Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not rebuilding a luxury car due to a sprog

Posted by cfdavep 
Not rebuilding a luxury car due to a sprog
August 29, 2016
https://www.yahoo.com/news/rare-cars-rebuilt-fatal-crash-161500722.html

Apparently a moo and her 13 year old "child" went into a luxury car shop and the 13 year old went ape shit over a rare Ferrari. The owner thought "why not really flip him out and take him for a spin" a mistake that cost the kid his life. This became a debate over whether the car should or should not be rebuild due to the fact that a "child" died in it to protect the the feelings of the victim's family. The evil child killer on wheels would be somewhere in a garage and maybe occasionally on a road where a family member may see it.
Re: Not rebuilding a luxury car due to a sprog
August 29, 2016
Sucks the kid died, but that's no reason to not rebuild and drive it or display it. If I or any other adult that isn't a breeder became road waffle, they'd rebuild that shit and not bat an eye.
August 29, 2016
cfdavep
The evil child killer on wheels would be somewhere in a garage and maybe occasionally on a road where a family member may see it.

Or it might escape the garage and plot further mayhem, like THE CAR

eye rolling smiley

Silly movie; I need to go watch it again.
August 29, 2016
The Car was one cheesy movie
August 29, 2016
Oh my god. I can't believe this is even a discussion. Why should the owner be deprived of his car? Even if the owner dies or doesn't want to keep it, why should the rare car community be deprived of it? That's utterly ridiculous. It's like saying a house should be torn down if a child dies in it. Or how about this: we tear down and rebuild hospitals every time they lose a patient under 18.
August 29, 2016
Fuck the family. They don't get to dictate what does or does not happen to other people's stuff just because some kid died. Unless that car is considered evidence and legally cannot be altered (either temporarily or otherwise), then they can shut their holes. What if this kind of entitlement applied to other aspects of life? If a kid dies on a particular road, should that road never get repaired again just because of the kid dying? If a kid dies in an ambulance, should that ambulance be destroyed? If some dumbass trespasses on my property and drowns in my pool, does that mean I have to uninstall my pool at my expense? The answer is NOPE across the board.

First, the circumstances are particularly horrific, as it involves a child

No, the circumstances are horrific because someone died. Yes, people die all the time, but it doesn't make it suck any less. It's not horrific that a child died because a brat's life is not worth more than an adult's life. Adults get killed in car crashes all the time. If the cars involved are salvageable and worth fixing, do you think for one second that the owners won't repair them just because someone died in an accident involving them?

Should collector cars involved in fatal crashes be rebuilt, or scrapped out of respect for the victims and their families?

Whatever the owner wants to do with them should be what happens to rare cars involved in crashes. If the owner feels too guilty over an accident their car caused or was involved in, then it's their choice if they want to sell/scrap it. If they want to repair their damaged car, then that's fine too. It sucks if someone else dies because of a collector's car, but the road pizza's family doesn't get any say in what becomes of that car because it's not their fucking car. If it's bawwwwww too haaaaaard for them to see the gorgeous vehicle that killed Uncle Ben or cousin Charlotte driving around town or showing up at vintage car shows, then they can move away. You can't expect other people to just up and throw away their shit because it hurts your peewins.

How's about this: If the family of the dead person wants the luxury car to be scrapped because its continued existence hurts their fee-fees, then I think they should be forced to pay the owner what the car is worth, which includes repair costs. I guarantee that'll shut their asses up because no one will pay thousands upon thousands of dollars for a car to be thrown away.
August 29, 2016
Unless the investigation into the kid's death is ongoing, the owner can do what he wants with the car. It belongs to him.

Okay, I'm all for respecting the feelings of the bereaved...but rebuilding the car won't disrespect them. Rebuilding it on their front lawn would be right out. But rebuild it quietly and discreetly, maybe in a different shop that's out of the reach of the media and the opinion-flingers (and yes, I realize I'm flinging an opinion right now smiling smiley )...no.

And yes, what happened was sad, regardless of the age of the deceased. The fact that it was a kid who died holds no water.
September 04, 2016
The car did not kill the kid. Driver error did. Not fixing this car could open up a case for future debates about sports cars in general because people who cannot control their fast cars, crash. Will it now be an extra liability to even own a fast car?
September 04, 2016
Unless it's evidence and can't be tampered with, it's up to whoever owns the car, just as it would be with any other piece of property that gets damaged. If the breeders, or anyone else, object to the car's continued existence they can purchase it and destroy it themselves.

