Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sneauxflayke Eats Horrible Allergen, Gets Dead

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Sneauxflayke Eats Horrible Allergen, Gets Dead
March 18, 2015
tl;dr version: A boy who was so allergic to dairy that he couldn't apparently eat even a molecule of the stuff ordered PANCAKES-- not bacon, eggs, juice-- PANCAKES--, chowed down, then died three days later from the reaction.

He was so delicate that he had an Epi-Pen and a nebulizer-- neither of which-- oopsie, tee-hee-- happened to be on hand that day. :eyebrows

The family went tear-assing home first, rather than to the hospital. Edit: 911 was eventually called, after it was clear it was too late for his very important, lifesaving meds that they left at home to be effective.

They also claimed that because of his condition they rarely ate out... yet, according to the article, the pancake house knew them by name.

We all know you take your chances when eating out, because restaurants are often staffed by teenagers, non-native English speakers, and other people who don't truly know or care what's really in your food.

Naturally, the family is suing the pancake house. Anyone else smelling a PNA/ money-grab combo?
Re: Sneauxflayke Eats Horrible Allergen, Gets Dead
March 19, 2015
Yup. I'm feelin' it Mr. Krabs. That's some good 'ol negligence right there. I hope that shit doesn't hold up in court. And how old is this boy? Is he a tard that doesn't understand that eating THOSE DELICIOUS, FLUFFY, CONFECTIONARY DELIGHTS ARE DELICIOUS, FLUFFY DEATH!? What a newb.
March 19, 2015
I did see this story and I have to say, why would anyone think that pancakes would be made without dairy products? I mean, unless they want to a specialty restaurant or they made a special request that almond milk or something was used? Not that most run-of-the-mill restaurants would be likely to have that on hand.

I'm going to assume that if the pancakes are from a pre-made mix, then an employee who is not the cook might not realize that dairy is already in the mix. They may assume that because it isn't added at the restaurant, then there is no dairy. Sound reasonable?

So, I couldn't fault the restaurant or employees if they didn't realize the issue.

At the same time, if the famblee were there often enough to be known by the employees, surely they would know that the pancakes weren't "specialty", i.e. made without dairy.
March 19, 2015
I find it extremely odd that the parunts would take their sneauflayke out for pancakes, which are known to contain dairy, and accidentally forget his meds at home.

From what I understand, the parunts told the restaurant that their sneauflayke couldn't have a MOLECULE of dairy in his food, and the restaurant assured them that it wouldn't...but still. Why take a chance like that with your pwecious child? Also, if the restaurant knew them by name, they already knew the sneauflayke had a dairy allergy, and probably did what they could to avoid having him dairied. Unfortunately, cross-contamination happens in restaurants like that.

I'm kinda leaning towards PNA because they brought him to a place where dairy is everywhere and in everything, and they "forgot" his meds at home that day. Why the day they chose to eat out? Was it a pattern with them to forget? I smell a rat.
March 19, 2015
Why didn't the moo have those meds in her purse? I have EVERYTHING I need in my fucking bag and I have it on me ALL THE TIME. Why is this so goddamned hard?

BUTTERMILK pancakes. Duh.

This is one for the Darwin Awards.
March 19, 2015
mumofsixbirds
I find it extremely odd that the parunts would take their sneauflayke out for pancakes, which are known to contain dairy, and accidentally forget his meds at home.

From what I understand, the parunts told the restaurant that their sneauflayke couldn't have a MOLECULE of dairy in his food, and the restaurant assured them that it wouldn't...but still. Why take a chance like that with your pwecious child? Also, if the restaurant knew them by name, they already knew the sneauflayke had a dairy allergy, and probably did what they could to avoid having him dairied. Unfortunately, cross-contamination happens in restaurants like that.

I'm kinda leaning towards PNA because they brought him to a place where dairy is everywhere and in everything, and they "forgot" his meds at home that day. Why the day they chose to eat out? Was it a pattern with them to forget? I smell a rat.
That's what I was thinking. Almost everybody I know that has some sort of allergy carries something just in case, and it's just really weird that this family had nothing. And then rushed home instead of going right to a hospital or calling an ambulance? What is even weirder is, there is no mention of any of the other patrons or even diner employees ever seeking to call 911. Usually in many cases when somebody looks like they are in trouble, an ambulance is called or at least is offered to be called. "Do you think you need an ambulance?"

