Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Being a housewife shouldn't = baby maker.

Posted by quills 
Re: Being a housewife shouldn't = baby maker.
November 21, 2011
.) They always say the same thing when they watch the hubby and I together, playing jokes off each other, finishing each other's sentences...."You guys enjoy each other way too much for a couple that's been married as long as you have." And I always wonder....do they not share ANY common interests with their wife besides their kids? That marriage isn't going to work that way. Not happily.

How long have you been married? We're going on 35 years here.

Yes, once you get past the chyld baring years... it does get easier. My hyst at 40 sealed the deal in most eyes. (as written in another post... my father was a nut and apparently didn't know how reproduction worked. Maybe it's why I was adopted...lol)
November 21, 2011
mazey
I'm in my late 30s, in the beginning of our relationship my husband didn't understand anxiety and panic attacks. I was taking medication and in therapy at the time we met, but over the years he grew to understand my condition. He's a professional musician, he's outgoing and he's a natural speaker and is good with people, we're totally opposite in that regard. We've been together over 10 years now and there have been times in our relationship when he didn't have a job and I was the breadwinner or times when we both worked and I had more work than he did, so it all balances out. We look out for each other. When I was in my 20s I functioned much better in society and was able to socialize a bit and work but a long course of events set me back. I think I will probably have to start taking anti-anxiety meds again soon. I haven't taken any for about 3 or 4 years now. I don't feel like a prisoner in my own house, I feel like a prisoner of my own mind sometimes, lol.

My hubby has always had a knight in shining armor deal with me. He's super protective. As long as he is with me in public outings go smoothly. Which is good since I am not on any meds....i probably SHOULD be but I cannot stand the side effects of chemicals in my body. My chemistry does NOT respond well to drugs. The only thing I can take without side effects has been birth control and that only helps balance some of my bi polarism (not to mention other lady problems). Nothing for the anxiety. I got so tired of being a drug induced zombie or a medicine guinea pig back in my teen years.
I really tried to work for the first two years of our marriage but I kept getting fired for having panic attacks. Several times I would get so stressed I would end up heaving in the bathroom. Got fired for that too. The last time I got fired the hubby said he was sick of seeing me so jittery all day every day and unhappy and he joined the army so I didn't have to work.
November 21, 2011
toomanybrats

I am also a gamer! Mass Effect, Dead Space, Fallout 3, BioShock, Half-Life 2

I LOVE RE5! I also thoroughly enjoy Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

HA! I love your comeback to that dummy. It clearly states "No way in hell!" It's amazing how breeder-brains just don't get it.

Lol I wonder just how many CFers are gamers on here.

And that's how a lot of the ignorant mass' minds work. They cannot comprehend why someone wouldn't want to do what they chose to do. They're completely self centered.
November 21, 2011
starlady

How long have you been married? We're going on 35 years here.

Yes, once you get past the chyld baring years... it does get easier. My hyst at 40 sealed the deal in most eyes. (as written in another post... my father was a nut and apparently didn't know how reproduction worked. Maybe it's why I was adopted...lol)

We're only going on 5 years (been together for 7) so I am always baffled when they act like we've been together for SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOOONG. /: What has marriage become to today's society? Ridiculous.

And I am SOOOO hoping for early menopause if I don't find a way to sterilize myself first.
November 21, 2011
The less people know about your life or why you don't have a "regular" job, the better off you'll be. People will always be judgmental if you don't fit their preconceived mold so telling them you have a disability, unless you are in a wheel chair, will only invite unwanted commentary because "invisible disabilities" aren't acceptable to the vast majority. If it's a mutual choice between married people that one doesn't have a traditional "job", they will assume something other than what it is and make uninvited commentary on THAT too, as you have already experienced. If they ask what you "do" you can always ask them why they want to know and you will get an interesting array of responses which makes it easier for YOU to counter or evade. While you are waiting on their response is also a good time for you to think of a response too since so many of them seem to enjoy catching people off guard with their intrusive line of questioning.

It's really NONE of anyone's business what you do or don't do, including if you have a job. "Why would you want to know", or "Why do you ask?" puts them on the defensive and less likely to dole out unsolicited advice, at least that's been my experience. A common response is, "I don't know, I was just curious" to which a good comeback is simply,"Oh, okay" and then change the subject with a question like, "What does YOUR wife do?" or, "I do a lot of things, which one would you like to know about?" If you say it with the right tone and follow it up with a question it should cut their nosy ass off at the knees.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
November 21, 2011
I'm afraid of that sometimes, too. I mean i'm a full time student now and working part time from home so i'm occupied most of the time. The odds are now that my husband found a job in a city and my university is in another city and we don't quite live together. It's not that big distance between the two cities.

