Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Halloween butthurt begins.

Posted by aliceblue 
Re: Halloween butthurt begins.
October 28, 2015
We went to a haunt show expo one year, which is a sales convention that caters to the haunted house industry. It was INCREDIBLE. My favorite thing there was a full-sized crypt with a weeping angel draped across the top who would periodically rise a good 20+ feet into the air (on a hydraulic lift of some kind, I think) and shriek. She was thousands of dollars, otherwise I'd want one for the front yard year round. XD
October 28, 2015
kittehpeoples
We went to a haunt show expo one year, which is a sales convention that caters to the haunted house industry. It was INCREDIBLE. My favorite thing there was a full-sized crypt with a weeping angel draped across the top who would periodically rise a good 20+ feet into the air (on a hydraulic lift of some kind, I think) and shriek. She was thousands of dollars, otherwise I'd want one for the front yard year round. XD

I alawys wanted the zombie from skymaul

mumofsixbirds
I just hate that I have to alter my life because I don't wish to fit in with something that doesn't make any sense to me in the first place. Halloween has never been my favorite time of year, but that's kind of weird, since I am heavily into the paranormal.

We have something in common! I am really into the paranormal too! My interest stems from stuff that happened when I was a kid. I'm always looking around for places that are said to be haunted and trying to find the stories behind them. There's also a really neat story about the land my parents own, but it's not for this thread.

Do you have google chat or something? It's always nice to chat with another paranormal enthusiast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They are having children for selfish and narcissistic reasons, or are simply irresponsible. Funny... Those are the terms often used to describe the CF

~Live, Laugh, Love~
October 29, 2015
Sanctioned begging time here is from 3:30-6:00 TOMORROW, OCt. 30th!!

Why? Because parents that CHOSE to live out on the rural roads and who's kids go to school here in town do not want to have to bring their kids back in on Saturday. How lazy can you be?

Just as six rolls around it's getting dark - what's the fun in that? Part of the thrill of going out trick-or-treating was being out after it got dark! I mean I can see the parents not wanting their kids to cross the highway in the dark but if they are dressed properly with reflective tags on their costumes than it shouldn't be a problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They are having children for selfish and narcissistic reasons, or are simply irresponsible. Funny... Those are the terms often used to describe the CF

~Live, Laugh, Love~
October 30, 2015
creativelycf
mumofsixbirds
I just hate that I have to alter my life because I don't wish to fit in with something that doesn't make any sense to me in the first place. Halloween has never been my favorite time of year, but that's kind of weird, since I am heavily into the paranormal.

We have something in common! I am really into the paranormal too! My interest stems from stuff that happened when I was a kid. I'm always looking around for places that are said to be haunted and trying to find the stories behind them. There's also a really neat story about the land my parents own, but it's not for this thread.

Do you have google chat or something? It's always nice to chat with another paranormal enthusiast.

Ahh, sorry I don't have Google chat, but you can always PM me here. I wrote in a past thread on the Patio about my haunted hat, with the spirit of a woman named Agnes attached to it. Every day is Halloween in my house, I suppose. grinning smiley
October 30, 2015
creativelycf

Why? Because parents that CHOSE to live out on the rural roads and who's kids go to school here in town do not want to have to bring their kids back in on Saturday. How lazy can you be?

Just as six rolls around it's getting dark - what's the fun in that? Part of the thrill of going out trick-or-treating was being out after it got dark! I mean I can see the parents not wanting their kids to cross the highway in the dark but if they are dressed properly with reflective tags on their costumes than it shouldn't be a problem.

With us it's 6:30-8:30 tonight. It was originally scheduled for Saturday, but the threat of bad weather got it changed. We have only participated a couple of times but had very few kids so we ended up with a bunch of candy we ended up taking to work, so we don't do it anymore. We just leave our porch lights off, as it looks like most of the neighbors do in our subdivision.
October 30, 2015
@JohnDrake - Around here, forbid the pwecious children should be out after dark! I mean yeah there's coyotes but they usually stay outside of town. If they do come in than they are usually more scared of you anyway.

I got suckered in to giving out candy at my parents house...I told mom I wasn't giving out any here eye rolling smiley I would rather just stay here and watch some horror flick on Shomi than try and watch TV there and be interrupted every 30 seconds. If there's anything left I am going to at least take some as payment for having to be there. They've got chips, corn twists (my favorite) and a box of fun sized candy bars.

Too bad I am not going into town Sunday or I would pick up some for myself - at half price.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Live, Laugh, Love~
October 30, 2015
creativelycf

Who the hell is at home then? Do people not work there? One year our town was split about Halloween on Sunday being ungodly ro something. A batch of them planned to TorT on Sat. I had a LOT of leftover candy that year because no f-ing way am I changing a holiday to cater to some butthurt moos & duhs.
October 31, 2015
In my area, Halloween and door to door Trick or Treating always happens on the actual day, October 31st, regardless of our frequently lousy Halloween weather, fundy or idiot parents' feelings or other bull shit.

This year, I created a lighted haunted graveyard in my front yard, complete with about ten gravemarkers with punny sayings, several floating spectres and grave poppers, and emerging body parts.

Near the front step are four underlit 3-5 foot tall cartoonish creatures.
The front step has colour-changing lighting, rope lighting and a few other decor items (freaky wreath, etc).