Something just feels really fishy. I wouldn't be surprised if this eventually turns out to be a homicide or a botched Munchausen by Proxy.
March 19, 2015
I'm also leaning toward PNA territory on this one. I'm sure if the kid had such a deadly dairy allergy that the handlers were well aware of things that contain dairy, so why didn't they tell him to order something else? It's kinda common knowledge that pancakes contain milk. And they forget the kid's allergy supplies on a day when he just happens to eat dairy? AND, rather than go right to the ER, they stop at home, thus delaying life-saving treatment when conventional treatments become ineffective against a severe reaction.

Article
Even the smallest traces of dairy had sent Scott into the emergency room in the past, making restaurant visits extremely rare for the family.

So what made them not go to the emergency room that day?

Plus, I bet they noped out of the restaurant before the kid started having an obvious-to-the-public visual reaction; the family might have recognized something wrong, but the average person would likely be none the wiser. Had they stayed and called 911, an ambulance may have gotten him to the ER for the help he needed in time. When it comes to kids with allergies, I think just about all of them have at least a couple emergencies in their lives where they ingest the allergen and get really sick, and the parents should know how to act under such circumstances. This kid was 16 - Moo and Duh should know how to handle an allergy emergency.

But it could also have been an employee who didn't give a shit. Just because the staff at this cafe knew them by name doesn't mean that it was in a good way. Maybe the family is a bunch of assholes and the server figured they were being uppity, trendy gluten-free douchebags and told them whatever they wanted to hear because servers don't get paid enough to care.

After insisting that the grill be cleaned before the pancakes were made, the family thought that they had taken enough precautions as Scott ate two of the pancakes. They instantly knew something was wrong.

Mind you, I understand that it's reasonable to ask about cross-contamination issues, and given that this place offers gluten-free food, I have to assume that cleaning cooking surfaces for allergen-free meals is normal. However:

Because the state does not mandate workers to get food-allergen training, restaurants do not have to make any special accommodations.

It could be that nobody in the cafe knew how to properly prepare allergen-free food, but they decided to offer it anyway to appeal to a wider customer base and figured a quick swipe of the grill with a wet rag was sufficient cleaning. I assume by the fact that Moo had to ask about the dairy content in the pancakes that the kid never ordered them before that day.

I don't know. My mind is coming up with all these BS alternate possibilities, but my gut's going PNA. After sixteen years of dealing with the kid's allergy, Moo should know enough to have the kid's allergy meds on hand.
March 19, 2015
gnocchi
Anyone else smelling a PNA/ money-grab combo?

Smells like Silver Dollar Pancakes ~
March 19, 2015
I've made pancakes - and know for a fact they can indeed be made with water NOT milk - sounds like Moo and Duh in this case were too fucking lazy to make Snotford some water-based pancakes at home.

But then most breeders are too lazy to cook.....
March 19, 2015
He was.... 16?????? Excuse me while I pick my brains off the ceiling.
March 19, 2015
At 16 this kid should be carrying his own epipen and understand what he can eat, what and where to avoid and what to do if he feels this coming on. The fact that he can't manage his allergy at 16 is the major parent fail here, along with taking the kid to a pancake place. However, he is almost an adult and should have been taking responsibility for himself.
I'm not going to let the restaurant off the hook though. If restaurants can't meet allergy special requests they need to say so, just like ingredients in grocery items need to be properly labeled. Once a place agrees to the request they need to be responsible for meeting it.
March 19, 2015
gnocchi
Naturally, the family is suing the pancake house. Anyone else smelling a PNA/ money-grab combo?

I smell a

A) PNA
cool smiley money-grab
C) combo of the above
D) industrial strength stupidity & scrambled eggs for brains.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
March 19, 2015
mumofsixbirds

I am a Diabetic 2. When I eat sugary food like raisins or ice cream, I need to have an injection of Novolog. It is my responsibility to have a flexpen in my purse at all times. The flexpen lives in there for a month, only leaving at the end of the month when it is time for a new flexpen to move in.

