Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Women are physically weaker than men so they should know their place"

Posted by blackpearl 
This subject came up in the context of sports when i searched some stuff about women and gym training. I'm one of the persons that goes to gym regularly and practices other kinds of sports (jogging and aerobics are on my top list). I had some people occasionally telling me to be careful about so much training because i'll get too bulky and won't look feminine enough. Lately one guy at the gym commented that i'll get too thick legs while doing my leg workout. And my personal favorite: if i train too much, i won't get my periods and therefore won't be able to get knocked up.smile rolling left righteyes2

In my searches bumped into some MRA sites that were taking the out the biological argument that women will never be equal in sports to men because women are physically weaker and women's sports are a joke. Actually, this is true, most of women are physically weaker than men but under no circumstance i would consider women's sports a joke.

BUT, what really disturbed me are the idiots using this statement to say that women should know their "place". The biology argument has always disturbed me because that is one of the major arguments which is used as an attack on CF. Here to be included the biological clock and how the desire to have kids is wired in women because biology and women who don't want kids are abnormal.

Also the physical weakness argument has been used against women to stop them doing certain professions and sports (see ski jumping).

I can't help wondering though, if i am considered so weak than why i'm expected to do smth. that takes a serious toll on the body and can even kill me? People have no problem is saying that pregnancy and calving are so natchuraal but when i train at the gym some go insane.
When I used to live in a country which was a real breeder heaven, it went beyond that.
Exercising and taking care of yourself (clean diet) was considered vain.
It was like "How do you DARE to take care of yourself? That's only for models
and movie stars. You are supposed to get inpig, become as fat as a whale, get stretch marks
all over your body and be happy about it - because it's soooooo worth it."
Gotta love people who think a woman should "know her place".
My place is where I say it is, no one else can or will put me in their idea of what my place is. This isn't "A Doll's House" and this isn't the 19th century. The next time someone tries to tell you this crap, turn around and ask them which of your bills they are going to be paying that month. When they stutter and say none just smile sweetly and reply "until you pay my bills you get no say in what I do".
Women are physically weaker and will never be able to compete with men in certain athletic endeavors, ie., professional boxing, MMA, etc. There are biological reasons why men are better able to build and maintain muscle mass than women. And for these reasons, women and men should not be competing directly against one another. It's an issue of safety.

Should women participate in ski jumping? I don't know. It doesn't look like a particularly safe thing for anyone to do.
Women are weaker? Bull honky, I used to revel in my choice hobbies, weight lifting, kick boxing, cycling, tennis, yoga, Pilates, tha chi, running and a few other minor ones.

I used to exercise 6 days a week, twice a day for between 1-1.5 hours a pop per visit. I perticually loved my body building with a passion, used protein powder to aliviate the after aches and pains.

Bench press 60kg, 3 sets, 20 reps
Lateral pull downs 75kg, 3 sets, 20 reps
Single arm lateral pull downs 35kg, 3 sets, 20 reps
Leg press 400kg, 3 sets, 12 reps
Single leg press 180kg, 3 sets, 20 reps

Upright rowing 30kg, 3 sets, 20 reps
Hamstring extensions 50kg, 3 sets, 20 reps
Abdominal crunch 55kg, 3 sets, 20 reps

...I could keep going but the point is met, I looked so dam femine during my peak weight lifting days, I had a nice layer of fat over my muscels that made it unseen unless I wanted it to be seen, hell i even modeled around this time alongside my day job, god I was so happy doing my sports, but everyone around me told me I was unfemine for doing weights, or that I'd bulk up and look ugly, even though I never took it that far, and just really made me feel like I was so fat and ugly that I used to cry myself to sleep at night, even though looking back at the photos now, dam! I wish I'd never got permently injured at work and got to keep doing what I loved.

Meanwhile my cousins did ballet and dieted so hard for thier proformances, they stopped having periods all together, proving you dont have to compete in a manly sport to lose that.
exile
Women are weaker? Bull honky, I used to revel in my choice hobbies, weight lifting, kick boxing, cycling, tennis, yoga, Pilates, tha chi, running and a few other minor ones.

A man who mirrored your same workout routine would end up far bigger and stronger than you. It's a matter of body chemistry and biology.
@mrs chinaski: I also got the vain comment and that i'm waisting my time with sports.

