Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help me survive this baby shower.

Posted by danity 
Re: Help me survive this baby shower.
July 29, 2016
Ha! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out The lengths we will go to! grinning smiley
July 29, 2016
Ha! Yeah, the only reason I know is because I'm violently allergic and I had a co-worker who... enjoyed exposing me to it in combination with his insane cologne. (I think he had a crush.) It cost me the job, my voice for 2 months and my lungs for a lifetime (I now have asthma and can't tolerate any VOCs near me.). So you can officially claim that it can cause serious lasting damage to an adult, let alone a sprog/loaf. If I had to go through all that... It should at least give someone an excuse. smiling smiley
July 30, 2016
That's a nightmare. What an asshole. I hope you're in a better place now. What a douchebag.
July 30, 2016
Much better... but the damage he did will last the rest of my life. He basically gave me COPD, so I have the lung capacity of a lifelong smoker, all from working with him for 8 months. I loved the job, but that guy was just evil. Everyone in the company begged him to stop (wearing the fragrance and loitering near me) and he refused, watched me get sicker and sicker. Such a shame. Technically the perfume was more to blame than the smoking... but that's no reason to not use it as an excuse if you've got it.
July 30, 2016
thread jack:

I have asthma and migraines, both of which are aggravated by cigarette smoke and fragrance and I've had my share of workplace battles. I've had plenty of people, when asked by management not to wear perfume, come in still smelling of some cheap shit that sets me off and gives me a 48 hour headache/vomit spree. (The offenders usually say something like, "but....I'm not wearing perfume, I'm wearing lotion, (that also smells like shit)."

I've had managers tell me that smokers had just as much right to smoke (thank Todd when the government did something useful for a change and banned it altogether) and that I can only ask people to not wear fragrance that irritates me, but they should be free to wear something. (It all makes me sick.)

My most recent battle was over plug-ins. Someone took it upon herself to install those horrid Glade-PlugIns all over the building. I kept finding them and unplugging them. (Not getting rid of them because someone spent money on them and I'm not rude, but I was sorely tempted when they wouldn't go away.) I finally prevailed but not without management intervention. The perp just couldn't get it "but I want the building to smell niiiiiice." Jeebus Fucking Christ, shouldn't it be obvious that if you want your home to smell like it's a gas station bathroom, go right ahead, but you don't have the right to pollute the workplace with that shit. confused smiley angry smiley
July 31, 2016
Hi Guys!

So I'm back with an update on the fiasco!

First of all, it went way better than expected. grinning smiley
I did not receive one single bingo the entire time I was there.
There was horrible traffic on the way and I was delayed arriving which was a blessing and limited my time at the thing.
The food was really really good and made entirely by moo to be's best friend so was a great thing to converse about.
There were no brats thank heavens, so no awkward bits where I'd be forced to hold one.
My brother's birth mother was there ( he traced her recently and invited her) and she's a lovely woman, so another person I spent ages talking to.
Nmother was relatively well behaved. She was on good behaviour in front of bro's birth mother who she's secretly jealous of and jealous of their relationship, so she wouldn't let herself down in front of her. This was also in my favour.
All the other guests were friends of moo to be and were pretty cool and not in any way bingoey with me.
A low point was when one of them started talking about labour at which point I went out to "make more tea". Problem solved.
Another low point was opening the presents. All of them were like " ahh isn't that cuuuute?" "Isn't that adorable?" and I'm like " Does not compute" That was pretty weird and awkward.

Nmother in true Nmother fashion dominated the gift giving and gave way more than anyone else. It was embarrassing!
She also tried to cheat at some of the games and I saw some eye rolling from others. LOL!
The funniest thing happened though!
We played this game where you're blindfolded and have to stick a pacifier on a cardboard baby stuck on the wall.
I literally stuck mine in the kyd's eye! A true CFer!! Everyone else's was around the kyd's mouth and mine is stuck in it's eye!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I knew I'd make you guys proud!
Overall, I made it through and I can safely say that as long as I have air in my lungs, I will never attend another baby shower ever again.
They are excruciating. I'm glad it all went smoothly though and I have you guys to thank for that.

I want to thank each and every one of you for your amazing support and advice.
I was so much calmer going in because I had plans in place if the shit did hit the fan.
I'm so glad I asked you guys for advice and I will use it in future.
I've attached a pic of the pacifier stuck in the kyd's eye for lols.
I'll take it down in a while for privacy.
Thank you again, you were awesome! I came to the right place! smileys with beer

July 31, 2016
danity
Hi Guys!

There was horrible traffic on the way and I was delayed arriving which was a blessing and limited my time at the thing.
The food was really really good and made entirely by moo to be's best friend so was a great thing to converse about.

Terrific! Sounded as if Nmother was the main concern. Glad you were able to have a good time and not be derailed by others. smileys with beer
July 31, 2016
freya
danity
Hi Guys!

Terrific! Sounded as if Nmother was the main concern. Glad you were able to have a good time and not be derailed by others. smileys with beer

Cheers Freya! She really was. It went as well as I could have hoped! Thanks so much for helping me out. Your advice was spot on! smileys with beer
July 31, 2016
Glad it went well and that Nmother was reasonably well-behaved.