I may wear a costume that night. (Still deciding)

HANDOUTS:

Toddlers are getting:
- fancy fabric tote bag
- 'body parts' candy
- juice box / water / fruit

The school kids are getting a couple choices of :
- 24 pk crayons
- fancy reusable lunch bags
- 10 piece toy city set
- 'body parts' candy
- KidsHelpLine cards

Pre- teens are getting a couple choices of:
- 24 pk pencil crayons
- fancy large squirt gun
- hygiene stuff (ie toothpaste, bodywash, hairstyling, etc)
-'body parts' candy
- KidsHelpLine cards

Costumed Adults are getting a couple choices of:
- garden seed set
- tea / hot chocolate set
- hygiene stuff (ie toothpaste, bodywash, hairstyling, etc)
October 31, 2015
Wow Cassia, you go all out! Very generous.

I don't mind giving candy to the little costumed brats because I like our neighbors and remember how much fun it was at that age. What I don't like are the packs of teens just wearing hoodies - those guys get the root beer-flavored Dum-Dums (the Ebola of Halloween candy).

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
October 31, 2015
I don't think my area will get much or any Trick or Treaters this year (like last year) the whole town is in a 'No Soliciting' zone.
October 31, 2015
Miss_Hannigan
Wow Cassia, you go all out! Very generous.

I don't mind giving candy to the little costumed brats because I like our neighbors and remember how much fun it was at that age. What I don't like are the packs of teens just wearing hoodies - those guys get the root beer-flavored Dum-Dums (the Ebola of Halloween candy).

Thanks!
Most of the kids in my community come from very low-income families, which I can relate to from my own upbringing.

Last year, I had more time and energy and gave each kid an elaborate craft kit in which, I made a lot of items to encourage creativity and ecology.
This year, I had some health problems and an energy-sucking part-time job, so I had less time to make items.

I get about 5 - 10 toddlers, 5- 10 kids aged 12-15 years, 5 - 10 costumed adults accompanying their kids and about 25 - 30 kids aged 5-12.

I am an ardent bargain- hunter, due to my own life-long low-income, so most halloween treats are purposefully sought items that I can get on clearance at 75 - 90% off the regular price.
Occasionally, a paper coupon or app rebate can also be applied.

Examples:
- garden seed (10 -25 cents each, clearance price per package = 90% off).
- fancy tea packages (on sale, plus a further 50% off , a coupon or app rebate = about 90% off)
- toothpaste (sale plus coupon or app rebate = free, except 13% tax)
- hair products ( various 50 cents- $1, clearance 50% off, plus coupon or app rebate = 80-90% off)
- 3 bushels of apples (FREE harvest from neighbourhood tree)
- bottled water ( sale price = 75% off)
- 24 package crayons (25 cents, price match = 80% off)
- 24 package pencil crayons (50 cents, pricematch = 80% off)
- 10 piece toy city set (50 cents, clearance = 75% off)
- fancy large squirt gun (50 cents, clearance = 75% off)
- 'body parts' candy (3 different type bags, 90-100 pieces each, 25 (75) cents = 90 % off)
- fancy fabric tote bag (50 cents = 75% off)
- fancy reusable lunch bags (25 cents = 90% off, supported Habit for Humanity)
- fun pack of kid's bandages ( 25 cents, clearance = 90% off)
October 31, 2015
I have my lights off but the doorbell has still been rung a few times. If you're going to import a holiday at least learn all the rules.
October 31, 2015
The parents who were out around were the stay at home mom's mostly, I also seen a few dads who probably got off of work early to take their sprog out. They didn't actually start coming 'round till about four o'clock, along with the older kids who had gotten out of school. We got rid of almost all the treats, save for the few resses cups and pieces and one single Hershey almond bar I managed to snag on the way out the door.

When I do halloween I want to be the cool house that hands out full sized bars and / or cans of pop. Enough of this 'fun sized' garbage! I swear they keep getting smaller and smaller every year. Plus it's what everyone gives out, same old same old. Guess we will see what I can budget for next year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Live, Laugh, Love~
November 01, 2015
Halloween is finished (except for the tidying up of display items and give-away items).

The night was correctly forecast as cool and rainy, which is typical for our area at this time.
One little cutie that was about 3-4 years old politely asked for mittens !!!

There were about 30% less door knockers than previous years in which the weather was the same.
Everyone was super polite, appreciative and generally quiet. (Canadians....duhhh..)
The kids(and a few accompanying costumed adults) showed enthusiasm and energy.
About five kids did not make any effort to have any type of costume or mask at all.

As usual, a few older youth from the local church group collected canned goods for the local food bank.

A few neighbours came over to give me positive comments on my yard display and my costume.

THERE IS ALWAYS ONE :
The only slight issue was that an oblivious chav-alistic duh let his two kids (about 4 and 6 years old) wander through my front yard display for 5 minutes before they came to my door.
No one else thought to wander through the display all week, nor tonight.
There were plenty of indications that the display was not a place to wander.
There were tons of tripping hazards in the graveyard semi-darkness, including more than 120 feet of electric cords attached to breakable compact florescent floodlights, spikes and hooks for holding items down and about 40 bricks to weigh down the dozen or so wooden headstones.
After they got my treats, they hung around on my driveway to admire my display for another minute and seemed surprised and slightly annoyed that I felt I had to check to see if anything had been broken or dislodged after they had wandered through for the previous five minutes.
It looks like I will have to take the time / money next year to install temporary 'graveyard' ropes or fencing to convey that it is a 'Do Not Enter' yard display.
Le sigh !

Overall, celebrating Halloween by having a yard display and giving treats to local kids is a positive experience for my area.
November 01, 2015
mumofsixbirds

I very much like the paranormal, too.

In fact, the latest haunted property story I've been into is Shawnee Amusement Park in West Virginia. Good stuff. Very creepy how some genius built the park right on top of a burial ground (primarily Native American children buried there). Plus mostly kids deaths at the park not adults. I have to wonder if the living kids saw the ghosts of the dead ones made friends then got dragged to the other side with them?

And the photos of the park with the overgrowth on the ferris wheel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login