sociopaths are confident and thrilled with themselves.
I think under the circumstances, the parents can have him removed from the house, especially if he's tried to kill the mentally disabled sibling. He'll be 18 soon enough anyway. Then the problem will be that he's on the loose and he won't be sent to prison and forgotten about until he does commits a crime. With his track record, it's a matter of "when" not "if."

Congratulations on breeding another rapist/serial killer. Please return all deductibles and tax credits you have received for raising this little sociopath. Not that I don't feel for the parents, but their little darling is going to end up incarcerated and the financial burden of that ought to like mainly with them.
I dated a sociopath once.
Big mistake.
Got cheated on and dumped.
Blech.
That kid needs a bullet to the face as much as a houseplant needs water.

“I don’t have pet peeves, I have major, psychotic fucking hatreds.”
— George Carlin
Dear God, these parents had better start some medical and legal tabs on this kid before he turns 18. After that, they can't have him involuntarily committed to a hospital because he will be an adult. He won't be locked up until he's proven to be a danger to himself or society at large. And it takes something major to get sociopaths locked away because they're so good at strategizing themselves out of trouble. With a paper trail, it's easier because there's firm evidence. Like the above poster said, it's not a matter of 'if,' but 'when.'

I lived with a dangerous mentally ill person who I'm fairly sure was also a sociopath. Not an experience I want to repeat.
Deleted because it was OT. :-)
We need a delete button sometime.
Awww.....I bet they weren't counting on this while picking out the lifescript wedding rings.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
This psycho will end up either : dead, in jail or if he's lucky in a facility of some kind. Some you got 3 kids and ones a psycho the other mentally challenged? Sucks to be you. We know some friends with one adopted kid and one natural. Their natural son is now a Marine. The adopted boy turned out to be a schizo, he was a crack baby and he was taken away from birth moo when she tried to smother him with pillow. Apple dosen't fall far from the tree does it?
Wanna bet mom is over 40 and HAAAAAD to have a biobaby?

MY suggestion? Treat him like a rabid dog. Shoot him in the head. Convince courts it was an accident.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Toss his ass out. Sometimes, you gotta turn a child loose to be eaten by the wolves.

stolen alcohol, hundreds of pills, and drunk bottles of vanilla extract in an attempt to get high

Who has 'hundreds of pills' lying around? I have some Benadryl and a half empty bottle of Advil.

I suppose it could mean he steals them from various spots - but still? Is everyone chowing down pills like candy now???
He can be emancipated, after that the justice system will deal with him. He should ALREADY have a record of attempted murder, statutory rape, assault, destruction of property, theft, arson, and possession of controlled substances.

If he has no record yet, moo and duh have merely failed to report and that is also illegal.

Let him go to prison where he can be diagnosed APD by the prison psychiatrist.
Zzelda

Who has 'hundreds of pills' lying around? I have some Benadryl and a half empty bottle of Advil.

I suppose it could mean he steals them from various spots - but still? Is everyone chowing down pills like candy now???

People collect them at the doc these days. I have Benadryl, Tylenol (Walgreens brand lol) and Claritin. And dog pills.

From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
If the schizo was being put on meds, his tard bro has meds, the pawrunts are on meds (usually anti-depressants), and whatever's OTC, the kid had been stealing/hoarding (this became a problem with my duh). As for the vanilla extract, that shit makes you sick if you drink it straight (might as well be unleaded). Hope he mixes his shit.
Snark Shark
they've got ONE TARD and ONE PSYCHO.

GREAT GENES, THERE.

One tardo, One psycho and one dear ... /Thurogood

Zzelda

People collect them at the doc these days. I have Benadryl, Tylenol (Walgreens brand lol) and Claritin. And dog pills.

Collecting samples from the doc is one way. I also know some people who pretend to have anxiety, who then either use them for fun or sell the pills, and the doctor writes prescriptions no questions asked.
Sounds like the parents shouldn't be breeding to begin with. Seriously, get that kid out of society before he harms someone.
Okay, I know this has been done half to death around here but...

damn, I'm glad I'm CF! Not having to worry about whether or not my brat was going to kill me.

:biggrin2
thom_c
Snark Shark
they've got ONE TARD and ONE PSYCHO.

GREAT GENES, THERE.

One tardo, One psycho and one dear ... /Thurogood

(groan) hysterical laughterz
Zzelda

Oh yes-it's the deal to go steal pills from parents, grandparents, etcand then put them in a huge bowl at parties or raves and take a random mixture. They also snort this shit, like Prozac.
We had one of these sociopathic little shits in our family. He fucked with us a couple of times and both times, my parents laid down the law. I am going to tell you about these feral teens-they act like major bad asses, doing this crazy shit, but they aren't stupid enough to fuck with the serious bad asses. Whenever they run into someone who won't put up with their shit, they are all "yes, sir/ma'am" and "please". I know this for a fact-when I subbed, the kids knew I could not kick their ass in school, but when they saw me outside, they were ultra polite cuz they figured I would clock them with my shopping cart...

Some of them got to the point that they would cut the class if I were the sub.
Okay, I gotta give the writer credit for describing the kid as a "colossal tool". Other than that, seems to me a retroactive abortion is in order. I was a rebellious kid but I had a basic sense of empathy that this boy clearly lacks. He's a budding sociopath and will not grow out of it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login