Good escape when they started talking about labor. I've become a pro at dodging out during those types of topics during gatherings. Bathroom, getting more food, spotting someone from across the room, or just a simple "Excuse me" as I move on.

So now you've done your duty and you're off the hook. You don't ever have to go to a baby shower again. Whew.
August 02, 2016
eye was good.
almost a pity you didn't get it up its ass...

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
August 03, 2016
Haha! Pity!

So glad Randomcfchick. A quick google taught me I'm not alone in hating these showers.
Lots of woman can't stand them, even moos.
August 03, 2016
danity
A quick google taught me I'm not alone in hating these showers.
Lots of woman can't stand them, even moos.

And if other mommies are fed up with them...well...that speaks volumes.
August 03, 2016
Yup, lots of articles saying people would rather be shot than go to one of these things.

They're a gift grabbing load of crap. My Edad (who had come to collect nmom) didn't like the way presents were opened in front of everyone because bro's birth mother gave one really beautiful and thoughtful gift and then felt bad because she didn't give multiple gifts like others did.
It's horrible that someone would feel shamed like that after giving such a beautiful present. sad smiley
August 03, 2016
What 's wrong with giving one gift? Sheesh. Ungrateful people. One gift is plenty.
August 03, 2016
It's gross! I know. I suppose she felt pressure. Like I said she's a lovely woman and someone I have a lot of time for.
She also travelled a long distance to be there. That's why I hate these things.
August 03, 2016
Multiple gifts??? WTF?? I haven't been to one of these things for a long time and I dont' remember 'multiple gifts'. Yikes. Gift grab on steroids.
August 03, 2016
danity
Cheers Freya! She really was. It went as well as I could have hoped! Thanks so much for helping me out. Your advice was spot on! smileys with beer

You're welcome danity, happy you had a decent time. drinking smiley
August 03, 2016
starlady
Multiple gifts??? WTF?? I haven't been to one of these things for a long time and I dont' remember 'multiple gifts'. Yikes. Gift grab on steroids.

Me either. Sounds as if moos are trying to push for a major gift spend, similar to a wedding. Yikes. Glad I'm not on any shower lists.
August 04, 2016
Yeah, it's like... we already bought a dresser for the Nephew and Harpatina and then we are invited to a shower and send another list of expensive gifts to choose from. THEN.. I'll bet they expect something out of us for Christmas too.
August 04, 2016
Thanks Freya!
Starlady, I've been catching up on the disaster you've been having. I'm so sorry.
I understand the crap you're going through, Hope you're alright.
August 04, 2016
starlady
Yeah, it's like... we already bought a dresser for the Nephew and Harpatina and then we are invited to a shower and send another list of expensive gifts to choose from. THEN.. I'll bet they expect something out of us for Christmas too.

They'll probably expect a Christmas gift for each of them or for you to spend triple on one gift. And begging without just cause is completely in vogue now. What is especially irksome to me is that most kyds own tons of stuff and don't need anything. I've even seen whiney single moos who have kyds who are virtually smothered in toys.

Those gift-grabbing mentality kids are in for a very harsh reality once they are no longer kyds, have to support themselves and make tough choices between necessities. It is rough enough if you don't have that kind of upbringing (gift-grabbing, everyone buys me things if I beg, we get tons of hand outs because of a single moo or duh household) because sometimes young adults have to choose between seeing a doctor or foregoing food, etc. And they're no longer a kyoot kyd so the handouts are over.
August 04, 2016
As a matter of fact... Nephew IS one of those 'gimme gimme' kyds from a single moo household. He is a spoiled lazy adult who can't hold down a job because he gets his 'pweelins' hurt when the boss looks at him the wrong way.

dainty.... I'm fine as long as I stay far away and only watch the trainwreck from a distance. My dh doesn't speak to the Nephew too much (that I know of) and I never talk to them. However.. once the loaf is sluced... and the holidays come around... I bet I will be expected to 'meet it' Thinking... perhaps I will... just to get more stories to tell on this board. I can suck it up for an hour or so.
August 04, 2016
starlady
As a matter of fact... Nephew IS one of those 'gimme gimme' kyds from a single moo household. He is a spoiled lazy adult who can't hold down a job because he gets his 'pweelins' hurt when the boss looks at him the wrong way.

dainty.... I'm fine as long as I stay far away and only watch the trainwreck from a distance. My dh doesn't speak to the Nephew too much (that I know of) and I never talk to them. However.. once the loaf is sluced... and the holidays come around... I bet I will be expected to 'meet it' Thinking... perhaps I will... just to get more stories to tell on this board. I can suck it up for an hour or so.

I getcha. Dreading having to do same with this kyd being born etc. ugh. Flippin Christmas too. Keep em at arms lengths and by arms I mean 50 miles!
August 05, 2016
danity
starlady

I getcha. Dreading having to do same with this kyd being born etc. ugh. Flippin Christmas too. Keep em at arms lengths and by arms I mean 50 miles!

At least they live 100 miles from us. Not like they'll be knocking on the door on a regular basis. wink
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login