I also must carry glucose tablets in case my blood sugar decides to drop to the floor.

I won't die if I don't carry my Novolog, but I can get in trouble with elevated sugar levels or other problems such as a salt crash, (my body won't hang on to sodium well so I must eat a high sodium diet).

These parents sound fishy as a tuna salad sandwich.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
March 20, 2015
They took him home first, which means they had ample opportunity to dab a little milk on his lips during the drive. Any reasonably suspicious person would wonder if the dairy products were administered at home, in order for them to get off without punishment and make a bundle from the restaurant at the same time.
March 20, 2015
Jesus fuck. Are breeders held responsible for anything anymore?

Edit: Guys, read the article.

1. The kid is 16. It's not a PNA.
2. The waitstaff told them that the pancakes were dairy-free, and said that they'd clean the griddle well before use. If that's true, then it really is on the restaurant. If a restaurant is SAYING that they are providing something, the sure as fuck had better be.
March 20, 2015
Um, sorry, but have to disagree.

I still think it was a PNA because:

a. They so-called forgot the kyd's medicine at home, when they knew they were going out to a restaurant to eat. The kyd was 16, and they would have KNOWN to bring his meds, especially when eating out.
b. They didn't take him to the ER right away, but home instead. Anything could have happened during that time. If he was so sick, why make a pit-stop? Why not take him to the hospital, where people could help save his life?
c. They were ordering something which likely would be cross-contaminated in a restaurant like that.
d. They were probably tired of accommodating their 16 year-old's special needs, so they decided it was easier to off him by letting him eat pancakes.
e. They are suing the restaurant for $$, which doesn't prove a PNA, but it does make me think that there was a motive.
March 20, 2015
I have no real opinion on whether this was a PNA/cash-grab or not. I just hope he at least got some syrup on those mothafuckas.

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

March 20, 2015
I was debating about making some pancakes on this randomly snowy day. Looks like I know what I'm doing for dinner.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
March 20, 2015
mumofsixbirds
Um, sorry, but have to disagree.

I still think it was a PNA because:

a. They so-called forgot the kyd's medicine at home, when they knew they were going out to a restaurant to eat. The kyd was 16, and they would have KNOWN to bring his meds, especially when eating out.
b. They didn't take him to the ER right away, but home instead. Anything could have happened during that time. If he was so sick, why make a pit-stop? Why not take him to the hospital, where people could help save his life?
c. They were ordering something which likely would be cross-contaminated in a restaurant like that.
d. They were probably tired of accommodating their 16 year-old's special needs, so they decided it was easier to off him by letting him eat pancakes.
e. They are suing the restaurant for $$, which doesn't prove a PNA, but it does make me think that there was a motive.

A. It's completely reasonable to not bring meds, since he's allergic to dairy and all he has to do is not ingest any dairy. I'm allergic to amoxicillin, but I don't carry around anything for that because all I have to do is not get any amoxicillin. It's not like being allergic to bees which might come after you.
B. They took him home. That's where his MEDS were. Given how slow emergency rooms are, that could very well have been faster. It's also possible that they didn't realize he'd been exposed to dairy, since there shouldn't have been any dairy in anything he ate. And considering it took THREE DAYS for him to die, they had time to stop at home.
C. That's on the restaurant. They're the ones responsible for safe food-handling. The restaurant told them that they would not use dairy and would use clean equipment, according to the article, which they then didn't do.
D. Seriously? They'd put up with that for 16 years, but when he's 2 away from maybe moving out, THEN they're suddenly sick of it? Possible, but really fucking unlikely. I think you're just biased into thinking that way because of all the obvious PNA cases. Just because PNAs sometimes happen does NOT mean that any and every death of a minor is therefor a PNA.
E. Of course they're suing! Anyone would sue! That's how you punish companies! Companies care about money. They'll do anything they can get away with as long as it's profitable. To get them to do anything right, you have to hurt their bottom line, otherwise they'll cut every corner. You can put people in prison, but not companies. So companies have to be sued. (Especially since a murder charge wouldn't stick.)
March 20, 2015
Holy Christ, Julie, you are polluting this board with your anger. Why do you even bother coming here if it's just to start fights? You have YOUR opinion and I have mine.

