Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teachers prepare to strike, City gets ready by preparing safe havens for kids to get fed

Posted by KABA 
Chicago braces for possible teachers' strike -- its first in 25 years

If it happens, it will affect about 400,000 students, including some from neighborhoods struggling with crime and gang problems.

City officials scrambled to minimize the disruption by setting up 144 sites to provide a "safe environment, food and engaging activities" for students if the strike occurs.

I was actually on the teachers side until I saw one of the provisions they are going for is provisions for nursing mothers. I really don't think a baby belongs attached to a tit in a school. But, I'm all for the other provisions they are asking for, unlike most of the commenters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walk the path of life to my own rhythm, my own beat-if you don't like it, step off and find your own damn song!
Snark- but if they did it in their homes, they wouldn't get all the attention for being 'the holy almighty moo'!
Gotta love America! Force teachers, fire-fighters, police, janitors and the like to put up with a lot of un-reasonable shit hitting over the head with a hammer
However, treat "celebirties", entertainers, athletes and your average asshole millionaire like Gods. kissing ass If the teachers go on strike you'll hear all of these pathetic breeders bitch and moan about how their lives have been disrupted. lurking
Nobody, and I mean nobody wants to teach at public schools in Chicago. Outside of a select few charter schools, city kids are feral ghetto monsters. When you see provisions for "safe havens" even before a strike, what does that tell you? The parents have no backup plans when the free babysitter (school) is closed.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
I wonder how many of these parents are actually working and not at home anyway during the time their brats are at school? Why is it the city's responsibility to find a place for these brats to go if there's a strike? Parents should have a contingency plan, period. As far as I'm concerned, if they aren't in school, they should be under the supervision of their parents. Period. Of course there would be a huge outcry but fuck 'em. Being a parent means you have to deal with shit off the cuff - you bred it, you figure it out.
They're heavily censoring the comments. Apparently, pointing out that people should be responsible for their own kids, is a violation of their guidelines.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
Miss_Hannigan
Nobody, and I mean nobody wants to teach at public schools in Chicago. Outside of a select few charter schools, city kids are feral ghetto monsters. When you see provisions for "safe havens" even before a strike, what does that tell you? The parents have no backup plans when the free babysitter (school) is closed.

Are you sure about this? I know a handful of CPS teachers. And they get paid more than the parochial schools and some suburban. All my teacher friends, once graduated, wanted CPS job b/c of the salary and other perks at the time. My former bio teacher went to CPS and she felt is was more of a challenge than my safe Catholic HS she used to teach at. My former friend teaches in what I would consider a rough 'hood and she loves it.

And, it is not a handful of charter schools that are good. I live in a good 'hood and all the schools in within a 5-10 mile radius are fine and my moo friends send their kids. They wouldn't if it was ghetto monsters. Many schools in my 'hood were on the list of 100 as best in Illinois or the country or something like that a year ago, a few in the top twenty. The kids on my block go to the CPS and they aren't ghetto. The ghetto schools are ghetto. Are you in Chicago? Everyone is marching downstairs in front of my office as I speak here.

You are right that these idiots use them as free babysitters and free food providers tho..... that is what i emailed to my friend when I realized they were setting up free 'havens' for these kids. I doubt that was done 25 years ago at the last strike. Or any strike when I was a child......
Chicago teachers go on strike because the $76,000. average a year they make isn't enough.

They don't need more money.
Who is going to pay for and work in these 144 schools open as safe havens and soup kitchens for the little bastards? I read one comment from a Cow about her 6 and 7 y/o kids that said something like, "...If my cunt critters aren't in school, they'll be out somewhere getting into trouble!"saying 'wtf' WHERE, exactly, would a 6 and 7 y/o kid GO in the first place to "get into trouble"? These bitches treat the public school system as a free baby sitting service, place for free meals for their brats, and just about as a replacement for parenting in every way imaginable INSTEAD of an institution for learning.:headbrick

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/10/us/illinois-school-strike-parents/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

The teachers did go on strike and now parents are in panic mode.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walk the path of life to my own rhythm, my own beat-if you don't like it, step off and find your own damn song!

Honestly.

Teacher on strike. Ok, now, lets play "If I had a kid" game.

Counting that:
1. It is a PLANNED strike. Try living in Italy where sometime those thing happens out of the blue.
2. I don't have a back-up/emergency plan. Ok, it is not me, but I am trying to pretend to be a (urgh) mother here.

Lets make some scenarios:

Kid is 2 to 8 years old and I am a working woman:
talk with the SAMOHHH of some of my kid's classmate and ask her to take care of my brat for a fee.

