Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does the name *really* matter?

Posted by Dorisan 
Does the name *really* matter?
November 16, 2014
LINK

Seriously? My dad called me 'Bird' when I was a kid (I refused to answer to that name from anyone else); my grandfather called me Bethann (from my middle name); a favorite co-worker called me Tess (derivation of first name). I was fine with each name because I had a unique status to each of those people. If the grandparents want to call the kid something different, as long as it's not an offensive term, so fucking what?

IMO, Moo is teaching her kid to be an insufferable snot. And Moo needs a clout up the back of her head

Update: PILs are visiting again and have still said her name wrong almost every time. We were celebrating my ydds first birthday, which is basically ruined because of them

Yeaah, the grandparents might have been passive-aggressive in not calling the kid by its sacred-to-moo name, but saying that ruined the party, and the moo kicking them out? FFS.

And the cow sure is getting udder rubs from the rest of the herd. Bitch must not experience a lot of problems if she gets this huffy over it.
Re: Does the name *really* matter?
November 16, 2014
Dorisan, I'm thinking that you and I have the same first and middle name. It's a pretty common combo, so I'm not surprised.

I empathize with people about being called a name they don't like. My grandmother insisted on calling me Betsy, which I LOATHED. Any other nickname derived from my full name was fine, but not Betsy. I felt like it was what you would call an old horse. But I was much older by the time I decided that. A three year old is just parroting what her mother says, and I highly doubt the kid really cared.

Also, I feel like the mother is insisting that everyone call the kid by both her first and middle names all the time, which is a mouthful and is a pain in the ass.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
November 16, 2014
I've always associated my first and middle name with "Holy Shit". Because I KNEW I was getting whacked! Lol! The only real reason to do that is to differentiate two people with the same first name and last name, which I don't know why that would be an issue because it would make no sense.
November 16, 2014
All this drama over the fact that they don't say her middle name? Sounds like Moo is just looking for an excuse to boot his parents from their lives.

November 16, 2014
I don't blame anyone for getting pissed about being called by the wrong name. I hate it when people try to shorten my real life name (and my name isn't easily shortened, so it puzzles me when people try) and will correct them every time. But at three years old, I'm guessing that this girl is simply repeating what her mother's told her.
November 17, 2014
I'm going to have to side with Moo this time, I'm afraid. If you keep saying someone's name wrong on purpose - no matter whether the name is ridiculous or not - after being corrected, that person is right to be pissed at you. These two probably have a beef with Moo and decided to be passive-aggressive about it. The sproglet is three, sure, but it's still rude.
I also have to agree with starvingauthor, it was probably an excuse to boot them out of their lives. If this is how they always act, I can't blame her.

I don't have low self-esteem. That's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else.
-Daria
November 17, 2014
awesominatrix
I'm going to have to side with Moo this time, I'm afraid. If you keep saying someone's name wrong on purpose - no matter whether the name is ridiculous or not - after being corrected, that person is right to be pissed at you. These two probably have a beef with Moo and decided to be passive-aggressive about it. The sproglet is three, sure, but it's still rude.
I also have to agree with starvingauthor, it was probably an excuse to boot them out of their lives. If this is how they always act, I can't blame her.

Probably is some intra-family stress; that's what that board is for; but when the kid is older and friends call her something different (I'm thinking she might get tagged as 'KD' at some point), is Moo going to become a screaming meemie over that and force her to end friendships? If a boss should say "I believe it would be more professional to simply address you as Kaylee," would she, being raised to be intransigent about the name, say "call me Kaylee Dee or I quit!"

We had a generation of parents raising their kids to be entitled little shits, now another one is coming up with a sense of my-way-or-the-highway.
November 17, 2014
Yeah, I gotta say, being called a name you don't like is really annoying. As for a three year old, my cousin, Sophia, would turn an absolute FIT when anybody called her Sophie, and she was like, probably four when I first saw it happen. She just hated it, so it is possible that this kyd simply doesn't like it, either. That should be respected, but the level of drama created by (no doubt the fucking grandmoo) is unnecessary.
November 17, 2014
That said, the name Kaylee Dee, all one name, is really fucking redneck.
November 17, 2014
I've heard the 'labels' folk should have for parents, good, bad , indifferent..
good, annoying, or down right evil. And the kids have to learn how to deal with them at whatever level.
if they are toxic, evil ... definitely 'no contact!!'
all too often we see a moo with a kid, bowing, scraping, licking her own evil parents ass by sending them the grand kid (for whatever reason) because moo is still trying to please the toxic parent. ('oh my Donnie deserves to know his graaammmmaaa' type of crap. when graammmaaa lost custody because she tried to kill said moo)
nuff said.

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
November 18, 2014
I have to say that I think adults should really respect what the kid wants to be called - whatever form of his or her own name they wish to use. Not if the kid insists on being called Princess or something completely whacko though, mind you.

My dad refuses to call me by the shortened version of my name that I go by, because it also happens to be my Mum's name (they are divorced). He calls me another derivative of my name - I don't like it, it's not my name. It's not that I don't like the name, but it's not mine. He just decided after they split up that he didn't want to call me the same name as her. It pisses me off no end. He's done it since I was a kid and no amount of reasoning with him, me getting upset or angry about it or anything will make him do any different.

I also had teachers call me various shortened names that again, I didn't like, and were not the name I chose to go by. I think it is very disrespectful, not to call somebody by the name that they have expressed that they wish to be called.

If it were a trans person who wanted to be known by a name associated with the gender they wish to identify as, we would think it pretty awful for people to continue to refer to them by their original name.
November 18, 2014
I dropped my middle name a long time ago because I didn't like it.

Unfortunately my first name is usually associated with a "middle name" (you'd be surprised how many people ask me if I'm a -Anne, -Sue, -Beth ad nauseum.

I'm like, nope.

Just a very simple, four-letter first name.

Brought to you by the "Keep the name simple, Stupid" council for a better America.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login