You accused us of not reading the article. I just so have happened to have watched this on TV and came to my conclusion that way, even though they were also blaming the restaurant. Get a fucking grip on yourself already!
March 20, 2015
mumofsixbirds
Holy Christ, Julie, you are polluting this board with your anger. Why do you even bother coming here if it's just to start fights? You have YOUR opinion and I have mine.

You accused us of not reading the article. I just so have happened to have watched this on TV and came to my conclusion that way, even though they were also blaming the restaurant. Get a fucking grip on yourself already!

I say it's not a PNA, you say it is, I explain how it's still not (addressing each of your arguments one at a time,) you throw a fit and accuse me of being angry. What.

What is it with you that whenever something doesn't go your way you just throw your arms up and declare that person MUST be angry and, what, polluting the board just to be contrarian? The accusation that I'm the angry one is pretty hilarious, considering your own comment. Hint: You're the one starting fights, because YOU evidently can't handle differences in opinions. Don't project that fault on to me.

Also, I never accused you of not reading anything. I said "guys, read the article," as a general statement because major details are missing in this posts, and some posts make conclusions that really don't fit with the story, and I explained all of this in easy numbered points. You think I was accusing you, specifically, of not reading? I hate to break it to you, but you're not that special to me. Just because you like starting fights whenever you see my username does not mean that I think about you that much.
March 20, 2015
Julie, go visit a shrink and deal with your shit already, please. Your anger is evident all throughout the trainwreck thread, and now evidently on THIS thread, too. You are making a fool of yourself on this board with your BS. What I am saying is purely my OPINION. You know what they say about opinions, don't you? Everyone has one. They're like assholes. No need to attack me for my opinion.

TLDR; Who has pissed in your cornflakes this morning?
March 20, 2015
mumofsixbirds
Julie, go visit a shrink and deal with your shit already, please. Your anger is evident all throughout the trainwreck thread, and now evidently on THIS thread, too. You are making a fool of yourself on this board with your BS. What I am saying is purely my OPINION. You know what they say about opinions, don't you? Everyone has one. They're like assholes. No need to attack me for my opinion.

Yes. Clearly seeing this as NOT a PNA, and not going along with you when you baseless declare it to be, which you can't handle, it somehow a fault on me. Riiight. /s

You don't just get to declare someone "angry" whenever they show you how your arguments don't hold water (and it's not like I was even somehow mean about it, despite your past behavior.) If you're all about "differences of opinion," then why don't you have the maturity to deal with mine? Why do you have to throw fits instead of either a. forming a new argument, b. reexamining your previous conclusion, or c. agreeing to disagree? Why is option d. tantrum and projection?

You're the one throwing fits. All you have to do is not do that. How hard is that, really? And why do you have to derail interesting threads to somehow be about your and your little feelings?

Stop starting fights. Stop projecting. Stop talking to me. And grow up.
March 20, 2015
Back on topic.

Seriously though, everyone. If someone was really going to go for a PNL, is it really all that likely that they'd wait 16 years to do it?

Also, since this is important, do we believe that the parents actually did get told by the staff that the pancakes were dairy free and that precautions would be taken, or do with believe that's just something they're saying now, after the fact, after neglecting to do so? Because that would make a pretty big difference, I think.
March 20, 2015
juliewashere88
mumofsixbirds

Yes. Clearly seeing this as NOT a PNA, and not going along with you when you baseless declare it to be, which you can't handle, it somehow a fault on me. Riiight. /s

You don't just get to declare someone "angry" whenever they show you how your arguments don't hold water (and it's not like I was even somehow mean about it, despite your past behavior.) If you're all about "differences of opinion," then why don't you have the maturity to deal with mine? Why do you have to throw fits instead of either a. forming a new argument, b. reexamining your previous conclusion, or c. agreeing to disagree? Why is option d. tantrum and projection?

You're the one throwing fits. All you have to do is not do that. How hard is that, really? And why do you have to derail interesting threads to somehow be about your and your little feelings?

Stop starting fights. Stop projecting. Stop talking to me. And grow up.

Fuck you, Julie. I have every right to say what I want on this board.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login