@exile: wow, that's some training! I'm not that much into weight lifting but more into fitness. Actually for most part, as i said, men are stronger than women. The "should know their place" is the part that i hate because some persons imply that sports (especially certain ones) are not for women at all. Ski jumping actually is harsh on both men and women, to be more specific on the knees so the fact that women were forbidden to have their part in the Olympics was bullshit because it was based on the fear that it might harm their reproductive organs.
StudioFiftyFour
exile

A man who mirrored your same workout routine would end up far bigger and stronger than you. It's a matter of body chemistry and biology.

My brother did the exact same weight lifting regime as me, and volly ball as his sport of choice, I avoided doing less reps so i wouldn't build bulkier muscels, he avoided more reps so he wouldn't build ropeier muscles, he ended up scrawny as with less muscel bulk than I, even though we're as close a DNA copy of each other could be in male/female form, he even went to greater lengths to try and build bulk, in the end, we were equally strong, but I had more muscle, and gained it with far greater ease than him.

Each person is different on a biological level yes, but the discrepancies between gender isn't always clear cut.

@blackpearl, yeah I really hate people treating females like they should be chained to a stove or bed, slucing loaves at Beck and call, because you know, that's all were good for, not like we could ever accomplish an amazing feet in some way, shape or form that isnt a baby.

Trust me I get what your saying, I used to be on of the only females in the weight lifting room at the gym, cept for the occasional spandex clad female trying to pick up, or the over protective shadowing girlfriends of a few guys in the room, I always got those looks that said "what are you doing in here, you shouldn't be lifting weights" till I got on a machine or picked something up. I went there to exercise, not pick up gross muscle men, or get hit on disguised as assistance.

My other sports and hobbies were all sorta loner things, so I rarely heard smack about them, although I did find the guys I worked with treated me with more respect when I did my lifting and kick boxing.
exile
My brother did the exact same weight lifting regime as me, and volly ball as his sport of choice, I avoided doing less reps so i wouldn't build bulkier muscels, he avoided more reps so he wouldn't build ropeier muscles, he ended up scrawny as with less muscel bulk than I, even though we're as close a DNA copy of each other could be in male/female form, he even went to greater lengths to try and build bulk, in the end, we were equally strong, but I had more muscle, and gained it with far greater ease than him.

Each person is different on a biological level yes, but the discrepancies between gender isn't always clear cut.

It's actually very clear cut. Men are physically stronger, biologically weaker. It's not a difference of opinion.

Article by Neel Burton, MD

If women could compete on par with men in events of athleticism/physical strength, why aren't they playing in the NFL? Taking on men in boxing? MMA bouts?

The answer is that they'll be badly injured, and possibly killed. For safety's sake, it's imperative that they compete amongst themselves.
blackpearl
This subject came up in the context of sports when i searched some stuff about women and gym training. I'm one of the persons that goes to gym regularly and practices other kinds of sports (jogging and aerobics are on my top list). I had some people occasionally telling me to be careful about so much training because i'll get too bulky and won't look feminine enough. Lately one guy at the gym commented that i'll get too thick legs while doing my leg workout. And my personal favorite: if i train too much, i won't get my periods and therefore won't be able to get knocked up.smile rolling left righteyes2

In my searches bumped into some MRA sites that were taking the out the biological argument that women will never be equal in sports to men because women are physically weaker and women's sports are a joke. Actually, this is true, most of women are physically weaker than men but under no circumstance i would consider women's sports a joke.

BUT, what really disturbed me are the idiots using this statement to say that women should know their "place". The biology argument has always disturbed me because that is one of the major arguments which is used as an attack on CF. Here to be included the biological clock and how the desire to have kids is wired in women because biology and women who don't want kids are abnormal.

Also the physical weakness argument has been used against women to stop them doing certain professions and sports (see ski jumping).

I can't help wondering though, if i am considered so weak than why i'm expected to do smth. that takes a serious toll on the body and can even kill me? People have no problem is saying that pregnancy and calving are so natchuraal but when i train at the gym some go insane.

Don't you just love how women are so weak, and should always know their place and defer to men smile rolling left righteyes2

It's about keeping women in their place. Pregnancy keeps women down, plain and simple. Having to care for babies puts women at a disadvantage in our society. I know there are some people here would would differ on that, and that's OK. But in the real world, having a high powered job doesn't mix with diaper changes, breast feeding, school runs, etc.. Indoctrinating women from a very young age to want babies, husband and SAHM is a way to keep women occupied on other things, so they don't directly compete with men. I stopped counting all the number of entitled men who were butthurt because ambitious women were getting jobs they felt a man should have, by virtue of him having a dick. Pro-natalism benefits men, because putting women on a pedestal for doing something any alley cat can do keeps women dependent on their partners, husbands, and society. It makes them feel special for doing absolutely nothing. A financially dependent woman with a baby isn't likely to seriously challenge the system, or her husband, if it means she ends up homeless and hungry. And of course, men would get their dickwerks trophy. And lots of loser men wouldn't have to put much effort into finding a partner.

