Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Breeders, keep your fucking hands off my dishwasher/laundry soap packets angry smiley Merged with "Laundry Pod Drama"

Posted by bell_flower 
Jeebus, A couple of nights ago I half-caught a story on the evening news. Some granddud is on a campaign to ban laundry soap packets. I didn't catch his story, but you know parental neglect must be a factor.

I found this article that discusses "the problem."

How can some of these cases not be post-natal abortions? One of the cases involves a 7 MONTH OLD INFANT who ingested a packet after his mother put a laundry basket next to him while he was sleeping. How did the infant get into the basket, get into the box of laundry packets and eat them? And why on earth weren't the packets with the other cleaning supplies, not in a bedroom? I'm suspicious.

The article reads these packets are "becoming a hidden hazard inside cabinets and closets."

That's the whole problem, right? Those magical packets are walking out of the cabinets, jumping in kids' mouths or erupting onto their skin. smile rolling left righteyes2

Let's see: campaign to get manufacturers to stop making a product people like, cost the manufacturers millions of dollars, thereby raising all prices for consumers.....

Wouldn't it be cheaper to CHYLD-PROOF YOUR HOUSE AND WATCH YOUR FUCKING BRATS?
Hmmm. My mom taught us to leave the shit under the sink alone. When latches came out, she used them. When Mr. Yuk stickers came out, she used them.

Natural selection. All I am saying about this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
My mom took Dexatrim when I was a toddler - they were bright, shiny capsules filled with many -colored bits. They looked sooo much like candy and I wanted to eat them desperately. But my mom told me not to fucking touch them because I'd get sick... so I didn't. Are kids today so much stupider, or was I just a genius? Maybe its the parents - they can't be assed to actually parent and make sure their kids don't ingest laundry soap?
Okay, go ahead and ban laundry soap packs, because they're just too attractive and apparently kids think they're fucking candy or something.

In that case, also ban other colorful toxic stuff: Windex. Antifreeze. Liquid Wrench. Comet powder. Reusable gel-type ice packs. Medicine of any type. That sticky silly putty stuff used to hang up posters, cause it looks like gum. Fishing gear...kids could swallow those bright red-and-white floaters or stick themselves on the hooks. Scarves---kids could accidentally get tangled in them and suffocate. Actually, Ditto for any type of plastic bags. Breakable dishes...kids could get cut on an edge, should they break. Same goes for glasses made of real glass. Homes should be built without bathtubs and sinks, because they're drowning hazards.

See where this is going, lurking parents? Supervise your damn kids, put potential hazards out of reach, and take responsibility for your actions. The rest of us grown-ups (and the few PNBs out there) don't want to have to pay the price for your cement-headed stupidity when it comes to keeping your kid reasonably safe.
My cousin ate a handful of powdered laundry soap under the sink decades ago. I remember he didn't feel too well, but no one tried to ban anything
stillwaters
My mom took Dexatrim when I was a toddler - they were bright, shiny capsules filled with many -colored bits. They looked sooo much like candy and I wanted to eat them desperately. But my mom told me not to fucking touch them because I'd get sick... so I didn't. Are kids today so much stupider, or was I just a genius? Maybe its the parents - they can't be assed to actually parent and make sure their kids don't ingest laundry soap?

My mother also used Dexatrim and when I asked to try some of her "candy" she told me that it wasn't for kids and they'd make me act like the people on COPS if I ever ate them bouncing and laughing
How about those in charge of chyldrun refrain from buying them. So that us unburdened folks can still have access. Why should the majority be deprived of a product because some do not use it as intended? When will stores hire customer safety advocates to brief parents on every item purchased.smile rolling left righteyes2 :iws ranting
More proof that some people refuse to parent their kids.

But no.

They're too busy being big buddies to their crotchlings.
I'm young but now I feel kind of old, because when I was little, my parents told me not to touch the chemicals above the washer/dryer and under the sink. For some reason it freaked me out so bad that I would be like "NO CHEMICALS THEY ARE BAD" to like everyone haha. I was so afraid of it. Once I ingested some like..like a tiny bit of perfume accidentally and was like OH GOD IM GOING TO DIE. So what the hell is up with these kids being like DERP DERP NOM with all these dangerous things? Do their parents just completely refrain from teaching them? Is it a "kids these days" kind of thing? Or did we just have parents that actually parented?