Being an immigrant is not so easy for me to find a job especially that the language of my country is not an easy one at all so there is the possibility of staying at home for a while. And i'm also afraid of those kind of comments: "what do you do all day? start calving now that you finished studying!" This is also enforced by the amount of women immigrants who marry a local and immediately start shitting out kids and stay at home because state will give them good money for it and they also have their wallet erhm husband.

I did an internship in a local art gallery which promotes multiculturalism and besides art gallery it was actually a day center where all foreign women came with their 2-3-4 brats drank coffee and discuss the latest titfeeding news. Needless to say they were all SAHMs. I was asked by one of them what do i do and when i said i'm a student and training in x field to get a job, the answer was:
"You'll never get a job here, you'd better start having baybeees at least you get money for it"smile rolling left righteyes2
November 21, 2011
kidlesskim
The less people know about your life or why you don't have a "regular" job, the better off you'll be. People will always be judgmental if you don't fit their preconceived mold so telling them you have a disability, unless you are in a wheel chair, will only invite unwanted commentary because "invisible disabilities" aren't acceptable to the vast majority. If it's a mutual choice between married people that one doesn't have a traditional "job", they will assume something other than what it is and make uninvited commentary on THAT too, as you have already experienced. If they ask what you "do" you can always ask them why they want to know and you will get an interesting array of responses which makes it easier for YOU to counter or evade. While you are waiting on their response is also a good time for you to think of a response too since so many of them seem to enjoy catching people off guard with their intrusive line of questioning.

It's really NONE of anyone's business what you do or don't do, including if you have a job. "Why would you want to know", or "Why do you ask?" puts them on the defensive and less likely to dole out unsolicited advice, at least that's been my experience. A common response is, "I don't know, I was just curious" to which a good comeback is simply,"Oh, okay" and then change the subject with a question like, "What does YOUR wife do?" or, "I do a lot of things, which one would you like to know about?" If you say it with the right tone and follow it up with a question it should cut their nosy ass off at the knees.

I went with a different approach actually. I Pinkie Pie them. (Husband's phrase lol)

I basically just start blabbering away in a fakie singsong crazy voice till they wig out and leave. Because honestly I didn't want to socialize with them and I just do not care what they think. They aren't worth my time so I might as well get some amusement out of it.

I NEVER tell these people why I don't have a job. Ever. As you said it is NONE of their business. I share with you guys because it's the net AND you seemed less likely to be cuntmongers. And if the Pinkie Pie Method doesn't work to make them eff off I get downright nasty. And of course by that point the husband has already started looming behind me if he's anywhere nearby.

I handle them I just think it's rude and stupid for people to pry into a stranger's life.
November 21, 2011
blackpearl
"You'll never get a job here, you'd better start having baybeees at least you get money for it"smile rolling left righteyes2

/: Gah. I want to punch them for you D: They are one of the things wrong with the USA. I mean I love my country but I do not love most of the people in it.

On a sidenote: If you're an immigrant where are you from? I don;t think I've seen you say...I probably missed it lol.
November 21, 2011
The guy in your unit sounds like kind of guy who can't stand to see an unencumbered female--wants all of them knocked up and knocked down a peg or two.

What works for you is your business. As long as you aren't asking him to support you, it's NOHB.
November 21, 2011
bell_flower
The guy in your unit sounds like kind of guy who can't stand to see an unencumbered female--wants all of them knocked up and knocked down a peg or two.

What works for you is your business. As long as you aren't asking him to support you, it's NOHB.

Perhaps. I couldn't tell if he was a misogynistic asshole or just a programmed breeder drone. He acted like he had never encountered anyone that didn't want kids and couldn't understand what we were saying at all.
November 21, 2011
Being a housewife rocks! I've been married for 30+ years and worked full-time at home (editing academic manuscripts) for most of those years. Always being at home meant scheduling doctor appointments, home repair visits, and plain old relaxing at MY convenience.

Now I'm, uh, involuntarily retired (academic presses are saving money by cutting out editing, proofreading, and design) but being the housewife still rocks! It's like the bright side of the bingo, "OOOH, you'll change your mind." You CAN change your mind if you want to: to take a course, volunteer at an animal shelter, read to your heart's content--anything you want PRECISELY because you have free time and no kids.
November 21, 2011
quills
blackpearl

/: Gah. I want to punch them for you D: They are one of the things wrong with the USA. I mean I love my country but I do not love most of the people in it.

On a sidenote: If you're an immigrant where are you from? I don;t think I've seen you say...I probably missed it lol.