I don't know about others, but I think toned, muscled women are beautiful! A woman with strong, lean muscled legs is drop dead sexy grinning smiley Any man who denigrates a muscled woman is just letting you know what his fears and insecurities are. A weak woman is easy to push around. A strong woman will fight back.

MRA sites suck donkey balls. They're filled with angry, bitter, sorry-excuses-for-a-man. If those creeps had their way, women wouldn't have the right to vote, violence against women would be in the Constitution, and forced breeding would be the law. Oh yeah, and don't forget the mandatory DNA test, to be sure it was his dick that spawned the loaf. Child support would be non-existent, too. MRA are scum. ranting angrily flogging with a whip
exile
Bench press 60kg, 3 sets, 20 reps
Lateral pull downs 75kg, 3 sets, 20 reps
Single arm lateral pull downs 35kg, 3 sets, 20 reps
Leg press 400kg, 3 sets, 12 reps
Single leg press 180kg, 3 sets, 20 reps
Upright rowing 30kg, 3 sets, 20 reps
Hamstring extensions 50kg, 3 sets, 20 reps
Abdominal crunch 55kg, 3 sets, 20 reps

I used to work out like this when I was in my 20's, but on my legs, and abs. I could wear Daisy Dukes back then, and I had washboard abs. I still lift, I can leg press 70 pounds, 3 sets of 12 reps each after a full body workout of other weights. My abs are still hard, my thighs and arms are muscled. I'm 52 years old, and I have young men half my age checking me out :cool

I find that men who work out respect a woman who can haul weights, because they understand the discipline required. Toned men prefer women who take care of themselves. Any man who is putting a woman down for exercising and staying fit is showing his own insecurities. Maybe he would want to go to the gym, but cannot because he doesn't have the time anymore, or because his kids are sucking down all extra income.
StudioFiftyFour
Women are physically weaker and will never be able to compete with men in certain athletic endeavors, ie., professional boxing, MMA, etc. There are biological reasons why men are better able to build and maintain muscle mass than women. And for these reasons, women and men should not be competing directly against one another. It's an issue of safety.

Should women participate in ski jumping? I don't know. It doesn't look like a particularly safe thing for anyone to do.

Ski jumping is one of the few sports in which the gap between male and female is very narrow and women could compete with men. In a few instances women have set records. Maybe this explains the resistance.
Physical weakness does not devalue a person's worth as a human being. Not everything is about brawn and "massive gains, bro." Intelligence, empathy and other attributes are worth just as much (if not more). Not everything is a competition. Don't like women's sports? Don't watch. Men have been using physical strength to justify treating women poorly since the beginning of time. It's used to devalue, threaten and physically keep women "in their place" when necessary. Not unlike how gorillas pound on their chests and smash things to show dominance.

One person's opinions do not affect the worth of something. If women's sports were a joke, they wouldn't have existed for so long and continue to exist. Somebody's obviously profiting off them somewhere.

Jerkoffs like that can't be satisfied. If women work out and take care of their bodies, they're trying to be manly. If they eat bon-bons on the couch all day, they're lazy heifers.

TL;DR - Stronger does not = superior.
StudioFiftyFour
exile

Studio 54 is correct. My understanding is that men are, on average, 3 times stronger than women. This doesn't automatically mean all men are stronger than all women but, usually, men are physically stronger, thanks to evolution, and natural selection. They have broader shoulders, for example. Natural selection, the driving force of evolution, simply makes things MORE LIKELY -- it's not a guarantee.

Men evolved to be stronger physically because they had to compete with each other to win over mates. A byproduct of such competition is violence, so they evolved to be strong to have the best chance of ensuring their survival, and passing on their genes. Remember: It's all about reproductive fitness.

Trust me. I am close to 300 pounds and have dated men who are 130-200 pounds. My ex clocked in at 150 pounds and he was definitely stronger than me. He once got me into a body lock as we were playing around and I couldn't get out.