Or they're just all PNAs and blaming it on someone.

fucking bastards, let me do my laundry in peace.
Re: Breeders, keep your fucking hands off my dishwasher/laundry soap packets angry smiley
October 10, 2013
I'm actually surprised we are allowed to still have that pink house insulation. Surely some poorly-minded brat somewhere decided it was cotton candy and tried to eat it.
Also, thought of something else: companies can just slap on a label that clearly states: "This product not for households with young children."

Then the responsible people can do their laundry in peace.
I will never understand how little kids will turn their noses up at various foods, but will allegedly eat/drink toxic shit. Are they really that fucking dumb that they can't spit out what I imagine is a nasty-tasting, burning chemical? The average child under the age of eight is usually very good at vomiting up perfectly edible stuff, but not something like bleach or soap? Even if it does look like candy, why are they not smart enough to spit it out?

If a kid is that fucking dumb that they will shove a packet of soap in their piehole and proceed to not spit it back out when they realize how awful it tastes, then the kid is probably too fucking dumb to live. This is not like eating marbles (also fucking stupid) where there's not much going on in regard to taste. It's just a choking hazard. But even if there is the threat of a dumbass child noshing on fucking soap packs, why is it so hard to just keep the toxic shit away from the fucking kid? This is not rocket science.
Like I posted once here before when this subject came up. I use those packets for my dishwasher. Dropped one on the floor more than once. My dogs give them a sniff but have NEVER picked them up. I don't get this sudden problem with kyds eating the soap packets. Must be this 'never tell a chyld NO' generation. It's poison you stupid moos! Teach the kyd to stay out of it. My parents never had to lock anything away from me.. they just said "NO..it will kill you" (omg can you hear a parunt saying that to a kid now?)
Yup. Mom would say it is poison and it will kill you. All she had to say is it is poison, and we would not go near the stuff. I did like reading the dire labels though.

I guess the term poison is no longer used, because it will traumatize their creative streaks.

If being creative=eating a bag of Tide Pods, i would rather be boring.

From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
The more specfic the warning, the more creative the stupid,

Some wag on the innerwebs

It is impossible to make things foolproof becasue fools are so ingenious

More Murphy's Laws
www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-laws.html

cfdavep
My cousin ate a handful of powdered laundry soap under the sink decades ago. I remember he didn't feel too well, but no one tried to ban anything

Not to make any excuses for breeders, but up until a few years ago most laundry detergents had at least some phosphates that helped to suspend soil in the wash water. To make up for now the lack of phosphates, the manufacturers have had to use ingredients that are more caustic. Thus, what may have only made someone sick years ago can cause burns and other injuries today. I suspect that the pods have a high pH which is causing the injuries.
bell_flower
Jeebus, A couple of nights ago I half-caught a story on the evening news. Some granddud is on a campaign to ban laundry soap packets. I didn't catch his story, but you know parental neglect must be a factor.

I found this article that discusses "the problem."

How can some of these cases not be post-natal abortions? One of the cases involves a 7 MONTH OLD INFANT who ingested a packet after his mother put a laundry basket next to him while he was sleeping. How did the infant get into the basket, get into the box of laundry packets and eat them? And why on earth weren't the packets with the other cleaning supplies, not in a bedroom? I'm suspicious.

The article reads these packets are "becoming a hidden hazard inside cabinets and closets."

That's the whole problem, right? Those magical packets are walking out of the cabinets, jumping in kids' mouths or erupting onto their skin. smile rolling left righteyes2

Let's see: campaign to get manufacturers to stop making a product people like, cost the manufacturers millions of dollars, thereby raising all prices for consumers.....

Wouldn't it be cheaper to CHYLD-PROOF YOUR HOUSE AND WATCH YOUR FUCKING BRATS?

But-but then they'd have to take responsibility for their brats! Better just to make life hell for everyone else [sarc OFF].

I do agree some of these cases look like PNAs or attempted PNAs.
My house is in no way child-proof and I keep my laundry pods on a shelf over the washer because it is convenient. The pods are aweesome and last much longer for the money than liquid. If people think they are dangerous they should not buy them. Their children should not be going through stuff at another person's house.
barren4ever
How about those in charge of chyldrun refrain from buying them. So that us unburdened folks can still have access. Why should the majority be deprived of a product because some do not use it as intended? When will stores hire customer safety advocates to brief parents on every item purchased.smile rolling left righteyes2 :iws ranting

EXACTLY!!!!!