Kid is 2 to 8 years old and I am a SAMOHHH (URGH)
offer to take the classmates of my kid and look after them... for a fee (eheheheh)

Kid is 9+ years of age
Most kid older than 9 can stay alone in the house for a day without killing themselves or other, if they have been trained to do so. Probably, the kid will do a small happy dance. Offer unlimited videogame time, and prepare something for him/her to eat (I knew how to cook basic recipe by that age, mind you, but alas...). Kid is happy.

END.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
I am painting with a broad brush, but all I know is what my suburban teacher friends tell me. The money is good because they need an incentive to work there. You're still going to get exceptions like Lane Tech and of course the better neighborhoods, but there's a reason CPS is rated one of the worst in the country.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
Snark Shark
more INSANE school shit:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/high-school-students-swag-count-day-144200457.html

"High School Students Get Swag on Count Day"

"This year, every Detroit public high school student who shows up to school on Oct. 3 will be rewarded with a free pair of Nikes, courtesy of a local shoe store."

smile rolling left righteyes2:headbrick

I went to SCHOOL. where's my free nikes???

"The reason for all the swag: Count Day. The number of students in attendance for the entirety of count day in the fall determines 90 percent of per-pupil state funding for Michigan public school districts. The other 10 percent is determined by a second count day in the winter.

"Count information is critical to districts, because each student translates into state funding,""

Oh, that makes bribery ok then!! smile rolling left righteyes2smile rolling left righteyes2smile rolling left righteyes2

Fatta la legge, trovato l'inghippo.

That is an italian motto, meaning: As soon as the law is done, the loophole is found.

This is the same as making the kids do loads and loads of tests to see which school is better. Results: Kids become good at testing.

*eyerolls*

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
What did these people do with their kids during summer vacation?
A former pro-Union, Washington DC henchman for a mayor vs. a Teachers Union. I am so loving this! I don't care who is in the right-this is a beautiful example of karma...
I am ever so goddamned sick of hearing about this! It's on TV *night and day*.

angry smiley

SHUT UP ALREADY!

And that loud mouth woman with her neck beard of fat - DO SHUT UP YOU COW!!!
Zzelda
I am ever so goddamned sick of hearing about this! It's on TV *night and day*.

angry smiley

SHUT UP ALREADY!

And that loud mouth woman with her neck beard of fat - DO SHUT UP YOU COW!!!

But the chillins! However can they be expected to function without their huge helpings of carbs and sodium per day?
OMFG it's on AGAIN!!!

They already did 10 minutes of this at the top of the news - and now *another* story. About some kind of 'kids camp' for the poor displaced Little Ones :Violin

They'll be doing the 'top stories' again at noon - and I might be throwing the TV out the window!

GAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:kill
Zzelda
OMFG it's on AGAIN!!!

They already did 10 minutes of this at the top of the news - and now *another* story. About some kind of 'kids camp' for the poor displaced Little Ones :Violin

They'll be doing the 'top stories' again at noon - and I might be throwing the TV out the window!

GAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:kill

"This is the MidDay News! I'm Breeder Breeden! Our top story: children all around Chicago had to go without their mid morning cheesy fish cracker snacks! More on this, we have Molly Moo on location! Molly..."
But here is the question I get hell for asking about Breed Hills and it must be worse in Chicago: If you have kids and live in a bad school district, WHY DON'T YOU MOVE HEAVEN AND EARTH AND MOVE TO A BETTER ONE!? School district, that is. But as breeders like my mother would say "Oh, but they can't afford to move when the have kids":headbrick
Now I hear the strike may end but I don't want it to! Somehow, parents have to figure out what to do with all those kids. Who knows, they might -gasp! - teach them themselves! Or even - move out of Chicago!
Teachers in this state are well paid for what amounts to a part time job. They need to quit whining.
selidororous
Chicago teachers go on strike because the $76,000. average a year they make isn't enough.

They don't need more money.

Just curious, where did you get that figure?
me
Teachers in this state are well paid for what amounts to a part time job. They need to quit whining.

Do you know what goes into teaching? The planning that goes on behind the scenes can be a full-time job in and of itself. Add in all the government requirements, spayshul IEP kyds, cowtowing to administration, staying after school to sponsor clubs and/or sports, after school conferences, required trainings, etc, and you have a 55+ hour a week job.

ALSO, these teachers probably spend a goodly amount of their paychecks on classroom materials as well as the various school supplies that students either can't afford, forget, or lose. Many teachers give students lunch money, anonymously purchase prom tickets for the students who can't afford them, etc.

You need to stop whining, because you don't know half of what teachers do.

It's your hell; you rot in it!
Well if you think the teachers in your school district make too much and your kids don't do well why don't you parents MOVE OUT OF CHICAGO! If you really cared, you would find a way. Or you're just too cheap.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login