I'm not living in USA, but in Scandinavia, moved few years ago from Romania. Majority of immigrant women here are exactly how i said above and no wonder i'm put into the same category. Most of locals who are friends with my DH's family or DH are expecting me to pop out a parasite any moment, everytime they meet there is always the question: is she knocked up yet? It seems that my efforts to get my MA and a job do not count.

Perhaps. I couldn't tell if he was a misogynistic asshole or just a programmed breeder drone. He acted like he had never encountered anyone that didn't want kids and couldn't understand what we were saying at all.

To be honest i can't make the difference. The specimens i met had both these characteristics...male breeders are most of the times misogynistic assholes and otherway round.
November 21, 2011
I've been bingoed just for working from home. People like to talk about their jobs so it's very common to be asked what you do. Whatever the answer is should satisfy the asker but it doesn't and there lies the problem. If you can't deal with the answer, don't ask the question.
November 21, 2011
blackpearl

I'm not living in USA, but in Scandinavia, moved few years ago from Romania. Majority of immigrant women here are exactly how i said above and no wonder i'm put into the same category. Most of locals who are friends with my DH's family or DH are expecting me to pop out a parasite any moment, everytime they meet there is always the question: is she knocked up yet? It seems that my efforts to get my MA and a job do not count.

To be honest i can't make the difference. The specimens i met had both these characteristics...male breeders are most of the times misogynistic assholes and otherway round.

Oh sweet goddess....Kudos to you for breaking free of their breeder mold! thumbs upup

I grew up with an abusive misogynist for a father. I do not take that attitude from anyone now....hence why the hubby had to hold me in place so I wouldn't eviscerate the moron. I've been running the scene through my head right now and he was just too insistent to have just been a drone anyway.
November 21, 2011
blondie
I've been bingoed just for working from home. People like to talk about their jobs so it's very common to be asked what you do. Whatever the answer is should satisfy the asker but it doesn't and there lies the problem. If you can't deal with the answer, don't ask the question.

That's because they can't comprehend all of the work, organizational skills, and self discipline it requires to own and operate a successful business from home. Most sole proprietorships-partnerships-family owned businesses operated out of a home base also involve at least one person working "in the field" too which is especially true of small couple owned service oriented businesses like my husband and I own. It wouldn't make any sense for us to pay 2k+ a month for office space in town when we don't have "walk up"-retail customers and our service is provided on location. Therefore, I operate the business end of it out of my home office, but because I am technically "at home" while answering business calls from customers and vendors, ordering and receiving supplies, handling the book keeping, etc.........MANY people assume I don't have a "job" or any set schedule and can just do as I pleaseeye rolling smiley

I had the same damned problem when I owned my own real estate appraisal business for many years, but even though I had an actual office at a different location it was assumed that "making my own hours" meant I could fuck off and do as I pleased which couldn't be FURTHER from the truth, at least not if you expect to make any money! If one more person says to me, "It must be nice, making your own hours.....", or "I wish I could "stay at home" implying I sit around and watch Netflix all day, or WORSE they imply I am a "kept woman", I might have to take a swing at them! Sure, there's plenty of time to "goof off" IF it isn't busy, (like at a REGULAR job) but when it IS busy you are a literal slave to your own business. If you run a successful business then you work more hours overall than you do when you work for someone else because you NEVER "clock out", there are no "sick days", and regardless of the hour of the day you HAVE to deal with your customers-clients, IF you want to keep their business.:bdid

I have worked for companies before and have experienced both sides of the fence and they both have up and down sides but they BOTH are work! WHY so many people don't think you have a "job" if you don't work for someone else or have a separate office for a home based business only shows ignorance on their parts. They envision a home based business as sitting on their asses and like it was a vacation which is why so many home based businesses are failures. It's along the same line of thinking as people who assume wealthy people have it made in the shade and sip Mint Julips all day long while someone is painting their toenails and waxing their yacht. The Donald Trumps, Oprahs, and Bill Gates of the world are generally workaholics, which is a great deal of the reason they ARE so wealthy. They didn't get where they are by fucking off.:headbrick

These mindsets are PRECISELY why when most people win the lottery or otherwise come into a substantial "windfall" they almost ALWAYS lose it in record time. Their perception of what is considered a "large amount" of money is exceptionally inflated and they don't consider expenses, taxes, or any other business related aspects of it beyond spending it like a wild eyed starving monkey suddenly dropped into a lush jungle full of bananas.shrug

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Anonymous User
November 21, 2011
I find it awesome that you're enjoying your life while still being financially stable. Personally, it's not the life for me, but my life isn't your life. :3 Of course, only breeders would automatically correlate housewife to SAHM.