If you are afraid your chyld will get one and shove it in their mouth, don't buy them! It's not rocket science!

Personally, it wouldn't care if stores did brief parunts on every item purchased, it would show their stupidity problem in grand detail and I would happily take their place in the check out line.
Cambion
I will never understand how little kids will turn their noses up at various foods, but will allegedly eat/drink toxic shit. Are they really that fucking dumb that they can't spit out what I imagine is a nasty-tasting, burning chemical? The average child under the age of eight is usually very good at vomiting up perfectly edible stuff, but not something like bleach or soap? Even if it does look like candy, why are they not smart enough to spit it out?

If a kid is that fucking dumb that they will shove a packet of soap in their piehole and proceed to not spit it back out when they realize how awful it tastes, then the kid is probably too fucking dumb to live. This is not like eating marbles (also fucking stupid) where there's not much going on in regard to taste. It's just a choking hazard. But even if there is the threat of a dumbass child noshing on fucking soap packs, why is it so hard to just keep the toxic shit away from the fucking kid? This is not rocket science.

This x100! I can't even begin to understand the thought process, for lack of a better term. We're hard-wired to spit out things that taste awful, especially bitter-tasting things, even if 1.) they're brightly-colored, and 2.) Mom told us to not touch them (= two powerful attractants).

Just sounds like Darwinism (and the occasional PNA) to me. So hey, let nature do its thing and weed out the stupid-- especially before they get to reproductive age.

bell_flower
Yep, every time anyone tries to idiot-proof something, someone builds a better idiot.

Sad but true. That's one thing we humans are good at.
This is just breeder stupidity.

I wish people were forced to learn a consumer or home version of WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System). For those of you not from Canada, it teaches workers to read hazard symbols and how to look up information for the safe handling of chemicals and products.

If you're curious, I looked up the MSDS for the Tide pods. MSDS

The LD50 is >2g/kg. That is considered moderately toxic. One pod (about 29 g) could potentially kill a one year old child (around 20 pounds). If people knew how dangerous household chemicals were, maybe they wouldn't be so casual with them.

Or maybe there would be an increasing trend of the chemical version of 'lil sizzlers. You never know.
More Laundry Pod Drama
August 11, 2014

Laundry detergent pods have only been available for a few years, but the instances of poisonings have surged, including a 13-month-old Minnesota girl who just spent a week in the intensive care unit

Little Zoe didn't understand that the blue detergent pod she swallowed was not a blueberry, like the ones she was eating earlier. The packet exploded down her throat, making her vomit and burning her airway.

“All I wanted to do is take the pain away from her,” Zoe's mom said. “You can't explain this is going to make you better. If you just sit still and let them do the medicine, that it will make you better. But she doesn't understand that.”

Poison control centers have seen a spike in packet detergent cases. Last month set a record with 50 children poisoned from the pods, with burns to the throat and stomach. Fortunately, no deaths have been reported, but officials say the packets are particularly attractive and harmful to kids.

In a statement, a spokesperson said Sam's Cub takes this seriously. They have transitioned away from transparent tubs, but still need to address issues like a more difficult lid, which will come out next month.

How is this STILL happening? Because parunts are not fucking paying attention.

At least some of the comments do state that. Of course, there are the parunt apologists who "just looked away for a moment."

Link
Re: More Laundry Pod Drama
August 11, 2014
My question is, why was there a detergent pack in the blueberries?

And yes, it is most certainly the fault of parents who leave dangerous chemicals near their children who love to eat shit that spells certain death for them. Period. I may "obviously have no children" but these dumbass parents obviously have no reading skills. Seriously, has anyone else noticed that in the comments recently that all these apologists tend to HAVE to use that line? It's like the ONE line that screams "I need to figure out how to discredit you in some way because you're obviously right and the only way to thin out the herd that's crying foul is to cut out the people that are the MOST right". face saying 'error'r
Re: More Laundry Pod Drama
August 11, 2014
Why would she think a detergent pod was a blueberry? Where do they grow blueberries THAT BIG? Aren't most detergent pods the size of a walnut.. or bigger? Moo... keep your detergent pods on the freekin shelf away from the FOOD and away from the freekin kids! It has been preached over and over and over through the centuries. Keep the poison crap away from your kid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login