The Canadian guy I've yapped about before is MAYBE a solid 200 pounds, but more like 150-170, and he could probably wipe the floor with me if he wanted to do so, even though he's a skinny guy.
Sorry but the majority of women are weaker than men. It's just the simple fact that we are built differently. But there are women who are the exception to the rule. In high school, we had a girl who could shame all the guys in JROTC in the work-outs....and she was doing the male work-outs. She had no problem doing pull-ups, standard push-ups, running etc. She was just that good. Then you had the prissy girls who couldn't lift a tire-iron. It all depends on the person but again for the most part we are weaker.

My issue though is when the MRA Gestapo come out and try to say women competing is a joke and that women should know their place. Again, unless you pay my bills, my place is where I say it is.
Agree that women, on average, are weaker than men, on average. That doesn't mean that there aren't women out there who are much stronger than the average men. When I was lifting, I could squat more than a lot of the guys at the gym, but I was, much to my frustration, never able to build up my pecs worth a damn. Fortunately I don't use physical strength to determine my value as a person; that seems rather outdated in an era when most work is based on intellectual capital.
Yeah, the average man is stronger than the average woman. As for me, I am 5' 3" and I weigh 105-108 lbs, and hell yeah, I "know my place" as a consequence...

It's at the firing range , keeping my CCW marksmanship skills up to par, in case some fool thinks I look like an easy mark.

Sorry but the majority of women are weaker than men. It's just the simple fact that we are built differently.

That, and let's not forget testosterone, which allows men to build more muscle.
I am amazed people who think like that still exist. Yes it's true that in general women are physically weaker than men, but then so what? As for the sports argument, there are lots of types of sports that don't rely on strength, e.g. figure skating and gymnastics. Hell, there is the glorious discipline of rhythmic gymnastics which is for women only, so there. Not everything in life is measured in physical strength because if that were the case, we could stop making music, going to college, learning languages etc. since none of these require extraordinary physical strength.
The whole 'you will look unfeminine' and 'you'll stop getting your period' bullshit is just that-bullshit. I never managed to completely rid myself of my period no matter how much I dieted while a friend of mine who was quite overweight (but still not morbidly obese) stopped getting her periods because of her weight. It's individual, just like most things, just like your preference in terms of what you want to look like. It's beyond me why anyone would give a shit about somebody else's periods.

I never thought of Finland as a backward country but I definitely do now. How bizarre that someone would tell a stranger at the gym what they should or shouldn't be doing with their body. Insecure people love sticking their noses into other people's business. Unfortunately there are way too many insecure people in this world. Insecurity wreaks havoc not only on the affected person but unfortunately also on anyone unlucky enough to cross their path. MRAs are a pathological manifestation of insecurity and bitterness and therefore feel the need to stick their noses into everything 24/7, I'm amazed they haven't all died out from asphyxiation yet.
Peace
blackpearl

Don't you just love how women are so weak, and should always know their place and defer to men smile rolling left righteyes2

It's about keeping women in their place. Pregnancy keeps women down, plain and simple. Having to care for babies puts women at a disadvantage in our society. I know there are some people here would would differ on that, and that's OK. But in the real world, having a high powered job doesn't mix with diaper changes, breast feeding, school runs, etc.. Indoctrinating women from a very young age to want babies, husband and SAHM is a way to keep women occupied on other things, so they don't directly compete with men. I stopped counting all the number of entitled men who were butthurt because ambitious women were getting jobs they felt a man should have, by virtue of him having a dick. Pro-natalism benefits men, because putting women on a pedestal for doing something any alley cat can do keeps women dependent on their partners, husbands, and society. It makes them feel special for doing absolutely nothing. A financially dependent woman with a baby isn't likely to seriously challenge the system, or her husband, if it means she ends up homeless and hungry. And of course, men would get their dickwerks trophy. And lots of loser men wouldn't have to put much effort into finding a partner.

I don't know about others, but I think toned, muscled women are beautiful! A woman with strong, lean muscled legs is drop dead sexy grinning smiley Any man who denigrates a muscled woman is just letting you know what his fears and insecurities are. A weak woman is easy to push around. A strong woman will fight back.