However, I wouldn't exactly call it a "job". A way of living, yes. However, comparing it to a job is no better than those moo's who call themselves nurses and cooks.

*I saw the word "job" in the OP, so if you retracted that statement, then see it as obsolete.
Anonymous User
November 21, 2011
I have anxiety disorder too!! Seems like a lot of us have anxiety disorder. I work p/t but I can't work 40 hours due to health problems.

If I might brag for a minute, I am 50 and still have a pretty hot body. No stretch marks, no saggy boobs, few wrinkles (half Irish pasty white skin-must avoid direct sun. My Jewish ancestors were blondes too).

Men want hot wives who lavish them with attention. Now...I hope I'm not offending anybody. Anti anxiety drugs can put on weight.

There is nothing wrong with being a housewife. Think why it got a bad name...because many housewives are tired mothers who don't have time to spoil their guys. You might have more sex, cook better food, be free to travel and have fun, fix up your house and keep it clean, whatever. Things guys like.
Anonymous User
November 21, 2011
Here is how I got sterilized. I complained INCESSANTLY to a woman gyn about my horrible, painful, messy periods (which was true) and got that thing where they burn out your uterine tissue. I LOVE IT. No more periods.

It works, people! What are they going to do, have a guard live with you and check your tampons?

It was also almost painless.
November 21, 2011
le_recepteur
I find it awesome that you're enjoying your life while still being financially stable. Personally, it's not the life for me, but my life isn't your life. :3 Of course, only breeders would automatically correlate housewife to SAHM.

However, I wouldn't exactly call it a "job". A way of living, yes. However, comparing it to a job is no better than those moo's who call themselves nurses and cooks.

*I saw the word "job" in the OP, so if you retracted that statement, then see it as obsolete.

job
1    [job] Show IPA noun, verb, jobbed, job·bing, adjective
noun

anything a person is expected or obliged to do; duty; responsibility:.

I was using this definition of the word. But you can pretend I didn't say "job" if that floats your boat. I'm still performing a service for another human being that in turn keeps a roof over my head.
November 21, 2011
bluevelvet
Here is how I got sterilized. I complained INCESSANTLY to a woman gyn about my horrible, painful, messy periods (which was true) and got that thing where they burn out your uterine tissue. I LOVE IT. No more periods.

It works, people! What are they going to do, have a guard live with you and check your tampons?

It was also almost painless.

O_o I have never heard of that procedure! Do you remember the name for it?
November 21, 2011
I think home maker can be called a job. Some people, like my neighbor, take it very seriously and no one who works outside the home could do all the shit that woman does. I like that she is the neighborhood watch while most of us are gone during the day.
November 21, 2011
Quills, my sister had the procedure. It is called a uterine ablation. Ask your OB/GYN about it, although you might get "bingoed".

As for the working from home, do you find that a lot of military families are into Amway? (aka Scamway)? If so, they will Never shut up about their business!
November 21, 2011
blondie
I haven't been bingoed, but belittled for it.

We sell stuff online, which somehow goes into most people's heads and translates as "not a proper job".
I guess that's why wanky terms like "ecommerce" were invented.

I'm guessing it's jealousy, as most seem to think we don't work as hard. Which is sometimes true, but I doubt they'd swap for our all nighters and insane rush times.

We're both gamers here too btw, I'm loving skyward sword :jump
November 21, 2011
mr. neptune
Quills, my sister had the procedure. It is called a uterine ablation. Ask your OB/GYN about it, although you might get "bingoed".

As for the working from home, do you find that a lot of military families are into Amway? (aka Scamway)? If so, they will Never shut up about their business!

I've got a new list of things to ask my gyno about on the 30th. I'll research this uterine ablation and see what the risks are and perhaps add it to my list. I expect to get bingoed. I will be bringing a document from my therapist ( who I have an appt. with the day before lucky lucky) that says I am sure on no uncertain terms I do not want to be a mother nor would be fit as a mother. I love my therapist. She's like so CFer supportive.

I don't know what Amway is??? I've never heard of it.
November 21, 2011
quills
le_recepteur

job
1    [job] Show IPA noun, verb, jobbed, job·bing, adjective
noun

AGREED!! Exactly what I do. It IS a job. Not a job I go to that brings home a paycheck, but it's a job where I have responsibility for things that must be done. Some may think it's 'cushy' but it can be hard and time consuming. I get tired and I get sore from housework, cooking, yard work and running errands. Done right... it ain't no walk in the park.
anything a person is expected or obliged to do; duty; responsibility:.

I was using this definition of the word. But you can pretend I didn't say "job" if that floats your boat. I'm still performing a service for another human being that in turn keeps a roof over my head.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login