Hell, if the person who died in it loved rare cars, they'd probably be less than pleased to know the car had to die with them, rather than being repaired so others could enjoy it.
September 09, 2016
Cambion

No, the circumstances are horrific because someone died. Yes, people die all the time, but it doesn't make it suck any less. It's not horrific that a child died because a brat's life is not worth more than an adult's life. Adults get killed in car crashes all the time. If the cars involved are salvageable and worth fixing, do you think for one second that the owners won't repair them just because someone died in an accident involving them?

Exactly. We were involved in an awful accident in which a 22-year-old woman died. It was a cold, rainy night, she lost control and did a 180 in the grass median and ended up being hit square head-on with a truck that was in the left lane next to us in the right. She wasn't wearing a seat belt and the car didn't have air bags, but I think (hope) that death was instantaneous. She did have time to be scared as she lost control, though, and it guts me to this day. My husband walked back to see if there was anything he could do, as he used to be an EMT. I asked how she looked, and he said she was in the back seat with her head down and she just looked like she was asleep. You have to take what you can get, I guess.

So, my brand new car got dinged up because we ended up being pushed into a ditch. No injuries. But OF COURSE I can't, HELLO, afford to try to convince my insurance company to 'total' a perfectly good, brand new car that was easily fixable. Oh yeah, man, I'm sure they'd be all over that. **eye roll**
I mean, if we started doing shit like this on a regular basis, we might as well not have auto insurance at all. You know what DID happen, though? That fucking greedy-ass trucking company took up so much of their coverage to repair their oh-so-precious-more-valuable-than-anything-else-EVAR POS truck that WE never got a penny of our deductible back. So, really, much of the time, fuck the insurance anyway. That's what they're doing to us, after all.

I'll tell you what, though, assholes out there who think a childfree woman is some kind of 'thing' who has no feelings, I mourned for that girl. There's not an xmas that passes that I don't think about it. Still couldn't afford to buy another car after having that one for only five months. Life really sucks sometimes, and that was just one time it really, really sucked for a lot of people.
September 09, 2016
"She did have time to be scared as she lost control, though, and it guts me to this day."

I was in a car accident where I was in the left lane and a moovan drove in front of my oncoming car and just stopped. She was supposed to wait at the break in the median to wait to get on the highway to go left, but decided to wait sideways in the path of those coming at high speed in the left lane, cause moos, you know. I hit the brakes and the tires were screaming toward the moo, my front end toward her on the driver's side, STILL no knowledge of the oncoming car. I went left around the front of moovan to get around her with the brakes to the floor and went around the front. I looked to the right and saw the grill of the van coming at the side of the car. I stepped on it and moo hit the back fender and I came to a stop. She was 100% at fault, but one thing I noticed that while it was happening there was no fear, it was just happening in a neutral way, like leaving the body, so that woman wouldn't have suffered mentally as it happened and shock would overcome anything physical before she died.
September 10, 2016
Um, one anecdote where you personally weren't afraid means absolutely nothing to someone else's experience. In fact, I'll use my own anecdotes. I've been in two serious accidents and several fender benders because I was a city courier. All of them were so fucking terrifying I had panic attacks during and afterwards, even the fender benders.
Everyone's brain is wired up differently.
September 11, 2016
Presto

Everyone's brain is wired up differently.

Yep, and I felt what I felt then and feel what I feel now. Won't apologize for that. I've had plenty of close calls where I certainly did have time to be scared, so I'll go with she 'possibly' had time, too. If indeed it was the same sort of thing for that young woman that cfdavep experienced, then like I said - you take what you can get.
September 11, 2016
"Um, one anecdote where you personally weren't afraid means absolutely nothing to someone else's experience. In fact, I'll use my own anecdotes. I've been in two serious accidents and several fender benders because I was a city courier. All of them were so fucking terrifying I had panic attacks during and afterwards, even the fender benders.
Everyone's brain is wired up differently."

Just was making a polite comment that just the individual who was in the accident didn't have to feel bad about something that was not their fault, won't make that mistake again.
September 11, 2016
"Um, one anecdote where you personally weren't afraid means absolutely nothing to someone else's experience. In fact, I'll use my own anecdotes. I've been in two serious accidents and several fender benders because I was a city courier.
Everyone's brain is wired up differently."

Just was making a polite comment that just the individual who was in the accident didn't have to feel bad about something that was not their fault, won't make that mistake again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login