MRA sites suck donkey balls. They're filled with angry, bitter, sorry-excuses-for-a-man. If those creeps had their way, women wouldn't have the right to vote, violence against women would be in the Constitution, and forced breeding would be the law. Oh yeah, and don't forget the mandatory DNA test, to be sure it was his dick that spawned the loaf. Child support would be non-existent, too. MRA are scum. ranting angrily flogging with a whip

I agree, with all this. Well muscled people of both genders are hot. MRA's are just plain nuts, and I don't think women will truly be equal until babies can be made outside of women. Pregnancy ruins bodies, any social benefits from pregnancy are a consolation prize. Most women are brainwashed into spawning. Have you read "The Feminine Mystique" by Betty Friedan? I think it explains a lot of obnoxious moo behavior.

On the science side of men vs. women, although men tend to be stronger on average due to testosterone, they also live shorter lives due to testosterone, and commit more violent crimes due to testosterone. Plus the Y chromosome is fucked up. It's basically just a tiny chunk of the X chromosome. There are genetic mutations that cause terrible things in men and wonderful things in women. For example there is a gene that causes color blindness in males and can cause enhanced color vision in females. Not to mention the theory that men will eventually become extinct due to Y chromosome degradation. The modern Y chromosome contains only three percent of the genes it had when it started evolving.
These arguments fail in several ways. Those better versed in that can do better than I can.

Here's a list of the 'logical fallacies' -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

The sharp people here who remember or use these ideas -
Can work off of those better than I can.

I have to run alot of numbers work wise, I'm about two steps removed from a professional gambler. (I analyze and trade the commodities markets.)

So I would look at this from a numbers / variables angle perhaps. And IMO that's why most of these arguments don't work. You can't work off of averages because *too many* people are close to average. Yes, that sounds like it makes no sense - but it is simple common sense that you cannot proscribe the traits of an outlier to the aggregate.

Most people are *outside of* the Strong and Well Trained set. Those people are relatively rare. They are outliers and you cannot compare 'the average' to them. And if 'factored in' - they 'drag up' the average also.

You could probably apply math to this -

I am too lazy to do so myself. But I hope I conveyed the gist of my idea here - this argument fails by the 'average'.

Eggheads - help me out here! smiling smiley

These type of M V F arguments fail on various logic principles.
(These ideas apply to many other arguments as well.)

You Smart Kids here! - Can expand upon this / explain it better then I can. There's all sorts of 'logic fails' with these various arguments.
My standard response.
Gomer: You shouldn't do this, you'll get bulky and unfeminine.
Me: Don't worry, Gomer. I'll never let you fuck, regardless of how I look.
Gomer: (condescending tone) I don't mean myself! I like me some meat on my women.
Me: You seem awfully concerned about some other man's choice of fuck toys.

I will concede that on average, men tend to be bigger and stronger than women. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Most people are bigger and stronger than I am. Hell, an average 15-year-old is bigger and stronger than I am. But if you try to use this fact in order to tell me that I should "know my place", you're just angling for a gun shot wound.

The fact that men can do something faster and easier than I can, doesn't make me some delicate flower, who will be damaged by the activity. And yes, I do understand that men offer to help me with things, because I have a tiny bone structure, and their parents taught them that it's polite to help those who are physically weaker. I know the difference between a polite guy, and a condescending asshole.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
I forgot to add: The time the Babe Ruth guy and Lou Lehrig got their asses handed to them by a 17-year-old girl

A little quote from the site:
Aunt Wiki
A few days after Mitchell struck out Ruth and Gehrig, baseball commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis voided her contract and declared women unfit to play baseball as the game was "too strenuous."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
trekkie monster
I forgot to add: The time the Babe Ruth guy and Lou Lehrig got their asses handed to them by a 17-year-old girl

A little quote from the site:
Aunt Wiki
A few days after Mitchell struck out Ruth and Gehrig, baseball commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis voided her contract and declared women unfit to play baseball as the game was "too strenuous."

smile rolling left righteyes2

Got to be careful that women might win at some sport or activity that men own. Frankly, I don't think women care so much when men excel at things that have been traditionally female, like cooking or fashion. Women can compete directly with men in some sports, and it was an amazing thing that Jackie struck those legends out at the plate, but she got punished for her accomplishment. According to the article she kept playing but she was seen as something of a sideshow freak. WTF.
trekkie monster

I will concede that on average, men tend to be bigger and stronger than women. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Most people are bigger and stronger than I am. Hell, an average 15-year-old is bigger and stronger than I am. But if you try to use this fact in order to tell me that I should "know my place", you're just angling for a gun shot wound.

a wee bit o redneck humor

Click here to login